End of the world and all that.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

Re: End of the world and all that.

#16 Post by tigerkidde »

We will live in an alternate dimension where all of us survive.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#17 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

If nothing else, all this end of the world rubbish could be useful if used in a story. All the things that happen before the big event, and then, will the world end? Will it all be okay?
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:If nothing else, all this end of the world rubbish could be useful if used in a story. All the things that happen before the big event, and then, will the world end? Will it all be okay?
I've thought that something like this would make a good collaborative game. Take the idea that the world is about to be ended by something like an asteroid - think Armageddon. A few days before the end of the world, the information leaks out that that an extinction event is about to occur, there's going to be a last ditch attempt to stop it, but it's unlikely to work.

So now, we follow a series of (mostly unrelated) characters as they face the end of the world.

I thought that what would make this interesting would be to have the game involve time. An idea would be to have one part of the story unlock each day for a week, and then have an epilogue to each story unlock on the final day.

While the big adventure story of stopping the asteroid is one you can tell, I'd think it works best tempered with more slice of life stories - think Ripples set at the end of the world.

Something like that.

Being myself, I've been more focused on how I would lock the stories, rather than working any of them out.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by CheeryMoya »

PyTom wrote:While the big adventure story of stopping the asteroid is one you can tell, I'd think it works best tempered with more slice of life stories - think Ripples set at the end of the world.
"It's okay kitty," Kuu whispers to the small kitten in her lap. Its ears are notched and its fur dirty, but she runs a soothing hand to calm it. "You can have the last cookie. I don't mind. I'm glad you're here with me."
Koda lifts up his camera and snaps a photo of this touching scene. "If something happens and this camera manages to survive, and there's still someone out there, they'll know that we never gave up."

Uh.

Also, there was a gunman at one of the college campuses in my area. IDK how many were killed/wounded, but wow. I didn't have much faith in general society anyway.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#20 Post by Sapphi »

PyTom wrote: While the big adventure story of stopping the asteroid is one you can tell, I'd think it works best tempered with more slice of life stories - think Ripples set at the end of the world.
A cynical old war vet, with nothing and nobody to live for, looks forward to his lonely end...

...a ten-year-old girl who dreamed of womanhood faces the reality of her future while her parents party the pain away...

...the two meet and go on a long adventure together in which they observe the reaction of general humanity to such a future and reflect on their lives...

...when the obliterating moment comes, they are standing together confidently and holding hands...

(cue scene of huge old grizzled hand missing a finger or two, coupled with tiny soft little girl hand)
(fwsshhhhhh they dissolve into white)
(credits, a gentle lullaby, and copious amounts of tears follow)
Must... not... take on yet another project...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#21 Post by Hijiri »

Sapphi wrote:
PyTom wrote: While the big adventure story of stopping the asteroid is one you can tell, I'd think it works best tempered with more slice of life stories - think Ripples set at the end of the world.
A cynical old war vet, with nothing and nobody to live for, looks forward to his lonely end...

...a ten-year-old girl who dreamed of womanhood faces the reality of her future while her parents party the pain away...

...the two meet and go on a long adventure together in which they observe the reaction of general humanity to such a future and reflect on their lives...

...when the obliterating moment comes, they are standing together confidently and holding hands...

(cue scene of huge old grizzled hand missing a finger or two, coupled with tiny soft little girl hand)
(fwsshhhhhh they dissolve into white)
(credits, a gentle lullaby, and copious amounts of tears follow)
Must... not... take on yet another project...
I'm throwing my money at the screen, but nothing's happening! D:
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

I kind of assume that the story would not end with the end of the world, but with the world saved, by a sacrifice. And then, for everyone but the one who sacrificed himself to save the world, life goes on - and they have to deal with the aftermath. That's what I think is the interesting part - the world is about to end, and then it doesn't.

And then what happens when the girl's parents sober up?

The idea I had for the "hero story", which would just be one part of it. Half baked, as usual:
The earth is threatened by something (call it a "supernova ejection") moving at 90% of the speed of light, headed right towards earth. It was detected over a year ago, but kept quiet until a week before impact, and then all hell broke loose on earth when people find out. When it hit something - anything - the ejection will be destroyed, but in doing so will obliterate everything up to a dozen earth-radii away. It's magnetic field is strong enough to fry anything electronic for a huge distance away.

And so this story follows the person* who will lay down their life to stop it - by hand-flying something right into it. But the real story is kind of about the person't motives. I mean, "save the world" versus "don't save the world" isn't a real choice. But what might be interesting is exploring their motivation for saving the world. Do they have a family they want to save? Are they trying to get away from a past mistake? Do they want to be one of the most famous people that ever lived? Is it because there they one person who has the best shot at doing this?

I wonder if all these reasons could apply to a single person, and then it's up to the player to decide which reason they believe.

And so this person hand-flies a small craft into the ejection, 3 million miles away from earth. 9 seconds later - 1 second before it would have hit the earth - the night sky turns into day, and then grows brighter still.

But then it fades back to the night sky again, and then up pops a menu that brings you to each other story's aftermath.
* I wonder if you could tell this story without revealing the character's name or gender.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#23 Post by Destiny »

Order your "End of the world" today and get a package full of inspiration, nightmares and despair!
Order now and get a free desaster of your wish (current packages run with asteroid, sun explosion, alien invasion and fatal worldwide earthquakes)!

No, seriously, I like the idea somehow, but we should have worked on it way earlier then just a week before "the end" xD
And why let it end the good way?
I played "The walking dead" and I love the ending for suggesting that there isn't a good end, despite the surviving characters (I mean, that's even more sad, they survive, just to still die).

But yeah, like I said.
It is probably a nice inspiration, but I'm still going to have a "We're still alive, what a surprise" party on the 22. december.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#24 Post by Taleweaver »

PyTom wrote:I've thought that something like this would make a good collaborative game. Take the idea that the world is about to be ended by something like an asteroid - think Armageddon. A few days before the end of the world, the information leaks out that that an extinction event is about to occur, there's going to be a last ditch attempt to stop it, but it's unlikely to work.
Fun fact: I already had the idea for a VN set in Earth's final year, though with a more personal approach. I even contacted Cyanide Tea because I thought that would be a great project to do together, however, they were still neck-deep in work with their current projects, so they had to decline.

However, if anyone else is interested (hint, hint)...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#25 Post by Greeny »

There's no point in starting up a new project now, considering we're all going to die. Or, most of us. Or just a select few of us. One thing is certain: On the 21st of December, 2012, people will die.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Mad Bat
Regular

#26 Post by Mad Bat »

Greeny wrote:One thing is certain: On the 21st of December, 2012, people will die.
Truer words of wisdom have never been spoken. : P
Last edited by Mad Bat on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#27 Post by ririruetoo »

The way I see it, even the world does end on the 21st, theres no use in worrying. It will happen whether we worry about it or not, so I say, lets just live life to its fullest now that we're alive. Even though I've only been alive for 19 years, and theres still a lot I want to accomplish, if the world does end, I won't have any regrets. I love my life, and I love all the wonderful experiences and friends I've met. So, let the end of the world come I say! Because I'm not worried. :)
ImageImageImage

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#28 Post by Destiny »

Greeny wrote:There's no point in starting up a new project now, considering we're all going to die. Or, most of us. Or just a select few of us. One thing is certain: On the 21st of December, 2012, people will die.
Psst...
Should I tell you a secret?
People died today, too o__o
Horrifying, right?!
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

lordshadowisle
Regular

#29 Post by lordshadowisle »

Greeny wrote:There's no point in starting up a new project now, considering we're all going to die. Or, most of us. Or just a select few of us. One thing is certain: On the 21st of December, 2012, people will die.
You fool! The evil powers that be have seen this, and have deemed to make it precisely not so! On 21st of December, 2012, none shall die! None can die!

Have you purchased your zombie bunker yet?

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#30 Post by RunicV »

Imagine if the world really ended.

We would have died while making a joke out of it and contemplating making VNs out of dying.

... ._.

But eh, it probably won't end. :D

So carry on.

/gets shot in the head and kicked out into the universe and tossed into the sun for talking crap
Last edited by RunicV on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.