Questions On Adding Multiple Buttons

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
yuunistar

Questions On Adding Multiple Buttons

#1 Post by yuunistar »

If anyone has seen the tutorial/game for Ren'py, Eillen asks what you would like to know and multiple buttons show up.
I was wondering how to do that, for I currently can only put two buttons at a time and they're positioned in the middle of the screen. If anyone has any tips or answers on having multiple buttons and arranging them on the side, it would be great help. Thanks.

Ellume
Regular

Re: Questions On Adding Multiple Buttons

#2 Post by Ellume »

Well the tutorial is open source so you can just select it as a project in Ren'Py and then look at the scripts.

yuunistar

#3 Post by yuunistar »

Yes, I've tried that, but for some apparent reason Ren'py says error and won't let me load the game.

Ellume
Regular

#4 Post by Ellume »

What is the error?

yuunistar

#5 Post by yuunistar »

Well, here's what it says:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

While running game code:
- script at line 65 of /Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/Book Report/game/script.rpy
- python at line 65 of /Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/Book Report/game/script.rpy.

I don't know what I'm really supposed to do.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Can you post the full traceback?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

yuunistar

#7 Post by yuunistar »

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/main.py", line 310, in main
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/main.py", line 93, in run
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/execution.py", line 259, in run
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/renpy-6.11.1/renpy/python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "/Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/Fly Away Home Report/game/script.rpy", line 65, in <module>
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

While running game code:
- script at line 65 of /Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/Book Report/game/script.rpy
- python at line 65 of /Users/yuuni/Desktop/Yuuni's work/Book Report/game/script.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.1b