Double Edge [Cross platform][Mystery][Update March 14][BxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
muggy8
Regular

Double Edge [Cross platform][Mystery][Update March 14][BxG]

#1 Post by muggy8 »

Hay guys so I'm new here. So a bit of shameless self promotion, I'm an independent game maker as of um... i think 3 months ago XD well I've been working on a VN by the name of Double Edge (name subject to change) and this is a online VN that runs off the J-Omni VN engine (which i created) based in JavaScript.

As such it is fully functional as a Web based VN that can be ran on both mobile devices such as Android, iOS, windows phone 8, and other mobile devices that supports web surfing as well as MAC, PC and Linux based PCs. Not only that, you can take your save files anywhere any time as long as you have a stable internet connection.

So as far as the actual game goes the demo can be viewed at: http://my.j-omni.tk/

Hope you guys like the demo game so far and how things play out. if your asking, yes i did make all the visual assets for the game including BG, Character and buttons and stuff. 3D content is generated in Cinema 4D non-3D content is made in Illustrator. I'm currently working on completing the story of the game as well as making a Graphic User Interface for building games using my J-Omni engine.

Any and all feedback is appreciated :) thank you :D

demo game link: http://my.j-omni.tk/

Story of the game: The primes of the game and many of the questions you may post such as the character cast and such can be found within the game. At the end of the demo game (good ending) you'll be given a game code that you can use to unlock the Work In Progress of the actual game with the actual plot.

Plans for content after the end of the beta game:
There's 2 main characters with separate lines. If during the demo game you clicked no, you will get to meet the cast of the game the first actual character you meet will again be Drake in the main VN. You basically find yourself on this floating platform that's called "The Edge of Reality." Basically there's 2 paths to take. You will be given alot of choices in the first arc which will determine your path. The down-to-earth path or Maria's Path is "hopefully" a romance path with a mystery which I currently dont have a plan for atm. The other path is the out-of-this-world path or the Mire's path. I have been working on the Mire path a bit more than I have for the Maria path.

Mire's line:
Mire's path deals with magic or in the terms of the game, Arcane Alchemy. Outside of the staff who manages the Edge of Reality, Mire is probably the strongest mage (Arcane Alchemist). As it stands the Edge of Reality in Mire's line is a boarder point between the current universe and other parallel universes. Unbeknownst to other people of the regular universe, communication between different universes are actually possible through the Edge of Reality. However during an even (I want to hint at 9/11 but it's a sensitive topic so I'm not sure), the current universe has been blacklisted by the other universes and communication between the Edge of Reality and other Edges of Reality has been completely cut off. This is currently the premise for Mire's line. I'm working on actually figuring out Mire's line right now.

Maria's line:
blank (._.)

I also have another plan for the game. at the end of each line you will get a code (like xyz for mire and abc for maria) and you can enter both codes (in different order) to get a bones line for the line. (for example once you complete both mire and maria's line, you can enter the code abcxyz and get a bones line for maria and you can enter xyzabc to get a bones line for mire)
SUPER SPOILER (highlight to see):
Mire is actually a girl!!! (which implies romance)
Any suggestions would be great.

some sample images of stuff that i made in 3D:

Characters:

Maria: (some assets that I'm actually using)
ImageImage
Maria is a fortune teller who can see into the future. Her powers are unstable and sometimes she would be able to predict the future but sometimes she wouldn't. She's very open by nature but there are some things that she refuses to tell people and she's very good at hiding her secrets namely what she sees in the future. In fact she's so good at hiding the fact that she has future sight and partial clairvoyance that no one actually knows that she has powers like that. Incidentally she's been passing herself off as extremely lucky.

Mire:
ImageImage
Mire is a twist on your classic Tsundere.
She is in fact a girl.
he however hides his true nature behind the way he acts and although he's kind and nice to those around him, when provoked, he can get pretty scary. Outside of the staff he is believed to be the strongest arcane alchemist. However he himself doesn't feel that way. He has this dark and mysterious aura around him and he has never actually seen to ever talk. Due to his lack of an actual right arm, his primary method of communication is through text messages. often time you will end up being in the same place and a same room with him only to end up in a texting conversation about... stuff...

Originally I was planning on using the WebStories VN Engine to make a second copy of the game as it looks much more developed than my own engine which I named J-Omni. Unfortunately I was unable to actually get the WebStory VN Engine to work for the life of me and has since gave up on the idea. (Sorry) If anyone would be able to give me tips on said engine I would love to continue using WSE but as of right now i'm resuming production with J-Omni as planned XP

[update April 2nd]
I guess it's a bit of an uncommon knowledge but i'm actually trying to update the VN weekly (once or twice a week) but lately it's getting close to to the end of the term and it's pretty crazy having to deal with projects and finals. For now I'll have to put the weekly updates on hold. I hope to get all of Act 1 done and get into working on the individual story lines of the characters.

[update March 2nd]
Ok School's finally done and I now have some breathing room between things. So first thing I did? Major update to Double Edge. Things will now actually happen up to the end of day one no matter what option you choose. On a side note, the game engine now supports keyboard inputs and is best used on chrome and believe it or not, Internet Explorer. press 'space bar' for next line, press 'End' to skip a section or to the next choice if a choice is at the end of this section.

[update March 14nd]
So the host that I was on before went crazy and i'm not exactly sure what happened but it died. So I moved my VN onto another host. Hopefully it will last this time or I might actually have to dish out money for hosting which I really dont want to. Anyways another update to the VN we're onto day 2 now. Hopefully I can get the main arc started by the end of day 3.

PS:
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/muggy8
add me at your own risk >:D
Last edited by muggy8 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:21 am, edited 6 times in total.

Skyefrost
Regular

Re: Double Edge [Cross platform][Mystery][Update March/2]

#2 Post by Skyefrost »

I like the story. It's pretty interesting. Though in one of the branches, (the one where you chose not to get food, ) the text was not align with the dialogue box. it's made it sorta hard to read with the words like that. Mire is very nice looking, but I was just a bit bothered by how small you modeled her hands, ( that's just a personal issue i think. )

I personally like the switch thingy on the bottom to control text speed, I'm a fast reader so it irritates me when the vn words are going out too slowly.

In the story will the main character ever know what actually happens to his parents? Or rather what happened in detail if what the swat team said is true

muggy8
Regular

#3 Post by muggy8 »

Yes that will be explained in detail in act 1. Another thing I found the other day is a VN engine someone else did that basically does everything i do except does it better X_X The story will be made on both engines but the one that I built will just be for flavor XD. I'm currently working on getting a copy of the game working on said engine. Once it's up I'll resume production for the story :)

Any comment on the 3D models? I know Mire's hands are a bit small X_X but later on it's revealed that she can summon a bionic right arm which hopefully is what's contrasting her small left arm with to make the bionic arm seem impressive.

here's an old pic before i added any advanced texturing. but you kind of get the idea right :) (it's wider than 800 px T_T)
img link: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9708_n.jpg

PS: i fixed the bug that was causing the text misalignment :) thank you for the feedback ^_^

Skyefrost
Regular

#4 Post by Skyefrost »

Oh yes, you might want to add more tags to generate interest. [BXG] for example. (means you play as a boy getting a girl. ) Plus people tend to flock to games with screenshots and concepts art. In games that don't have art in their post, they usually have less less interest.

The arm looks really impressive <3 Pretty awesome. XD and that....inspires a quick and crappy fan art from Skyefrost! lol. Hope you don't mind.

Model wise, I'm sorry I'm not able to help you with that. XD I'm not really a good judge on 3D models mostly because I do more of texturing side of it rather then making stuff. (and if you're asking about the bg, then the bgs are perfect for the game.<---skyefrost cannot model a buliding. XD I just make boxes so sorry about that.)

Trying to hide my fail with pretty bgs
She's not really functional....she can't smile.

XD my faces are fine, making bodies I had to have help from friends to model them correctly.

:A: aww.. so you're stopping for a while? .it was getting interesting!! YOU EXcaped....dang it. I'll wait patiently. (Sad face) Can't wait till you're finish, I'll be watching this thread.
Attachments
fan art.jpg

muggy8
Regular

#5 Post by muggy8 »

I was fiddling around with Web Stories Engine...... didn't get it to work T_T I think I'll stick with what I had originally planned to do >_> back to coding X_X

Komachi

Re: Double Edge [Cross platform][Mystery][Update March 14][B

#6 Post by Komachi »

There are some typos,like your->you're,bow of food->bowl of food,after wards->afterwards,periods at the end of lines,etc. It's expected because it is a beta after all,just remember to get someone to proofread your script before you officially release it.
For the engine I missed the ability to click to show the rest of the paragraph,and it was kind of annoying to see the menu flashing every few lines.
For the plot..it's a bit hard to keep track of everything that happens,but it got me interested enough to see want to see the rest of it.