Another day, another arbitrary amount of money

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

Another day, another arbitrary amount of money

#1 Post by Friendbot2000 »

So how many of you work part time/full time at a job? If so what do you do and tell us aboit it.
I work full time as a hardware technician for a government contractor. I mostly work with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, keeping their outdated computers and fancy gadgets afloat. You would be surprised to know just how much stuff breaks out there on the border of the U.S.
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: Another day, another arbitrary amount of money

#2 Post by Sapphi »

Since I'm currently taking classes, I have two part time jobs. One is at my college, where I help file everyone's documents into their student files, and the other is at a factory where we make drywall patches and some other stuff that has to do with steel. So... both very monotonous, boring jobs. :P But probably the best minimum wage job category for someone like me who is very shy (being a cashier or answering phones is a nightmare job for me) and the upside is that since my jobs are pretty easy I can think about the stories I'm writing while I'm at work :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Let's see... I import/sell printers, specialized printing machines and printer inks at wholesale level, I also own a factory in Pampanga that manufactures low gauged steel studs for construction and a distributor of Wallcladding Systems... I also own a few prime advertising spots within metro manila and currently running a fleet of ad-trucks... schedule is unrelenting... so I cherish every little bit of freetime I can squeeze...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#4 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Sapphi wrote:...the upside is that since my jobs are pretty easy I can think about the stories I'm writing while I'm at work :lol:
Ah, I remember those sorts of days well. If you must sell your life in 8-hour chunks to someone else, it's always nice to get the opportunity to do a little of one's own work while at, um, work. :lol:

Me, I'm constantly on the phone, providing tech support for field technicians who can't quite figure out how to fix up ATMs.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

I sell games. Please buy my games! :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

I write! Please read my writing! XD No, seriously, writing is my full time job.

Oh, and I'm occasionally paid to talk at a mic.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Until yesterday I worked casual at a cafe as, well, everything. Waitress, Barista, Customer Service and lots and lots of cleaning. Technically I was part time but my boss was doing illegal stuff. I had been working there while I was in my last year of uni, but I have resigned and I am going to try freelance work for a while. I was getting really angry with customers. They were all getting really rude and I was this close to doing something violent. No-one knows manners any more. The stories I could tell >:(

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#8 Post by SilverxBlue »

My current part time job is giving tutorial services to little kids, the payment is almost not worth it though, I usually get stressed, I can't make some of them listen.
*sigh* I'm never cut-out to be a teacher
Auro-Cyanide wrote:They were all getting really rude and I was this close to doing something violent. No-one knows manners any more. The stories I could tell >:(
Ack, I know what you mean there, I tried having a part time job at a certain internet cafe last year and one customer started being rude and practically shouted at me, because she managed to download a virus (she even demanded me for payment of her beloved mp3), I wanted to tell her. "Would you PLEASE shut the f*** up, I'm not the one who gave you the stupid virus!"
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#9 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

SilverxBlue wrote:My current part time job is giving tutorial services to little kids, the payment is almost not worth it though, I usually get stressed, I can't make some of them listen.
*sigh* I'm never cut-out to be a teacher
Auro-Cyanide wrote:They were all getting really rude and I was this close to doing something violent. No-one knows manners any more. The stories I could tell >:(
Ack, I know what you mean there, I tried having a part time job at a certain internet cafe last year and one customer started being rude and practically shouted at me, because she managed to download a virus (she even demanded me for payment of her beloved mp3), I wanted to tell her. "Would you PLEASE shut the f*** up, I'm not the one who gave you the stupid virus!"
One of my friends does that, she is at uni training to be a primary school teacher. She has the some worries with kids, but I think she will be a good teacher.

Oh and customers! People asking me to pick out the 'good' chips, claiming we are doing false advertisement because we have sold out of something and demanding free stuff, NEVER listening to you, talking on mobiles while ordering, NEVER saying please or thank you and when you give them an option of regular or large, they want one 'in the middle'. There is no in the middle! I gave you two options! Pick one!

One of the worst ones was the pancake lady. My boss had disappeared somewhere and I was left to train a new girl. It got nightmarishly busy, we ran out of bread and ice-cream, I had to abandon the new girl so I could fix things. One person was having issues with a customer so I went over to solve the problem.
Pancake Lady: I want to see the manager!
Me: She isn't here at the moment. What is the problem?
Pancake Lady: I got one set of pancakes but the others didn't come!
Me: (turn to the guy who had been talking to her) What happened?
Guy: The new girl served her and only put one lot of pancakes through.
Me: So she only paid for one?
Guy: Yes.
Me: (impressed that any pancakes got through since she had to remember to tell the kitchen because it doesn't go through automatically) I'm sorry, we have a new girl on at the moment and it has been a little hectic. You only paid for one lot of pancakes. Now you can...
Pancake Lady: That isn't good enough!

...Excuse me? A new girl made a mistake and it isn't 'good enough'? Since when has it been forbidden for new people to make mistakes? Pancake Lady, get out of my store >:(

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

@Auro-Cyanide:
Apparently this sort of ridiculous behavior is something commonplace in food service from what I've heard recently from people at work and school. Just the other day two classmates of mine who work at subway said that they have a sign up that says if you're talking on your cell phone in line, they'll skip you. They said that there are people that come in, stay on their phone, and freak out when they get skipped over. There are even people who try to hand the phone to them (while they have gloves on to make the sandwiches) to take orders from people on the other end!!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

I'm a sales rep for a direct marketing company. I sell callcenter services and related evil marketing tools to companys in need of improving communication with their customers.

Oh - and I sometimes get paid for writing dialogue scripts for video games :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#12 Post by SilverxBlue »

@ Auro-Cyanide - I totally understand how your friend feels, teaching kids is a very tough job.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:when you give them an option of regular or large, they want one 'in the middle'. There is no in the middle! I gave you two options! Pick one!
:lol: I never knew those people existed, I never encountered one of them.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

I used to read customers_suck on livejournal (which is all about the horrible, unreasonable customers that workers encounter) but I felt it appropriate to balance that by reading bad_service (which is all about the horrible, unreasonable WORKERS that customers encounter). :) There are a lot of rude people on both sides of the counter out there!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#14 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

papillon wrote:I used to read customers_suck on livejournal (which is all about the horrible, unreasonable customers that workers encounter) but I felt it appropriate to balance that by reading bad_service (which is all about the horrible, unreasonable WORKERS that customers encounter). :) There are a lot of rude people on both sides of the counter out there!
Ah yes, but most customers can choose where to go. I, unfortunately, was stuck behind a counter and had to put up with a whole bunch of bull with a smile. Sure, some people get bad service (especially trying to get help over the phone or out of 14 year olds), but I always wonder how many people that whine about bad service are bad customers? Or how many of them are super friendly under stress in their on jobs? After doing retail, there is a lot I can forgive with bad service. Bad customers on the other hand, most of them are just rude and arrogant.

Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

#15 Post by Friendbot2000 »

sake-bento wrote:I write! Please read my writing! XD No, seriously, writing is my full time job.

Oh, and I'm occasionally paid to talk at a mic.
Do you write only for games or do you have a published novel?
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games