Teacher Student relationships

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

Re: Teacher Student relationships

#91 Post by Destiny »

@Sapphi
I love you for the holy words reference, seriously :'D

I find it interesting that a male teacher has such a bad reputation :)
As far as I know male teachers are the teachers LEAST interested in students. The female teachers are often those starting the flirting, male teachers have to be heavily flirted on to go the same way.
So you could say, the female teacher is often rather a femme fatal then "the nice gentle lady" while the male teacher can be even seen as some kind of victim of the teenagers ego.
Even though the male teacher surely can create huge damage by simply his power and body, but still, they seem to be much more aware of the situation and avoid it active.

Maybe that is why I find female teachers waaaaaaaaay more scary then male teachers (and I say this as a future female teacher, isn't that sad? :'D).
I mean, when I look at my fellow students...
There are some woman running around all dressed sexy and with an flirting attitude, telling about how being a teacher is the easiest job ever and how convient it will be. I can already imagine that these woman will try to control their class surely not by home work, detention and strict rules, but...

Anyway, the male students I was allowed to meet are very kind and caring men all highly worried about how to treat the kids.
BUT they all want to go for the older schools, because they seem to be almost afraid of the teens between 12 and 16.
Maybe they kind of sense it could be a dangerous age?
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

ZombieeDoll

#92 Post by ZombieeDoll »

I personally see nothing wrong with it. I didn't go through an entire 7 pages of forum posts, so I don't know if Faster than a Kiss has been mentioned, but the Faster than a Kiss manga was about a student/teacher relationship. It was actually quite innocent (besides the quirky cosplay bits XD). He doesn't touch her inappropriately and is a really likable guy. Their relationship works in the way the story was written.

The age thing doesn't bother me, either. The man I am married to is seven years older than I am, so perhaps that is why. I always did like them older guys... *giggle*

There will be a teacher/student type of romance in my game (WIP), but I'm kind of following the lines of him refusing to do anything couple-y (kissing, holding hands, dating) before she graduates because it would hurt his current career and upset his family.

Pyrephox

#93 Post by Pyrephox »

One of my favorite 'fantasy' relationships is romance between teacher and student, so obviously I think it should be included. However, there are valid concerns to be raised, and in a modern/otherwise realistic setting, I'm usually disappointed if the problematic elements of such a relationship AREN'T addressed. For one, it makes me think less of the teacher character - and in contrast, it makes me think far more highly (and find more attractive) a teacher character who is concerned about crossing those boundaries, especially when they're worried not about their job, but about the good of their students.

Also, the taboo nature of the relationship provides a fair amount of conflict and angst that doesn't, then, have to come from tragic backstories or random disasters, so I approve of that, as well. :P

dinogi

#94 Post by dinogi »

I am a teacher , but this bad relationship only happen with bad teachers.Some of my students attracts on me but I don't give any chance to do so .I know most of teachers is involved in this relationship but there must be a quality of teachers that never wants to do so . But none can wanna understand it and that's my pity for .

Last edited by dinogi on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#95 Post by gekiganwing »

Dinogi, please keep in mind that this discussion thread was not active for about three years.

If I chose to write a story including a teacher-student relationship, I would think about the following:

* Tone. Is it a whimsical story, perhaps with magic or science fiction elements? Is it a sober/serious tale that's meant to discourage people from thinking of it as a fantasy or a romance? Or somewhere in the middle?
* Setting. How to portray the world they live in.
* An aesop. What do I want to say with the story? Is there any message that I want to sent to the reader?
* Is there a point of view character? If so, who is this person?
* Who is the love interest? What conflicts exist in the characters' relationship?
* Is the relationship forbidden because of the characters' age gap, their status in society, or some other reason? If so, how do the characters deal with this?
* Are there other potential relationships? If so, how do I want to portray them?

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#96 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

As a teacher in Japan, the idea of student/teacher relationships is horrifying.

Seriously, if they are in school, they are kids. There's a very specific name for adults who are attracted to children. A lot of people try to justify it, especially in Japan, but it doesn't change the facts.

There are some schools where students are adults. We do have adults where I work, and I do know of a teacher who has physical relationships with some of his adult students. As far as I know, the husbands of those students haven't found out. Yet. Most other teachers know you don't shit where you sleep.

As far as VNs go, this idea has been recycled countless times. I'm not sure how excited the average player is about it.
Last edited by TrickWithAKnife on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

xelestial
Regular
Completed: Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, To the Edge of the Sky
Projects: Mystic Destinies: Echoes
Organization: Aeon Dream Studios

#97 Post by xelestial »

In the game we're developing, one of the characters I've created is a college professor. Our artist comes from a country where dating a teacher is apparently completely abhorrent so she's expressed her opinion on that a few times.

For my part, having a teacher was narratively useful and I knew a lot of people do like to date teachers/older guys in games so that's why I had him be a professor, business-wise it made sense.

Personally I think it's kind of weird irl when the teacher is actively teaching the student because it adds a strange personal element to the professional relationship. But that's true for a boss/subordinate relationship too.

But in reality, if an adult person met a professor outside of a college environment and began dating them I wouldn't care, so I know it's just some illogical discomfort. Plus I'd totally date a professor as an adult - I'd just wait till the class was over to ask him out.

Same with the boss. I believe people are uncomfortable with the idea of authority having an intimate relationship with someone because they're imagining some scenario where the subordinate is innocent and the person is abusing their authority.

But this is ridiculous in situations where both people are consenting adults and the relationship has nothing to do with professional relationship. It's just discomfort at an imaginary situation that could happen. Though of course if the student is in high school or younger that can be disgusting because the student is physically and emotionally immature.

In our game the student is an adult in college and the teacher is only seven years older. And he will be entirely uncomfortable with the idea throughout the story as we aim to represent things somewhat realistically.

However, from a writer and reader standpoint I don't see the issue in FICTION as long as the student is "old enough" and the teacher is fairly close in age. Then I don't get creepy old pervert vibes and fiction is for living out fantasies (who wouldn't have a crush on a young attractive teacher?)

(I do recall a book I read where a guy taught a girl magic from a very young age and when she became an adult she pursued a relationship with him. This made me uncomfortable because he was a parental figure to her.)
Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, an urban fantasy otome visual novel.
Website| Twitter| Facebook| Patreon

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#98 Post by trooper6 »

xelestial wrote:Plus I'd totally date a professor as an adult - I'd just wait till the class was over to ask him out.

Same with the boss. I believe people are uncomfortable with the idea of authority having an intimate relationship with someone because they're imagining some scenario where the subordinate is innocent and the person is abusing their authority.

But this is ridiculous in situations where both people are consenting adults and the relationship has nothing to do with professional relationship. It's just discomfort at an imaginary situation that could happen. Though of course if the student is in high school or younger that can be disgusting because the student is physically and emotionally immature.
Some notes.
1) Many universities have rules forbidding professors from dating students even if they are not in their class at that moment. This is usually about avoiding sexual harassment. So your professor may not be able to date the student no matter what.
2) I am a youngish professor at 43. I got my first job at 36. I had a 5 year gap between high school and college...so I could have been 31 when getting my first job. The idea of a 31 year old who has a job, income, a settled life and a bunch of social power dating an 18 year old? That is really squicky. If any of my students (all of whom are 18-22, making me old enough to be their father) asked me out after one of our classes...that would be a really big NO.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#99 Post by Kumiho »

trooper6 wrote: The idea of a 31 year old who has a job, income, a settled life and a bunch of social power dating an 18 year old? That is really squicky.
This. I don't feel comfortable reading a VN about a teacher/student relationship, whether the MC is the teacher or the student. It's not something I personally agree with or care for, and I don't see myself supporting it any time soon.

However, I do recognize that some people do enjoy reading and fantasizing about said relationship dynamic, and I see no fault in VNs/stories that cater to those individuals. Just keep it away from me pls ok or I will barf