Cyberlin - work in progress

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Cyberlin - work in progress

#1 Post by Alessio »

As I started feeling a bit guilty about not disclosing anything about my current project, here is some information. I feel it will also be easier to add entries here than having to edit my homepage whenever minor updates occur. Current status as of 27 April 2012:

Story: Moderately light retro-SciFi. Female main protagonist. Mostly linear story with a few choices. All four chapters are written, and re-editing is done at 85% (editing chapter 4 of 4). Estimated playing (reading) time around 2.5 hours.

Programming: Chapters 1-2 are in playable Ren'py format. I will generally keep programming needs down to a minimum, except for a few bits of eye candy I'd like to have.

Visuals: Title screen, screen setup, menus are finished. Character artwork (and possibly event CGs) will be given to a more skilled artist than me at a later point in time.

Background graphics: Still in progress, discarded some old ones. Currently experimenting with ray-tracing them instead of using the original SketchUp ones.

Music/sound: The setting is not appropriate for continuous background music, thus there will mostly be sound effects in the background. Two location-based music pieces are needed (I will compose those at the very end). The ending song is finished (has been for many years actually).

Release date: April 2007 was the rough target once, then life interfered. I will post updates here whenever some significant progress is made. I would like to publish this in 2013 so that I can turn to new challenges and put my lessons learned to use. :)
Last edited by Alessio on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 17 times in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Wow, didn't know it's very close to completion.

I'm assuming 1700 story screens ~ 1700 lines of dialogue / 1700 textboxes?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Alessio »

Well, close... I'm not sure. I could make it by April, but I don't want to cut corners to get there.
Yes, 1700 is the text box count, although that is a bit unspecific, since some screens may have three lines of text.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Well, in the light of your previous work, I'd say I'm eagerly waiting for this ^^

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alessio »

Well, just to keep you posted (and to prevent you from thinking the project is dead), work is still ongoing. I did have to pause from February to April due to an appalling workload in my daytime job, but apart from that the story is progressing very well. If a bit slowly. But hey, it's a hobby. Currently I'm at ~3000 screens of text, and I'd guess I'll need some 500 more to finish the story off in a good way. The plot is all there, I just need to fill out the empty bits. Thus no release date yet, but definitely not April 2007. ^_^;;;

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#6 Post by Watercolorheart »

You know, the only story that I've ever gone beneath 100,000 words on and worked so hard on is Controlled Chaos ... so, somehow I've reversed my typical thing of "I was going to write a short story, but it turned out to be 157,000 words :("

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't play a sci-fi game by someone whose name I associate with Bion ;)
I'm not even the same person anymore

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

Yay! News! :D... And good ones too ^__^. Well, I'll admit I kinda forgot this project was running but I'm glad to be reminded you have a project going ^.^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

I like Alessio's approach of minimal posts and maximum work... really reminds less mature makers like myself that it's more important to be working on the project rather than talking about it :?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Cyberlin - work in progress

#9 Post by Alessio »

Just for the sake of documenting: I've started working on the sound effects some weeks back (real fun - I'm wondering if I should have been a foley artist). Last week then was background graphics week. Four location screens are finished (outlines in Inkscape, colouring in GIMP), including movable and re-colorable parts so that some graphics can be used for multiple locations. Two locations still need to be drawn. When that is done, I will continue with the script.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Alessio »

Teasers...
Attachments
screenshot0002.jpg
screenshot0001.jpg

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

looks partially composited.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Alessio »

It is. Best of both worlds. :)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Alessio »

Heh, just to keep people updated: There is a reason why my last post on this topic was on 03 August - it's because the Real-Life Dating Sim (TM) branched into the good ending, meaning that since 04 August I've been mostly busy changing diapers. That's why Cyberlin has been progressing much more slowly lately. But no worries, it will get finished, someday.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

Bring on the cheergirl squad! :)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by monele »

Woaaah... Congrats ô_o... How close to completion does that get you? Any cool CGs along the way? :p