Should I redo/ start over my latest project?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Dream9
Regular
Completed: MiniBot
Projects: Ah! Peku

Should I redo/ start over my latest project?

#1 Post by Dream9 »

Hey everyone :]

I think I've reached that point where i'm starting to leave behind the "noob" stage of programing and I'm ready to dive deeper into more complex stuff. Finished my first game using just if statements, conditionswitches, and imagemaps, and I'm quite proud of that!

Here's the problem... I've already started a new game (just days after I finished my first), and so a lot of the script is done without much knowledge or intent of higher leveled concepts. In other words, I've realized that there are probably much easier ways to do things, and I don't want to limit myself by designing a whole game without that in mind.

Also, not that there is anything wrong with my art or current pixel style, but as I think about the story, this game would probably have a bigger impact if done differently...

SO! I need your opinions!

I've attached what I have done so far (I warn you... there is no sound, the map is only 50% done, and I haven't added an intro or any bits of the story yet). However, it should function fine.
Note:
* Press the "Controls button" then "D" to switch to keyboard controls.
* While on keyboard controls, press "Y" to open the contols menu, then "Y" again to switch back to mouse controls.
* If you press "A" while looking through the telescope, you trigger the minigame.

Should I redo it and start from scratch? If so, what features do you like/ dislike? What should I keep?
Attachments
Ah Peku-win32.zip
Only uploaded the windows version... sorry!
(6.31 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

matheus

Re: Should I redo/ start over my latest project?

#2 Post by matheus »

I liked to choose his caracteristics.

It started here really small (idk if it's because my resolution is 1280x800)

somehow I managed to press the right button of the mouse and made it fullscreen, I came back to desktop and tried to open it again, the console image was partially black but with the On/Off button it returned

My character appeared when I was in 'controls' and clicked on one of the arrow buttons

I went to the star minigame, but I couldn't see the instructions because when I clicked on it the game started, and I lost.

I met George later @.@, tried to go to the cinema but it was closed. :(

Dream9
Regular

#3 Post by Dream9 »

matheus wrote:I liked to choose his caracteristics.

It started here really small (idk if it's because my resolution is 1280x800)

somehow I managed to press the right button of the mouse and made it fullscreen, I came back to desktop and tried to open it again, the console image was partially black but with the On/Off button it returned

My character appeared when I was in 'controls' and clicked on one of the arrow buttons

I went to the star minigame, but I couldn't see the instructions because when I clicked on it the game started, and I lost.

I met George later @.@, tried to go to the cinema but it was closed. :(

Oh O.O wow... well thanks for trying it out o.o

Uhmmm... yeah, it's supposed to be very small. The screen size was correct. I tried to disable the fullscreen option, but I guess it didn't work... My intent was to have it appear to be a handheld device, thus the small screen. I'll probably get rid of this option if I redo it.

I'm not sure why the character appeared. I guess I'm so used to only pressing the buttons I program that I forget to test what happens when other ones are pressed. Switching it to full screen may have messed up some of the code... maybe? Like I said, it's only like 30% done, so I'm sure there are bugs and all.

The instructions for the telescope game haven't been made yet, which explains why they wouldn't open... similair to the strange things the characters say, and the closed movie theater.

I guess my main point was do you like the setup of the game? That it appears as a handheld device, all the options, the pixel art? The screen size?

Or should I redo it and make it into more of a VN and less of an adventure game?

:P

matheus

#4 Post by matheus »

I guess my main point was do you like the setup of the game? That it appears as a handheld device, all the options, the pixel art? The screen size?

Or should I redo it and make it into more of a VN and less of an adventure game?
Ah, sorry :oops:
I've never had any handheld gaming device .-.

Pixel art was ok.
It is well made so far, I would play the way it's now if it was completed.

It gave the RPGMaker2000 feeling, but my dumbness the controls made it harder to play.

I like VN over RPG in PCs, but it's me.

Dream9
Regular

#5 Post by Dream9 »

Thanks for the feedback ^_^ ...I guess I'm probably going to start this project over...