Visual Novel/RPG hybrid game?

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
Riku
Regular

Visual Novel/RPG hybrid game?

#1 Post by Riku »

Hi everyone!
I have recently been influenced by the game Corpse Party.
More information here: http://vndb.org/v2632
I would describe it by a mix between RPG and visual novel. First, because this is a game primarily focuse on history and on the other hand, because your character has a sprite that can move in the environment and interact with it (like in a RPG, but there is no battle).
In short, I recently had problems with writing my novel. It is a medieval fantasy story with a lot of travels and it is difficult for me to expressed, without inconsistency or without that be boring, the dialogue scenes. So, when a saw the way Corpse Party was done, I just think that will suit perfectly to my game.

The major problem is that I don't know at all how to make it with Ren'py. I don't even know if it's possible. If someone have an idea about how to do it, juste let me know. It would be a great help! :mrgreen:

P.S.: I know that I can easily make it with a soft like RPG maker, but the fact that is a visual novel and note an RPG makes that pratically all the functionalities of the soft are useless and makes the game heavier. Also, the fact that RPG maker is not create to make visual novel cause a lot of problems.
Last edited by Riku on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Visual Novel/RPG hybrid game?

#2 Post by jack_norton »

It's surely possible, but not easy. I've made two VN/RPG games already (though I'd dare say are more RPG than VNs) but you need to learn python and screen coding very well, there's no other shortcuts :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#3 Post by Anima »

Well, there is a Tile Engine for Ren'Py but I'm not sure how up to date it is.
You can probably borrow a bit from Jakes RPG engine, but all options will require at least some programming knowledge.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#4 Post by sciencewarrior »

It is easier to add visual novel elements to RPG Maker than the other way around. Don't worry about making the game "heavier", your assets (art, music, sounds) will influence the game's download size and performance more than the engine you are using.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

Riku
Regular

#5 Post by Riku »

Wow! I'd never thought that it would works! Maybe, it's because I'm really dump in programmation. XD However, a good friend of me study programmation at college. I will talk to him about it later...

Thank you for your help! I'm really thrilled, now I know that is possible! :mrgreen:

Sciencewarrior: Sure, but like I said it's not the only problem. RPG maker doesn't have some functionalities that we have in Ren'py, like the scrolling back, the access to the menu at anytime and the skip application to pass the dialogues. These functionalities aren't in Corpse Party neither. It's a big lack and it's, also, really frustating to have to see again and again and again the same dialogue every time you get a «wrong end».

See you soon!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

If you use RPG Maker XP or VX, you could easily program those features using the built-in Ruby Language (you still could program it using RPG Maker 2000 or 2003, but it's much more difficult). And like sciencewarrior said, it's much easier to program the VN bits rather than the RPG bits, no matter what kind of software you use.

Or you can try GameMaker. It's neither oriented toward RPG or VN. It's more generic game-making engine (so you have to program both the RPG parts and the VN parts) but you have more flexibility while still easier to use/learn (for me, at least). And the most important thing is... it's free ;)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Riku
Regular

#7 Post by Riku »

LVUER wrote:If you use RPG Maker XP or VX, you could easily program those features using the built-in Ruby Language (you still could program it using RPG Maker 2000 or 2003, but it's much more difficult). And like sciencewarrior said, it's much easier to program the VN bits rather than the RPG bits, no matter what kind of software you use.
I already tried, few years ago, to add VN features to RPG maker (XP) and this is not that obvious. I really prefer to try it with Ren'py, because I need all the VN fonctionalities and just few RPG features like sprites movements, the collision, the superposition, etc. No battle, no shop, no skills... So, there is a lot of features that I dont need and it will be more simple to take only what I need, no?

For the game maker thing I am not really sure... My friend said that is not very good.

Thank you anyway! I always appreciate opinion of others! :mrgreen:

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Riku wrote: I already tried, few years ago, to add VN features to RPG maker (XP) and this is not that obvious. I really prefer to try it with Ren'py, because I need all the VN fonctionalities and just few RPG features like sprites movements, the collision, the superposition, etc. No battle, no shop, no skills... So, there is a lot of features that I dont need and it will be more simple to take only what I need, no?
Fact is, you'll need to learn SOME programming language, be it Ruby with RPG Maker or Python with Ren'Py to add the functionality you're looking for. And everyone is correct in saying that adding VN functionality is easier than adding RPG functionality. Just something to think on.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

If you need a very small amount of extra features and can write most of the game without them (but it wouldn't be as much fun to play) it might be reasonable to use renpy if it's easier for you to use and then try to find help later to add the extra parts. Still, it won't be that simple to add them in. It's definitely DOABLE, but most people here don't work with the kind of code necessary to make it work and wouldn't even be able to give you advice.

However, if you can get all the story parts of the game done so you just need someone to help you with the walking around bits, then if your game is awesome and appeals to the right individuals (or you offer small payments to lure programmers) they might be able to get the last things done for you.

Riku
Regular

#10 Post by Riku »

Fact is, you'll need to learn SOME programming language, be it Ruby with RPG Maker or Python with Ren'Py to add the functionality you're looking for. And everyone is correct in saying that adding VN functionality is easier than adding RPG functionality. Just something to think on.
Yes, I know, but I am way more an artist than a programmer and this is why I need the help of my programmer (my friend I talked about sooner). Also, like I already said, I already try, by my self, long time ago, to add VN features on RPG Maker and the fact is that this is hard to turn this soft on a side that it's not make to be. Anyway, I will try to do the reverse with Ren'Py and let you know if it work.
papillon wrote:If you need a very small amount of extra features and can write most of the game without them (but it wouldn't be as much fun to play) it might be reasonable to use renpy if it's easier for you to use and then try to find help later to add the extra parts. Still, it won't be that simple to add them in. It's definitely DOABLE, but most people here don't work with the kind of code necessary to make it work and wouldn't even be able to give you advice.
Sure, you're totally right! Anyway, if it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world. I have many others ideas and I'm sure that someone will be able to help me here! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#11 Post by Twisted-Eva »

From what I see, it's possible to show character art at the same time as pixelated sprites, but I would like to know if it's possible to transition from the pixelated map to a CG scene and then back to the map?
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]