A quick question for posters

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: A quick question for posters

#46 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Auron at 30? He looks and acts closer to 50. As for the two sprites, there's at least 20 years in between. I'm not buying two. Oh, and for the record, call me creepy, but I'd go for the middle-aged mother of two. Teenagers haven't yet been issued brains.

Oh, and the big-boobed girl is annoying too. Same with the snob and the cold-hearted girl. In AD, I got all three out of the way in one character, Ninette, St. Evermonde. She grates on my nerves, and she was horrid to write.
That, and she's completely underhanded, and will not think twice about selling Alex out to be killed.
I have some others, including one or two in traditionally 'male' roles.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#47 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@OtomeWeekend and Hayzel.
It's not an actual rule ^^'. It's a bit of a joke from the 'post your photo' thread.

And yes, that was my point about cliches being dominate in all genres. People do like them though, but it is nice to see at least a fresh spin on things. Everything doesn't have to fit in the mold perfectly for it still to have appealing aspects of a cliche.
But Japan has this obsession with youth that older ages are dramatically depicted. Take Auron from FFX. He's only 30, goddamn. Haha.
I think this also comes down to specific ages being really hard to depict in any stylized art form. Tiny lines suddely have a whole lot more meaning when there aren't very many of them. Even slight shading can change everything on you, so it is pretty hard to pinpoint some of the finer aspect of age. Everything tends to fall into 'baby, child, teenager, adult, middle aged, old, really old, nearly dead'. Trying to define things inbetween there and for different people is very hard.

@DarkSpartan

Thinking about it, it's probably another reason females are not as interest in BxG and vice versa. I can stand the male stereotypes in GxB. They may not directly interest me, but they rarely actually make be cranky. Females in BxG on the other hand quite often annoy me. I don't know if it is because I tend to be harder on females in general (including female protagonists) or because I know how girls think, but the desire to strangle them is strong sometimes. I wonder how males feel about the GxB love interests? I KNOW they are not realistic most of the time, but do they actually make you angry because of it? It's actually really interesting since it's not something I can directly study myself.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#48 Post by OtomeWeekend »

no,no xD I was hafly joking when i asked. Or more like, just reasoned it for making a new avatar(again)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by DaFool »

How could I miss this thread? So awesome! I like more girls in this forum. My hobby feels more validated.

On the other hand, let me tell you why BxG is rare nowadays. It's because they have to be 4-chan proof. (GxB games do not have to meet that requirement.) They have to have something unique going for them to be worth your time, otherwise just torrent another JVN, apply the English patch, and whola!

The standard has been raised whether you like it or not. I mean just look here:

http://indiegames.com/2011/08/freeware_ ... l#comments

Why would you spend years of your life to create something, only to be met with a comment like "Ah, another Western shitty game." or "Katawa Shoujo is way better." The participants in American Idol have it good -- at least for them it only takes 30 seconds to realize the audience thinks you suck. But not in this creative field... you have to spend many months of effort first.

So at this point, I'm only participating in or making a game I have a personal vested interest in. And in brainstorming for new projects, I abandon all ideas that already have a commercial offering. For example, some time ago I wanted to make my own Magical Boutique style game that's commercial, but Recettear and the Atelier series already did the job and fulfill that need.

Right now, the need that is not being fulfilled is Old School. You know, those of us who grew up on 80s and 90s OVAs with dark themes, convoluted plots and mindfucks at the climax. Romance, if existent, only being secondary to the plot. The designs, though stylized, would tend toward realistic than moeblob. Looking over my list of current and future projects, they all belong to either cyberpunk, steampunk, or medieval genres. In fact, I've been thinking of creating a group or site that gathers the projects that target this older male demographic. (I'm pretty sure older female demographic will also be attracted as long as the characters are realistically portrayed).

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#50 Post by Hayzel »

No love for BxB....what's wrong with you women!!!???? ((Though I do agree with Fawn's logic of it not being appealing less you can experience it.) But at the same time I usually ignore GXB games and pretend they are BxB X3)
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I wonder how males feel about the GxB love interests? I KNOW they are not realistic most of the time, but do they actually make you angry because of it? It's actually really interesting since it's not something I can directly study myself.
Like I said. I pretend I'm the protagonist and no the girl XD
Last edited by Hayzel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#51 Post by Hayzel »

There is some sort of glitch...I keep double posting somehow.
Last edited by Hayzel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#52 Post by Aleema »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I wonder how males feel about the GxB love interests? I KNOW they are not realistic most of the time, but do they actually make you angry because of it? It's actually really interesting since it's not something I can directly study myself.
Welp, there are plenty of Fenris hate threads, that just expound on his looks or their exaggerated account of his personality. As a woman, I don't mind him at all. But he may grate on the nerves of male players for obviously being designed for women. I grate my teeth every time Isabela talks. It's a fair trade, but some players are selfish and only want themselves served. Can't we both have our overly sexualized play things? :3

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: I wonder how males feel about the GxB love interests? I KNOW they are not realistic most of the time, but do they actually make you angry because of it? It's actually really interesting since it's not something I can directly study myself.
Honestly, the primary reason I don't like most GxB games is because they guys either make me want to stab them in the face until they are dead, or wretch up every meal I've ever eaten. Very few men in those scenarios are ever realistic. You get the occasional view of a particular archetype for a particular author that's more realistic than the others.

I rather expect it's because the author has dated someone like that in the past, and has a better grasp on them. That's a generalization, true, but it's one with at least a couple of cases I've seen personally. My wife could probably write 'fat, ugly old bastich' better than I could.

The Prettyboy invariably needs to be stabbed in the face and have his genetics removed so he can't contaminate the gene pool. Same goes triple for the Jock. Most of the others are mostly milquetoast and idiocy, and I have to wonder if you girls really see men than way.

@DaFool- You may like the projects I have upcoming, then. Although personally, as pretty as KS is, I'm not wild about the writing. It could have been done much better.

Edit: stuffs out of order. Fixed now.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#54 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

DarkSpartan wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote: I wonder how males feel about the GxB love interests? I KNOW they are not realistic most of the time, but do they actually make you angry because of it? It's actually really interesting since it's not something I can directly study myself.
Honestly, the primary reason I don't like most GxB games is because they guys either make me want to stab them in the face until they are dead, or wretch up every meal I've ever eaten. Very few men in those scenarios are ever realistic. You get the occasional view of a particular archetype for a particular author that's more realistic than the others.

I rather expect it's because the author has dated someone like that in the past, and has a better grasp on them. That's a generalization, true, but it's one with at least a couple of cases I've seen personally. My wife could probably write 'fat, ugly old bastich' better than I could.

The Prettyboy invariably needs to be stabbed in the face and have his genetics removed so he can't contaminate the gene pool. Same goes triple for the Jock. Most of the others are mostly milquetoast and idiocy, and I have to wonder if you girls really see men than way.

@DaFool- You may like the projects I have upcoming, then. Although personally, as pretty as KS is, I'm not wild about the writing. It could have been done much better.

Edit: stuffs out of order. Fixed now.

Hahaha! That is exactly how I feel about the female love interests.
Personally, I haven't played many games were I have really liked the male love interest. As males, they often seem a little... off. I know I'm perfectly capable of having a fangirl crush on a character, but just not very often in games. I love Rock Robin's main cast of males though. I feel they have a nice balance of flaws and virtues. A perfect pretty boy isn't very interesting in my opinion. I'm going to stand by the theory, the best way to write characters is to write them as real people.

Also, people are going to complain about games. No matter what you do. People complain about the games with million dollar bugets and a couple hundred workforce. They are going to complain about the free indie game too. People like to winge, it's best to just focus on what you can do and stick with that.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Some people can bitch about literally anything. 'Here, a million dollars, tax free and no strings' I guarantee someone will whine that it's not ten million, and demanding to know what the catch is. I'm working towards the best writing I can make in-genre, before I move on to a bit different type of game.

Personally, romance-games aren't my forte, so I made something of the type primarily for the challenge. I wrote a puzzle-comedy, and I have another of those coming, plus a cyberpunk game coming up, and more story-driven sequel to Academy Daze.

Of those three, all the protagonists are female. True, Nekochan is a cat, but the others are very human sorts of creatures, and have their downsides and upsides. AC, I'll be very interested in seeing what you think of the characters in Academy Daze when you get around to playing it.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#56 Post by sake-bento »

Blue Lemma wrote:@lordcloudx: Come to think of it, Alistair was a big spark in the mass female influx. It was all part of a plan for forum domination! :shock: *looks at sake*
I know nothing. Besides, everyone says it was Fantasia, so la~
OtomeWeekend wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:It's my masculine logo, isn't it? I need a guy avatar, in accordance to lemma soft's reverse gender rule.
:shock: Since when did we had such a rule here in lsf?! I was never informed... *goes to draw a new avatar*
I didn't know, either! I'm setting a terrible example as an admin, breaking the rules. D:

EDIT: Fixed. Now everyone who doesn't read this thread will be confused.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by OtomeWeekend »

and here I am, finally changed my avatar to a male one. x)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#58 Post by Joey »

OT but it seems like it's not just GxB getting more love; there appear to be several more BxB games in the making... \o/

I generally prefer BxB games to GxB. I don't really like bishonen all that much, and BxB games (those I've played, at least) kind of... tweak the stereotypes a bit so the love interests end up more manly.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#59 Post by KomiTsuku »

I just want a main character for BxG or a love interest for BxB/GxB with a mustache.

Oh, and comic I thought about as I read the posts. http://tenshi-no-hikari.deviantart.com/ ... /#/d3ad3b4

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#60 Post by Coren »

KomiTsuku wrote:I just want a main character for BxG or a love interest for BxB/GxB with a mustache.

Oh, and comic I thought about as I read the posts. http://tenshi-no-hikari.deviantart.com/ ... /#/d3ad3b4
Steins;Gate.

I don't like stubble, but Okabe is freaking hella awesome.