Social Gaming

For the rest of your otaku life.
SHiNKiROU
Regular

Social Gaming

#1 Post by SHiNKiROU »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network_game

Here, social gaming means video games that connect to the social network: For example, "share" your screen to your friends (PS4), tweet your achievements and progress, inviting your friends to join so you gain more rewards.

I'm not mainly talking about Farmville and iOS games with social network-connected high score tables. I'm talking about shooters, RPGs that allows the player to tweet the progress automatically or manually.

What do you think about the trend of connecting console and PC games to social networks? Is it necessary for visual novels (done before?)?

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Re: Social Gaming

#2 Post by truefaiterman »

I think it's not suited at all for these games. It's like making an app so you can post "Hey! I finally reached chapter 4 of a book, yay!". And, if you want to record the game, or make a screenshot, it's pretty easy.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Cyrus
Regular
Projects: Gumshoe

#3 Post by Cyrus »

I dislike social gaming aspects as much as QTE. Letter boards or stat collecting being an exception. I enjoy seeing how bad I am or what percentage of users made this or that decisions.

And I hate the 'more rewards' stuff. I don't expect a game to burn me for not having any friends. I have to go door to door now just to be able to get the heart ponies? Joy.
Death Saw [Detective/3D]

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

There are rare occasions when games connecting to social sites aren't a burden.

Generally it's a blatant way for game developers to get free advertising. Clever, and invasive. If I have to have my gaming habits plastered all over my facebook status everytime I level up in a game, the game is getting a quick delete.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Generally it's probably not necessary for visual novels unless A) they have some added gameplay, or B) it's just to say "I finished it!" or something to that extent.

Dreadwing93
Regular
Projects: 0xE125: Crimson Spiral

#6 Post by Dreadwing93 »

I think the only time social aspects should be added to a game is when you need to cooperate with other people, and even then it's very easy to do this poorly. The social aspects of the game should feel like a bonus rather than a burden.

Just an example, but let's say there's a game where a girl asks you to help gather signatures on a petition to save her apartment building or something. This event wouldn't be necessary to completing the game, but could be an interesting bonus.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#7 Post by merdeamour »

Dreadwing93 wrote:I think the only time social aspects should be added to a game is when you need to cooperate with other people, and even then it's very easy to do this poorly. The social aspects of the game should feel like a bonus rather than a burden.

Just an example, but let's say there's a game where a girl asks you to help gather signatures on a petition to save her apartment building or something. This event wouldn't be necessary to completing the game, but could be an interesting bonus.

I have the same views as Dreadwing93. I tried playing Sims Social on Facebook once, but I gave up soon after finding out that you have to send out dozens of requests to friends just to move on from my current task. Talk about burden.

The 'tweeting progress' part sounds interesting, although I don't think it's something I'll especially be looking forward to in a game. I can always do that on other social networks (e.g. fb, my blog, etc).
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

It's my opinion that the "social" features in games are actually antisocial. I don't want to drive people away by posting status updates on Twitter or Facebook where my personal feed is supposed to be. It should be an authentic "guys, try this game!", not a canned update. They are usually just advertising the game and nothing more, so why include them? "Social" games don't actually involve people, co-op multiplayer games involve people.

Pencey
Regular

#9 Post by Pencey »

I don't really mind it. Like, on PSN I don't really care about my trophies/achievements nor do I bother looking at anyone else's. But when it comes to things like fighting/multiplayer games, it helps if you're looking for someone to play with.

I dunno about visual novels though. It seems kinda unnecessary.