What dead project do you think have potential...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jeje
Regular

What dead project do you think have potential...

#1 Post by jeje »

...and should be continued, or well, taken over by somebody else?

I see so many projects in the WIP thread and Idea thread, and some of them is really good. I thought about taking them over and continue it if I'm not so busy right now, and if I can get into contact with the maker and get his/her approval. Or if I have the ability to (<-- this is the real problem, imo)

I don't know if this one is dead already or not, but I really like Seraphine and played it 3 times or more. It has a good potential, but, well, I guess the coding is really hard for someone like me XD

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: What dead project do you think have potential...

#2 Post by Lishy »

My project is not dead, but I've temporarily exhausted funds we need for music.

However, I'm working on preparing a kickstarter to continue progress in the near future. Feel free to donate once it's up! :)
-

Funnyguts
Veteran

#3 Post by Funnyguts »

There are no such things as dead projects. Only projects that are on hold, or projects that you plan to recycle into better projects.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

:lol: I suspect I'm not the only one that's afraid of someone actually posting one of my projects up here.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Victoria Jennings »

redeyesblackpanda wrote: :lol: I suspect I'm not the only one that's afraid of someone actually posting one of my projects up here.
Well, it's one thing to outright steal a project. It's quite another to have someone revive it and give due credit.

Also...
Funnyguts wrote:There are no such things as dead projects. Only projects that are on hold, or projects that you plan to recycle into better projects.
I don't quite agree with that. I think some ideas are destined for the abyss, if only because there will never be enough time to finish every single one that comes into existence.
Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#6 Post by Sharm »

I'm sad that Mermaid Liaisons never got completed.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

A while back, I saw a WIP for a BxG game with girls who were moe anthropomorphized germs and viruses. I swear it was on this forum, but now that I went back to search "rabies" (because one of them was Rabies) I couldn't find it, so maybe I was wrong and I saw it on DA or something. As I remember, the artwork was very stylized and looked a little like stained glass.

Anyway, I thought it was a fantastic idea and I'm sad that it never seemed to materialize.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I don't think Seraphine is dead exactly. Aleema is still working on visual novels and that one is her baby. But she is also working for Jack, has Rock Robin and I think another one, so it's probably going to be a slow development since the other ones come first.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#9 Post by Funnyguts »

I think some ideas are destined for the abyss, if only because there will never be enough time to finish every single one that comes into existence.
Nah, what you do is write a couple drafts and them store them away somewhere. Then when you're dead someone can publish them posthumously and you'll still get credit for it even though you never actually finished them.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#10 Post by Arowana »

I instantly thought of @CameliaGirls! Beautiful art, cute animations, funny storyline. Not to mention an awesome OP video done in ATL:

I loved the demo and was so sad to see the project dropped. The art and scripts are all open source now, too, so maybe someday someone will go over and revive it. I can only hope... (nudge nudge jeje) :lol:
A while back, I saw a WIP for a BxG game with girls who were moe anthropomorphized germs and viruses. I swear it was on this forum, but now that I went back to search "rabies" (because one of them was Rabies) I couldn't find it, so maybe I was wrong and I saw it on DA or something. As I remember, the artwork was very stylized and looked a little like stained glass.
I think I remember this as well. I feel like it was on another VN or game-centric forum, though, not LSF.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by gekiganwing »

When I look back on the stories are started (and the one or two that I finished), my first reaction is to quote the 1986 movie Labyrinth: "It's all junk!" I gotta put my old works behind me and keep moving...

It looks like there has been no recent work on Mermaid Liaisons. If you want to revive this project, then contact Chronoluminaire on ToothyWiki. Browse around the site for more information.

It's been nine months since the last update for I Will Hold Your Hand. I paid attention to this project because of its unusual after-the-end story, and its distinct alternative comics visual style.

Likewise, what made The Romance of Miss Boop different was the use of vintage cartoon styles. I don't think it got anywhere, but it could use another chance. Perhaps without a licensed character though...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

Starlight, the franchise that Starlight: Episode 0 was part of. The "moe star trek" franchise idea worked well - as did the good path requiring trusting in your crew to rise to the occasion.

(Cute girls, spaceships, and people rising to the occasion - it's like a perfect storm of appealing to me.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#13 Post by ririruetoo »

I agree someone should save Cameliagirls! I totally loved the demo, so I'm sad that it was dropped...
ImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#14 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Note: It seems The Romance of Miss Boop is not dead. Apparently, it is now available for download in the completed game section.
ImageImageImageImage

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#15 Post by feathersnake »

I was sad to see the last chapter of Aquae get dropped.
It was probably the first KN I played. I still didn't really know exactly what Ren'py, visual novels and the like were back then, and I certainly didn't know what a KN was. On top of that, I played it when I was sick, so it kind of has a special place it my heart now, as funny as that may sound. ^///^;
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!