Your Writing Stats

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

Re: Your Writing Stats

#46 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

These days I am programming much more than I am writing. So... it's along the lines of 7000 words in one week, sadly, despite my constant working.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

AnthonyHJ
Regular
Projects: Past Mistakes
Organization: Freya's Aett

#47 Post by AnthonyHJ »

On a good day, I write 2,000 words in a morning and take the afternoon off. On a bad day, I write 2,000 words and climb quietly into bed at 2am hoping not to wake my wife.

And when up against a deadline, I'll write 5,000-8,000 words in a day. Only when I have a deadline though; it's a kind of magic, I think.
Recent work - iSchool Dreams: First Semester / iSchool Dreams: My Valentine (iPhone / iPad, dating sims)

pucedragonlord
Regular
Projects: The Diviner
Organization: Two Crowns Entertainment

#48 Post by pucedragonlord »

I couldn't give you a concrete number, I'm afraid. Assuming I know exactly what I want to write, I can go as fast as I can type (somewhere between fast and I-spend-too-much-time-typing), but this tend only to happen in 1000 word burst or so. I'm a traditional prose writer, which may or may not be what you're asking about (VN writing is far more like screenwriting, which I also do, but less often. Generally speaking screenwriting goes faster, but that's a different discussion), so I pick and chose every word as carefully as possible--each sentence must be perfect in form and content, else it would not be worth including in a piece. As a result, my pace tends to be very slow, sometimes even less than a page an hour (on average 250-450 words, depending on font and spacing and all that nonsense). I have never been fond of outlines. I rewrite everything from scratch for draft two anyway, so my first acts similar to one.

All that said, when I was concerned about my future as a writer, a brilliant professor once said to me "the more difficult writing is for you, the better a writer you are. A novel written in a week has far less substance than one that takes a year." It's advice I carry with me every time I sit down to write.
The more you know