Controlled Chaos; or, Second Origins (demo up to Ch 8)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#76 Post by PyTom »

BCS wrote:^80s style? *grin* I've not been told that before.

I don't know if I've even watched that much older anime, unless Evangelion and Escaflowne count ...
Eva was 1995, and Esca was '96. Way to make some of us feel really old...

(Crotchety old man)Why, back in my day, our featured giant robots! And we liked it! None of this high kids dressing up as maids, or bunny girls, or returning from the future as an older version of themselves...(/Crotchety old man)
Anyway, I set up a voice-acting thread like Pytom suggested, even if its a tad belated. So far, nothing in my inbox, but I do realize it takes a while to prep such things.
Well, you did get quite a few responses on the thread... so I think it wouldn't be too surprising if responses start coming in. The first response was 7 minutes after you posted... that makes me think that at least some people are interested. (For good reason, probably.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#77 Post by dizzcity »

PyTom wrote:
(Crotchety old man)Why, back in my day, our featured giant robots! And we liked it! None of this high kids dressing up as maids, or bunny girls, or returning from the future as an older version of themselves...(/Crotchety old man)
Voltron! :D Or Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, anyone? Heck, Astro Boy, even... :P

Sorry, little offtopic. On topic: Slowly playing through the third version now. So far, I'm impressed by the quality of character art and writing. Suggest making the Database a timed effect rather than click-to-continue. I actually waited for 3 whole minutes before I realised that I had to click to get past the "Accessing Data Storage" text. I had assumed it would be timed.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#78 Post by Alessio »

<off-topic>
BCS wrote:^80s style? *grin* I've not been told that before.
Reminded me a bit of Venus Wars, Mospeada, Macross, Hurricane Polymar... you name it. Very nice. :)
PyTom wrote:Why, back in my day, our featured giant robots! And we liked it!
Oh yes! Mazinger! Daltanias! Daitarn 3! Steel Jeeg! Oh, the memories... reminds me I wanted to make a 70ies Robot VN after G!MB... hm. Maybe not a bad idea. And as a rule, there always was romance between the main hero and the daughter of the professor. Or something like that. :)
</off-topic>

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#79 Post by monele »

Alessio wrote:Oh, the memories... reminds me I wanted to make a 70ies Robot VN after G!MB... hm. Maybe not a bad idea.
Count me in o_o... I'm already sad UP can't have giant robots the way I've made it XD...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#80 Post by Watercolorheart »

On that note, I have a lot of auditions. o_o;; By really good voice-actors. So I'll quit bugging people here. XD

http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/sh ... ge=1&pp=10

I made a thread at VAA, it's astonishing how fast they reply ... damn ...

God, you people make me feel young. I never saw the original Voltron aired on TV or I never caught it between the age of 6-11, I was born in 1986 ......

But I probably had my nose stuck in books like Bio of Space Tyrant and Pern and whatnot instead of, you know, vegging in front of the tube.

As for the timed delay, I totally agree with that and would love to implement it .... but I'll have to ask PyTom because I can't code anything beyond basics. *embarassed grin*
I'm not even the same person anymore

denzil
Veteran

#81 Post by denzil »

There are two ways to pause:

Code: Select all

renpy.pause(delay=time in seconds)
this waits time you put there, but let user to click and skip it
or

ui.pausebehavior(time in seconds)
this doesn't let user click, so there's no skipping until time passes
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#82 Post by Watercolorheart »

Oh. Can I include that in a definition code without breaking Ren'Py?

Jake
Support Hero

#83 Post by Jake »

Just as an aside - I've been meaning to comment on CC for a while, just finding the time seems to trip me up... but personally, I found the delay on the definitions just stopped me from ever clicking on them, it irritated me enough to put me off exploring the feature. To have a time delay rather than a click-through would be even worse, from my point of view. Is there any real reason it's there at all?

(The storytelling, I liked, it's nicely engrossing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it, if you'll excuse the double meaning... ;-) )
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#84 Post by Watercolorheart »

(laugh) It's a love or hate thing with people playing the game. Again, they're not exactly vital to the playthrough, but if you don't know what osmosis or eidetic means, it's not a loss either.

Also, I implemented PyTom's code for the definitions, they look differently now. Heh.

I still need to figure out how to change the link color from that light blue to something else.

~~~

SQUEE!

Lucien Dodge is alive, he e-mailed me some of his lines as Matthew. I really couldn't imagine that character with anyone else's voice, after he auditioned once for Doctor Mitchell in ToF, and I was like: Hey, that'd be a waste of a great VA, why not try some of these lines instead?

That was like, 3 years ago, but he's kept the voice consistent, sounds almost exactly the same as it did then. XD

Also, he's moving up to NYC, so he's been busy for a while.

I also cast Mizura (Rina) as Yukina's voice off of the VAA forums based on her work in Pasokon. She sounds quite a bit differently as Yukina. I don't have anything to show for it besides some audition snippets, but it was enough to convince me that she'd be able to carry that character.

It was sort of funny, Lucien wrote back to me recommending a girl named Rina for the role, and I was like, oh, I was already considering this person that goes by Mizura before he told me we were thinking of the same person. LOL.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#85 Post by PyTom »

Also, I implemented PyTom's code for the definitions, they look differently now. Heh.
:-)
I still need to figure out how to change the link color from that light blue to something else.

init:
    $ style.hyperlink_text.color = "#f00"
(Or whatever you want the color to be.)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#86 Post by Watercolorheart »

PyTom wrote:
:-)

init:
    $ style.hyperlink_text.color = "#f00"
(Or whatever you want the color to be.)
That's so simple I might even remember it without copying and pasting ...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#87 Post by PyTom »

Actually, you probably also want to set style.hyperlink_text.hover_color to something, so there's an indication to the user that they've moused over it.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#88 Post by Watercolorheart »

Thank you, PyTom.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#89 Post by Watercolorheart »

Wow, I was bored and feeling stifled last night. I said, "Someone on a forum said 'When I can't draw, I write, and when I can't write, I draw' and that's what I do." So she says, "What do you do when you can't do either?"

I was like, "Animate."
Attachments
laura_lipsync.zip
(152.02 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
laurashooting.png
laurashooting.png (117.41 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#90 Post by DaFool »

omg, that has more lip-sync than even some anime I've seen.

So if you have to end up converting all of those to mpeg...actually I think the filesize will increase far more than what its worth...since its only a few frames, how about just making an animation sprite out of it...

-Export the frames from Flash.
-Use a constant rate for each image, i.e. .1 seconds

OR

-Export just the keyframes
-Use a variable rate for each image, i.e. .4s, .3s, .2s, whatever timing you used in Flash. The last frame shouldn't have any time if you want the animation to stop and not loop back.

So how about it? Ren'Py the Real-time Animation Engine. Cool, huh?

edit: Oh yeah you have to start the sound just before showing the animation. Theoretically it should be synced.