[UPDATED] tutorial: Attaching Admob to RenPy

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
stwkun
Regular
Organization: Stw Projects

Re: [UPDATED] tutorial: Attaching Admob to RenPy

#46 Post by stwkun »

After trying several times, I finally managed to get the application working with advertising. I have tested with renpy 7.4.8.

Steps to consider

►Don't update anything in android studio

►Change play-services from 17.0.0 to 17.2.0

Code: Select all

compile 'com.google.android.gms: play-services-ads: 17.2.0
►When you are entering the text size.SMARTBANNER, wait for the text editor to suggest the word, otherwise it will give you an error when you synchronize

►Finally, in your admob account add a test device (configuration - test device), this will help the application show the advertising banner

If it would not be too much trouble, I would like to know how to add more methods of inserting advertising to our projects and I would also like to thank you for creating this tutorial

stwkun
Regular
Organization: Stw Projects

Re: [UPDATED] tutorial: Attaching Admob to RenPy

#47 Post by stwkun »

Hello again, I thank you in advance for creating this tutorial, it helped me to create a small profit for the applications, although it is not much, it helped me a lot in these difficult moments.

Now the reason I'm posting again is because admob is making changes and it's probably going to cause problems with apps that are published this way.

Recently this message appeared in my admob account and I have no idea how to fix it
Later this year, Google will require all publishers serving ads to EEA and UK users to use a Google-certified Consent Management Platform (CMP). You can use any Google-certified CMP for this purpose, including Google's own consent management solution. If you are interested in using Google's consent management solution, start by setting up your GDPR message and implementing the UMP SDK. Learn more
I searched on youtube for the solution to this problem and I found this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeA_FBl6Lw&t=9s

, but I feel that it is not enough because the indicators show zero

There is also a problem with the play-services-ads. When I have tried to put other values, android studios fails to create the application.
com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads-lite:17.2.0
This SDK version has been reported as outdated. Upgrade to a newer version (19.3.0+).

Starting from August 7, 2023 00:00 (UTC) you won't be able to release new versions which contain this SDK version.

com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:17.2.0
This SDK version has been reported as outdated. Upgrade to a newer version (19.3.0+).

This SDK version has a note from the SDK developer. Here's what the SDK developer told us:

This version is officially deprecated, and will soon disable ad loading. Please update to a new version. See https://developers.google.com/admob/android/deprecation for more details.

Starting from August 7, 2023 00:00 (UTC) you won't be able to release new versions which contain this SDK version.
If there are more experienced users on this topic, I would appreciate if you share the solutions you have found to these recent problems in admob and play-services-ads