NOTICE: Have you released a game recently?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

NOTICE: Have you released a game recently?

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I have volunteered to bring the Ren'Ai archives up to date. If you have released a REN'AI game that is not yet on the archives, that you would like me to add to the archives, please PM me with the necessary information. (You can see the information I need by looking at http://www.renai.us/all.shtml . Don't forget the game summary)
I will browse the "Completed Ren'Ai Games" forum, trying to gather all necessary information myself; however, direct information from the authors is much more likely to be free from errors. It will also make my job easier ^_^
Also, if you have a particular screen shot you'd like to use, send that to me as well.
Thanks

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Hey, that was a great thing to do, te RAA have been so empty for such a long time. Good to see people care about the site 8)
Good luck with the work and looking forward to the update. I suppose Secretary Of Death is a ren'ai game, so as I said in the thread, feel free to snatch screenshots and descriptions from our site.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Before I add a game to the archives, I will make some changes to the game files that I view to be beneficial (Ren'Py games only). This will include deleting save files, deleting unnecessary directories (such as "docs","extras", etc.), deleting .rpy files (uncompiled script files), and adding files necessary for other platforms. I will also rename the "run_game.py" file if necessary

I assume that these changes are considered "beneficial". However, if you dislike Mac users for some reason, and don't want them to play your game, let me know, and I won't add mac support. Or if you want users to see how you scripted your game and/or don't mind them changing the script as they see fit, tell me, and I'll leave the script.rpy file intact.

I will not obfuscate images, as this requires changing the game script to import the archive. However, I highly reccomend doing this. Refer to the Ren'Py reference manual for details.

I will not run lint, or add_from

Thanks for all of your help. If all goes smoothly, I should be able to upload all the games by the end of this weekend.

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#4 Post by Kikered »

If you could kindly add Quine to the archives as well, that would be fantastic. I think all the necessary information and items are located in its thread in the Completed Games section. As for a screenshot, any shot will do.

Thanks for taking this up. :)
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest against removing the script, if the game-maker decided to distribute the game with the script.

If the original copy of the script is lost (for whatever reason), the copy of the game script in the archive may be the only copy left. I don't want to lose that in the name of saving a few k of space.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#6 Post by Alessio »

Thanks for the good and quick work, ShiraiJunichi! G!MB should already be all clean (no save files etc.), but feel free to cross-check. I agree with PyTom that script files should not be deleted if the author left them on purpouse. They are most welcome for learning new tricks - and to show newcomers how easy it is to make a VN. :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Knowing what to keep and what to discard in a distribution can be a little tricky, I think. I assume scripts that were left in were a mistake, as authors who left in the script.rpy file also left in the .rpy files in the "common" directory. I deleted them not to save space, but to prevent others from hacking the game. For future reference, I will leave those files alone. And if an author would like me to add those script files back in for games I've already uploaded, feel free to PM me.

However, the Ren'Ai archives aren't the only sources for the games. These forums themselves act as an archive. So in the event that the author vanishes, the original script would remain intact in these forums.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by mikey »

Well, it's a very good job so far. SoD and G!MB (blast you Alessio, always having to put in that exclamation mark makes it a hard abbreviation! ^_^ I would want to write GMB, which would be kind of natural and all, but there is that exclamation mark and that means I have to move my fingers to the number row and that isn't flowing all too well... But then I feel if I wrote GMB that it would mean I don't care or so, so that's not a good thing to do - kind of like people write Mikey instead of mikey - it's not a big deal and I don't care, but then again I really appreciate when someone respects the small letter, and so I don't want to seem like I dis your game, but even if I knew you wouldn't mind if people abbreviated the game GMB instead of G!MB, I would still feel like it's not the completely right thing to do, because I do respect that game and I really, in all the cases where I can, try to observe correct abbreviations and title names. Well, it happens that I don't, but... I don't mean it, so in my mind it's still the correct abbreviation, so it's not like I don't know, but sometimes you're in a hurry and all - of course that shouldn't be an excuse and I'm not making it one, but generally, I always try to do the right thing here - so that's the reason I write G!MB, and it really seems like just a second extra, but it does somehow break the speed of my writing - maybe I am just used to type in a certain way, so I guess, ultimately the problem is on my side, but I just wanted to... well, you get the idea.) :D :) :lol: :cry: :wink: :P :?

Ummm... sooo.... SoD and G!MB don't have working permalinks... that was kind of what I was trying to say...

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

All kudos go to PyTom. All I have to do is gather the files, upload them, and fill in some forms. All webpages are computer generated.

I don't know what's up with the permalinks... I entered all the games pretty much the same

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, so maybe the problem is with the name of the game. SoD and G!MB both have names that consist of more words - Katherine and Quine have only one word... :? Mysterious... 8)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#11 Post by Alessio »

mikey, it seems you badly need to write a long, long VN. I can see your fingers are itching! :)))

Ah yes, I use the exclamation mark to be annoying. Mwahaha! Maybe I should find a good alias forum name as well along the same lines... what about a!e551o? L33T!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

I've adjusted the tags to be short names as per the other games in the archive. The permalinks will have changed, but the rest is the same.

ShiraiJunichi deserves all the credit, and I deserve very little. Most of the admin interface is auto-generated for me, by Django.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Whew! All done. Well... there is one more I'm waiting on- but I'm not sure how long that will be... I hope all game creators find their game to be satisfactorily represented.

That was more work than I thought. All that recon... I had to use Quattro Pro to keep everything straight ^_^;;; But it gave me a good excuse to play some of the games that I've been putting off for a while. And I was able to choose the screenshot for Hikari no Ribbon ^_^ . Don't ask me why I'm so happy about that- I just am!

One thing that is strange though... the newer version of wings (the cross platform zip) is 1.2 megabytes larger than the older version... I thought it only had a few bug fixes...

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by musical74 »

Just sifted through all of it....GREAT job, ShiraiJunchi! :D
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Thanks. *takes trophy and stands up on podium* I'd just like to thank all those who made this possible. All the game makers here at the lemmasoft forums.