Eidolon

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
absinthe
Regular

Eidolon

#1 Post by absinthe »

Our NaNoReNo project, "Eidolon", is now available for download!

The protagonist is a lost spirit who is given a second chance at life and at love by a sudden twist of fate. Will he accept his destiny or risk everything by challenging it?

The game takes roughly fifteen minutes for the first play-through, and offers two intertwined gender-based paths. Each gender has a different romance and ten possible endings.

Download Links (courtesy of Misuzu -- thank you!):

Windows: http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eidolon-1.0.zip
Linux: http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eid ... 86.tar.bz2
Mac: http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eidolon-1.0-mac.zip

Enjoy! And please let me know if you stumble over any bugs and I'll fix 'em right away. :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot2.jpg
Last edited by absinthe on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Congratulations absinthe, your first game finally!

lordcloudx, you're getting better at drawing the lolis (I mean it!) Very angelic.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

Dafool: thanks... you ain't seen nothin yet though. the character art is obscured for most of the game till you get to the endings. Although Amelie over there isn't really loli, I do take mugenjohncel's advice when I draw hentai.:P :twisted: :twisted:

edit: no I'm not implying there's hentai in Eidolon.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

OMG another awesome game! This is unprecedented in renai history.

Seriously, I love the atmosphere...the background style, the text style, even the spider widget. Everythings so lovably fuzzy :D

I still admire how you made the glowing orb...it definitely doesn't look frame-by-frame. Amazing.

EDIT: 'Error reading png file' was not able to be reproduced. Fluke?

Love the cameos! Good job.
Last edited by DaFool on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misuzu
Regular

#5 Post by Misuzu »

Sorry about the delay. I actually had these mirrored a couple days ago but I've been really busy the last day or two that I havent had a chance to reply back to people who asked for mirrors.

http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eidolon-1.0.zip
http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eid ... 86.tar.bz2
http://downloads.visualnews.net/oel/Eidolon-1.0-mac.zip

absinthe
Regular

#6 Post by absinthe »

lordcloudx wrote:Dafool: thanks... you ain't seen nothin yet though. the character art is obscured for most of the game till you get to the endings. Although Amelie over there isn't really loli, I do take mugenjohncel's advice when I draw hentai.:P :twisted: :twisted:

edit: no I'm not implying there's hentai in Eidolon.
Yeah, we only had a month... good sex scenes are hard work! ;) Maybe next time.
DaFool wrote:OMG another awesome game! This is unprecedented in renai history.

Seriously, I love the atmosphere...the background style, the text style, even the spider widget. Everythings so lovably fuzzy :D

I still admire how you made the glowing orb...it definitely doesn't look frame-by-frame. Amazing.
Awww, thanks!!! And that glowing orb is lordcloudx's wizardry with the 'shop + Ren'Py's native rotozooming thingy. I never really figured it out totally but I managed that much.
Misuzu wrote:Sorry about the delay. I actually had these mirrored a couple days ago but I've been really busy the last day or two that I havent had a chance to reply back to people who asked for mirrors.
Thank you! :) I'll edit the main links right away.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Neat! So far my main comment (other than the coolness of the glowy thing) is that the first ending I reached felt quite satisfactory and I didn't feel much urge to search out others... flipping back to this thread to remember that there are two gender options and *quite* so much else to see was needed to prod me to look again... :)

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#8 Post by kara24601 »

Cool game! I really don't like spiders and spiderwebs but it's a different way to start the game....hahaha.
I love the fact that the characters
changed color according to mood

Some Long Haired Guy

#9 Post by Some Long Haired Guy »

Uhh... Loved that rotozoom but...

It's probably just me (Since I am now wearinng reading glasses out of necessity) but I really am having difficulty looking at the pointer since it's a little bit... hard to see due to its size.

Other than that, Congratulations!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#10 Post by mikey »

This was the first NaNoRenO game I played, and I was very happy with it - perhaps the most spectacular thing about it is the intro that goes so well with the song, and the flashing face in the menu is just genius.

To my surprise, you can choose either character, and I found it to be a very nicely wrapped up story, everything made sense for me, even though I haven't played through ALL of the endings, although I did get the good one. At first I couldn't make out how to play, but after a while I understood the point and it was a very nice game with alternatives and what-ifs. The inclusion of cameos, personally I don't think it needed that, a known face took away a bit of the uniqueness - nothing tragic though, plus some see that as a positive.

I liked the visual presentation, very unconventional, even though BGs were probably just vectorized and would look more consistent in just one color (b/w or single tone), especially when they would match the menus. The character graphics, a great idea with the glows, another very inventive feature. It's amazing just how much space for innovation there is, one would think everything's been already done ^_^.

The unconventional textbox was no problem for me, probably keeping one-line-only would even strengthen its effect, but it was still very nice to see, for me much better than any NVL mode which I don't like that much - this one lets you see the characters nicely.

I had some problems getting to the best ending, but that's not to say I was dissatisfied with the alternatives I got. I later took the hint that appears after the "bad" endings and I was very aggressively in following the advice - et voila, best ending.

So a very well done work, I didn't know what to expect at all and it turned out like one of the silent gems, similar to Quine was last year, a special category of games. Congratulations!

And the obligatory question, can we host it on the Ren'Ai Archives?

absinthe
Regular

#11 Post by absinthe »

So many helpful comments and compliments! I could get used to this 'releasing stuff' thing. :)
mikey wrote:So a very well done work, I didn't know what to expect at all and it turned out like one of the silent gems, similar to Quine was last year, a special category of games. Congratulations!

And the obligatory question, can we host it on the Ren'Ai Archives?
Awww, I'm blushing, and yes, most definitely! :)

And you noticed the face! That makes me happy -- that was actually one of the first things I did for the project, using a placeholder. No game script, no game code, no music, and no art, but every time I loaded it up and saw that menu screen, I knew the game was going to be good, if I could just get it done.

In retrospect (and having played some very good games since releasing it), I'm not thrilled with the way I set the text up. It's not terrible, but it could have been more suited to the game and to the medium. I think my IF/text adventure background really seeped through, too; something to watch for on my next project.

(I was worried the debug console might be overkill, even though it was pretty easy to set up given that I comment so much anyway. Glad it was useful! I figure if anyone decides to use the script for a future project, it'll come in handy too.)
papillon wrote:Neat! So far my main comment (other than the coolness of the glowy thing) is that the first ending I reached felt quite satisfactory and I didn't feel much urge to search out others... flipping back to this thread to remember that there are two gender options and *quite* so much else to see was needed to prod me to look again... :)
That's actually the effect I was going for (well, sort of)! When I wrote the structure and the endings, I knew I was going to have to double up a lot of the script, and that most people would probably only play through once or twice, so I tried to make each run-through really feel complete.

I think I ended up sacrificing replayability quite a bit, but every ending (well, except for the 'absolutely neutral' endings and the two 'early' endings) should be fairly satisfying. Even the sad ones, hopefully!
kara24601 wrote:Cool game! I really don't like spiders and spiderwebs but it's a different way to start the game....hahaha.
Hey, spiders are traditional when you're talking about Fate! You should have seen my initial design notes... I scaled it way back. Originally, a giant fifty-foot spider made an appearance as the villain but, meh, budget... ;)
Some Long Haired Guy wrote:It's probably just me (Since I am now wearinng reading glasses out of necessity) but I really am having difficulty looking at the pointer since it's a little bit... hard to see due to its size.
I was afraid of that! I'll make it a bit bigger in the next release, or maybe finally figure out how to just have it go back to an arrow during the actual game. :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

An extraordinary experience, that Eidolon! A ren'ai game, but with a plot of mystery and an air of the supernatural, just as I like it. If you're asking me, this is my personal NaNoRenO winner, both in story and presentation.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

mikey wrote:The inclusion of cameos, personally I don't think it needed that, a known face took away a bit of the uniqueness - nothing tragic though, plus some see that as a positive.
8) don't blame absinthe for that part. I am guilty of wanting to draw and include both cameos.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#14 Post by mikey »

Taleweaver wrote:An extraordinary experience, that Eidolon! A ren'ai game, but with a plot of mystery and an air of the supernatural, just as I like it. If you're asking me, this is my personal NaNoRenO winner, both in story and presentation.
What's more even I, who don't like this kind of supernatural, like it - the game is just so well put together. Even the non-flashy factor works in its favor.

chisa-chan
Regular

#15 Post by chisa-chan »

Have just downloaded (after the server error here) and played it. You draw cooler than usual, lordcloudx.

Though kind of dark stories aren't really my type, I love this game (planned to share it with my best friend :P )
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)