OELVN DEV SELF ASSESMENT RATING... Let's be honest guys...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: OELVN DEV SELF ASSESMENT RATING... Let's be honest guys.

#16 Post by Anna »

Character Art : 7/10
I've improved this a lot since my first VN, so I'm getting pretty satisfied with it.

Background Art : 7/10
Same with this, though I haven't had the chance to actually draw a recent one for VNs yet.

Event CG : 7/10
Judging from pictures I drew for commissions and what not, this should be fine too.

Writing : 5/10
I learned a lot from the first two VNs I wrote and I like telling stories, but I'm still learning!

Music : 2/10
Yeah, uh, I can do this a little bit when it's absolutely necessary, but it takes a ton of effort. I don't think I'll develop this a lot more, as right now there are others who can help with this. Maybe for NaNoRenO projects... (music is so tough ;_;).

Coding : 1/10
Once upon a time, Anna coded a little VN for her best friend's birthday in 20 minutes. Thus that was all the practice she ever had /o/. But hey man, it had a sound effect! Yes, I know, amazing.

Marketing : 5/10
I can notice I'm growing into this, step by step. It's not going very quick, but I'm still learning and it's pretty fun! For the moment I'm using a blog, Twitter, deviantArt, website, Youtube and a Dutch forum I know well for this.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#17 Post by wakagana »

MV SWAG RAIT copy.jpg
Extra M and terribad spelling on amateur for emphasis.
Character Art 5/10 - Malta has some of the CUTEST Sprites you'll ever see. *I look forward to updating more so when I get more examples to prove how adorable her artwork is. :t

Background Art 5/10 - It was difficult trying to figure out how I can make my background photographs sync well with Malta's art style, but I think I've got a good grasp of what needs to be done now. Hopefully it works out.

Event CG Art 4/10 - (I have yet to see any from my team, but I have faith in the future >:1) ... (Yes, my faith is worth 4 blocks, don't judge.)

Writing 7/10 - I write a lot, It's one of the things I consider my self good at, others may not think so. All opinion based.-shrug-

Music 9/10 - I have a profound taste of music and my ears are a gift from the heavens, with this power I can specifically tell my artists to change individual notes of each song the compose. Not to mention TatsuArekku is a total baller.

Coding 2/10 - What is this?

Marketing 10/10 - You will buy my product. You will buy my product. You will buy my product. You will buy my product. You will buy my product.

Swag 10/10 - We're the Swag Squad.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#18 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I added a category. Because you didn't. I is disappoint *shakes head sadly*

Also, I think it's fine that everyone rates themselves differently, it's self appraisal after all. If we wanted more accurate judgement we would have to do it by jury, unknown jury.

Ahem, anyway.

Character Art- 8/10: I think I'm okay at drawing characters and I really enjoy designing them. I still have some anatomy issues to overcome, as well as just improving overall skill. Need to improve on consistency with different poses as well.

Background Art- 5/10: I'm still horribly reliant on photographs for more complicated backgrounds and for speed reasons. Have much to learn in terms of perspective. However, I can create something functional at this time. I need to practice trees, lots and lots of trees.

CG Art- 7/10: I think I am an okay artist and I'm okay at producing full art work pieces. Anatomy and backgrounds again are my weaknesses. I think my colouring is pretty good.

Writing- 2/10: I am not a writer by anyone's stretch of the imagination. I can do passable prose, but it is very difficult for me. My spelling and grammar isn't great and while I think I am okay at coming up with plots, I am not good at filling them with meat.

Music- 0/10: Hahahahahahaha... No. I like music and I can tell you what I like and what I dislike but that is it. I can't give any instruction on it and I am even terrible at picking it out for scenes.

Coding- 1/10: I'm also terrible at coding, it just makes my brain hurt. I gave myself a 1 though because I can now kind of understand some of the more basic Ren'Py stuff.

Marketing- 3/10: I am okay at this I think. I can produce the work for it anyway, but Camille has way more reach than I do on the networks.

Design- 9/10: (the one that was forgotten *shakes head sadly again*) This is my day job so I consider myself pretty good at it. I'm good at creating logos, working with typography, preparing print work and I think I will be okay at GUI now too since I understand how they work now. Also helps being surrounded by web designers on a daily basis.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#19 Post by DragoonHP »

Character Art / Background Art / Event CG Art - 0/10 - I can't draw even if my life depended pm it.

Writing - 2/10 - I think I can write something that is at least readable.

Music - 1/10 - Used to sing (and know how to play Keyboard)

Coding - 1/10 - I can code a basic Ren'Py game. :-D

Marketing - 1/10 - I think I can fool persuade one or two people to play my games. :-p
Attachments
Oitv0l.jpg

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#20 Post by Pyonkotchi »

Character Art 8/10. If there is one thing that I am proud and confident in, its my art. I know its not perfect and I definitely have a lot to improve. especially poses. I but I enjoy art and its the one thing I will allow myself to be arrogant about : D

Background Art 4/10 Probably even lower. I have drawn a few backgrounds before, but they aren't coloured at all. I think they are pretty okay looking actually. but i definitely need to work on it. also empty backgrounds are boring, so i haven't had much motivation to practice >XP

Event CG Art: 6.5/10 I mostly draw portraits and such, I put the score lower because of lack of practice. It was going to be even lower than this, but after looking at some of my stuff, I decided that I actually can draw a decent looking CG I just don't try. so yay, a whole half point higher 8D

Writing 4/10. I actually love making up stories. I just suck at it. I'm not good with words, If it weren't for the visual part of visual novels I don't know what to do. xD

Music: 1/10 I can't compose at all but I can make noises. my voice is kinda decent and I used to play a few instruments *used to* probably can't remember but i'll give myself a point

Coding: 1/10 I can figure out how to get it to work after about 9 hours of TORMENT and HORROR. you know, after the code makes me flip tables, punch walls and probably cry a little
but ill eventually get it to kinda work sometimes.

Marketing 0/10 AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Last edited by Pyonkotchi on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mirage
Veteran

#21 Post by Mirage »

Oh, this is fun~ I did this before in Tumblr. :D

Character Art: 7/10
Probably what I do best. Though I'm mostly limited to drawing young people. Still not good at drawing variety types of people.

Background Art: 5/10
I have already passed my torch to my partner in crime. I almost never do it anymore.

CG Art: 6/10
I find this harder to do than character arts. I especially suck at drawing couples... and I am making Otome Games. Way to shoot myself in the foot. XD;;;

Writing: 4/10
At least some people think I write decent? I hope. ^^; English is not my first language, so I still have a lot to learn.

Music: 0/10
I can't compose music to save my life.

Coding: 2/10
I have finally learned how to make save/load in Flash, so I think I get better? I'm still a beginner though.

Marketing: 0/10
If this self-assessment proves anything, I'm absolutely terrible at marketing myself. :oops:
Attachments
rating.jpg

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#22 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Character art 7/10 = I spent my whole drawing life into characters. The reason why it is a 7 is because I simplified my style
a lot in order to gain speed. 10 represents the quality I will never reach.

Background art 0/10 = It's quite a big concern to me my lack of skill when drawing backgrounds. I better put some good
practice on it or else I'll be in trouble soon.

Event CG art 5/10 = I love to make illustrations even though it's time consuming. The quality of the characters is the same
as in character art, but since CG art implies drawing environments most of the times, this stat is reduced.

Writing 9/10 = My only great ability. Even though my communication skills are bad, my ability to write stories is very good.
I'm also pretty fast if the whole thing is clear. Have sleeping problems because I continue my writing in my head when going
to bed.
For some reason, I enjoy writing more in English even though it's not my native language.

Music 4/10 = I have an above average skill with instruments and music, and can make some melodies on the fly. I think I can make my way through the game music without much inconvenience.

Coding 4/10 = My knowledge of coding is limited to renpy. I haven't found any frustrating problem thus far, but who knows...

Marketing 0/10 = Em... What?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#23 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I created my own writing charts for kicks. Clearly, all categories in art are a 0 for me (although I've got Photoshop, so maybe they're 1's? :lol: )

My Writing Stats:
Stats.jpg
I specialize in writing, and while I'm quicker than the average person, I'm slower than most of those that also specialize in writing.
I write terribly the first time, and need to do serious editing all the time. When I don't or before I do, the writing is too ugly to describe :lol:
I can't write too long at a time before I tire. That being said, I'm not terrible...
I always get distracted when I write. It's not a good thing :lol:

My Priorities, or what I think is important in writing:
Priority.jpg
No, I don't believe that there's actual originality. "Creativity" would be the cobbling together of many bits of other things until they're unrecognizable. As you can see, I believe that doing something well is more important than being "creative." Unfortunately, it's vastly overrated...
I think pathos is an essential element. It's certainly the thing I enjoy the most in writing.
Speed is important, since you want to get work done quickly, but doesn't hold priority over a lot of other things.
Smoothness would be how the words flow. The diction, dialogue (if applicable), syntax, etc. This is very important to me.
Technical would include grammar. Terrible grammar will put me off, but I wouldn't die if I had a couple mistakes (although I certainly wouldn't want them).

My Skills in these Areas:
actual.jpg
When I choose to, I can be very "original." That being said, it's not something I focus on.
I'm pretty decent when it comes to the technical side of writing. My grammar is pretty good.
Apparently, I write dialogue pretty smoothly and naturally. It's probably got something to do with my experience in theatre (especially improv).
I already talked about speed, didn't I?

Goodness, these took a long time to draw up...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#24 Post by Gear »

This was a really cool idea, BTW. My responses are partially self-assessment, partially from statements I've been told about my demo.

Character Art: 4/10. Using my friends as models and rotoscoping them into cartoon characters works well enough, though they aren't wonderful.

Background Art: 1/10. Two words: filtered photographs. Ugh.

Event CG Art: 0/10. I won't even try. No siree.

Writing: 8/10. The only aspect I feel comfortable with. I insist on making sure all my characters are fully formed with believable back-stories and consistent personalities, and I put them through all the trials I can and watch them grow as I go along. I'm confident that my writing skills are above average, and I tend to get really good reviews on my writing. Of course, there's always room for improvement, but I definitely excel at the "Novel" half of this business.

Music: 0/10. No proficiency at all. I solely rely on premade free domain music. I could, I suppose, give myself a point for scoring my game with appropriate music, but I lack any talent or ability to create music whatsoever.

Coding: 4/10. I'm still teaching myself. I think I have imagemaps down, and I know how to customize the UI to an extent. Obviously I can input dialogue, music, sfx, and art into the games, and I'm getting better at ATL, but I still have a long way to go.

Marketing: 6/10. I'm pretty good at marketing, and I'm improving as time goes on. The trick is to have marketing materials ready, but with my lack of artistic talent, that's not always so easy...
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#25 Post by teacup »

Character Art - I'm a decent artist. I'm nowhere near 'good', but I am able to make passable sprites. My anatomy needs some work, but I find myself improving with every sprite I make, so I'm steadily getting better :) I've also been told I have a knack for colors.

Backgrounds - Let's just say I'm glad there are free sources out there.

Event CG Art - Err, I can make decent CGs but anatomy kills me. I'm no good at creating lighting or angles to make that special 'mood' that CGs should have. Thus... subpar.

Writing - I actually am a good writer. I'm studying creative writing and journalism at a college level. It's the language barrier that gets in my way almost all of the time. D:
I changed my writing style quite a bit to fit the 'otome game' style (a more simple, humorous style of writing). I am capable of writing in a more... professional style, though. I just choose not to do that for VNs.

Music - I have no clue how to make music but I at least have good taste in picking which music sounds good in my games xD I can even sing a little bit (I have a youtube channel where I cover some Japanese songs - you'll never find it, though) That's worth at least 1 point, right?

Coding - I've found that I'm able to do more complicated things than I ever expected with Ren'py so long as I'm patient, experiment, and read a lot. I've got the "basic Ren'py" stuff down. But I still need help... A LOT.

Marketing - Wat

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Yeah, I'm kind of a total failure. orz

All I can do is hope that collective comes out OK...

EDIT: Oh, and Victoria is my real name. 0: I go by Tori irl, but I decided I wanted Victoria Jennings to be the name I'm credited under (like Dan Green! :'D).
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#27 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Here I go... way to insult myself LOL

Character Art - Although my art still has a long way to improve but I'm kinda proud of it for the time being. I love designing character art and the like. Still having problem with anatomy and pose though...

Background Art - ... my shame. I maybe able to do a proper background... only if I spend my entire month into it...

Event CG Art - Problem with anatomy, lighting and angle... the rest is okay-desu :lol:

Writing - I'm proud to call myself a writer since I write a lot (And thus, gain a lot of angry fan that always chases after my tail, demanding for a new chapter...). But this is only applied to my mother language. English... I'm a terrible writer when it comes to English...

Music - WTH is this? I don't even know LOL I'm only capable to listen and enjoy music, not to create one...

Coding - My knowledge of coding currently is limited to Ren'py only. But I hope to improve it more since I'm gonna choose Computer Science for my future.

Marketing - ??? Idek :lol:
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#28 Post by Cidz »

I can't draw, can't do music, not sure about marketing, and I'm a total newb at making VNs and really doing anything (coding, writing, etc...) So i kinda rated myself super low haha. Uhm but this is kind of fun, i think if i can find this thread later on, i might re-rate myself, see if i've improved any.
Attachments
Oitv0l.jpg

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#29 Post by Gear »

Just curious: do people not know WHAT marketing is, or is there some other source of the confusion...?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#30 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

My 'what?' comes from the fact that I have no idea of how to sell my game nor make advertising for it.