Starlit Sky

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

Starlit Sky

#1 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Okay, quite overdue, but better late than never, right? This was my nanoreno entry, until I missed the deadline. But I was never really concerned about getting it done "on time" anyway, so no loss on my end. And besides, as everyone knows, and Enerccio is constantly reminding me, I'm a slow writer, so it's only natural a month wouldn't be enough. Still, even though I had already missed March, I kept that nanoreno mentality, so don't expect me to have gone all big budget since it's late...

Anyway, so here it is. A story about a boy named Jack who is trying to reach the stars. That's about as good a summary I can give. I wanna thank DaFool again for the art, and I'll thank Enerccio too, for not only pushing me, rather violently, to keep on working ("What are you doing? You're not writing! Stop playing Fate already!!!") and for lending a hand with a few of the more troublesome tasks.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and I'm wondering who'll pick up on the reference... it's not really an easter egg since it's not hard to find at all, but the reference itself is quite obscure...)
Attachments
Starlit Sky.zip
Windows Version
(29.39 MiB) Downloaded 2872 times
Starlit Sky-mac.zip
Mac Version
(29.07 MiB) Downloaded 581 times
Starlit Sky-linux-x86.tar.bz2
Linux Version
(29.06 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#2 Post by Enerccio »

Okay, finished it.
I am deeply moved. Story is way above great. Mostly sad parts at graveyard, or Violette part. At least they will be together and it was somekind hppy end...
For Art, I like it, nice soft style.
Music was nice picked, it suited game.

You have great style of writing, keep it up for Evergreen Valley too...
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Let me just say how much I really enjoyed this game. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer... and that isn't so much a complaint, as an expression of how much I liked the game.

Well, that, and the title screen was too compressed, and showed a lot of ringing. :-)
I don't think the MagiBou reference was all that obscure.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

You should have told me you would be flipping the images! :D

Interesting 'limited animation', it kept things moving along.

Good choice of music and backgrounds, they fit the setting (as well as most perspectives) well.

As for the story, DAMN. (a positive compliment).

Congratulations!

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#5 Post by DrakeNavarone »

PyTom wrote:
I don't think the MagiBou reference was all that obscure.
It's true there is a MagBou reference in there, but that's actually not the one in question. If you don't mind, I'll keep quiet about it for a little longer, as I'm hoping someone might pick up on it.
The Compendium of Drake:

Mr. E
Regular

#6 Post by Mr. E »

Hey, congratulations for uour first released game! I'm beginning to see that you really like witches eh? ( Melissa was another magic-wielding character in Songs of Ariah... ) Anyway, great game. Really, really intresting.
The way the main characters helped people as they went on their journey was great. It didn't feel cheesy or anything and the characters were incredibly real and fleshed out, which was incredible. The way Violetta changed in the player's perspective from a spoiled brat to a wonderfully human, if sad, woman was amazing. And the situation between Kareena and Reese was beautifully constructed, resembling more a farytale than a common predicament like in Violetta's case. And the graveyard scene was being carefully constructed from the beginning ( when Marivel always offered the forgetting potion to the afflicted woman. ) And was incredibly powerful and moving. A few things could have been more elaborated, but it IS a NaNoRenO project and the economy was probably a good idea. Of course... I noticed the shining stars thing at the end, which was quite effective. I was thinking to myself "i wonder which are their stars" and then it fades and I see them. It was a very good moment. It also incidentally proves YOUR point in the "the importance of art" discussion. I guess that it depends a lot on what the creator wants to do, but still I applaud that excellent effect. :D Now for my nitpicking of the day... Hmm... ( Actually this is a very tough one :o ) I think that MAYBE the resolution of Reese's curse was a little too quick and easy. It could be a bit more elaborate, and have a bigger conflict, but I suspect you didn't want that... I really can't think of much else, which is incredible! Cogratualtions. Oh and by the way... Is the reference you're talking about the futuristic anime movie "Armitage"? Marivel DOES resemble the active and brave android in the movie, but I may be wrong...
Anyway, great game! Now I'm really waiting anxiously to EV! :twisted:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

For some reason I get a lot virus warnings for the files. I managed to download the Windows zip (yesterday, but if I want to redownload today, it shows the warning), and the Linux version (today), and I'm trying the Mac version, where I always get the warning. The antivirus says it's probably a variant of some infiltration, does anyone have any virus warnings with this?

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Enerccio »

mikey wrote:For some reason I get a lot virus warnings for the files. I managed to download the Windows zip (yesterday, but if I want to redownload today, it shows the warning), and the Linux version (today), and I'm trying the Mac version, where I always get the warning. The antivirus says it's probably a variant of some infiltration, does anyone have any virus warnings with this?
hmm, funny though... i downloaded mac and it is ok
maybe you should not use nod? avast is way better...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

Well, I know there is always something better than what I use.

But thanks, actually I just wanted to know whether it's a real virus or just the antivirus being overprotective, it seems like the latter.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Enerccio »

Well if you managed to download win version yesterday and you cannot download win version today it is sure second (or there is virus in lemmasoft forums server....)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Yes, that's what happened. I got the Win version yesterday, and I wanted to redownload it today, and I got the message. Again, it's probably the overactive antivirus.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Enerccio »

yeah, moreover have you played it yet?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by mikey »

Enerccio wrote:yeah, moreover have you played it yet?
I'm still with Project Nattsu and I don't want to play in parallel.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#14 Post by DrakeNavarone »

mikey wrote:For some reason I get a lot virus warnings for the files. I managed to download the Windows zip (yesterday, but if I want to redownload today, it shows the warning), and the Linux version (today), and I'm trying the Mac version, where I always get the warning. The antivirus says it's probably a variant of some infiltration, does anyone have any virus warnings with this?
Oh wow, that's... surprising. I have absolutely no clue why this would happen, but I assure you I have no malicious intent. Why scare away your audience? I wouldn't ever think of causing harm to another person's computer (intentionally anyway, which is why this message worries me... maybe one of the files is funny?). I hope it's no big deal, but if you're really concerned, I suppose I can send you an unobfuscated version of the game so you can inspect the contents, though you do risk spoiling yourself that way...
The Compendium of Drake:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by monele »

Oh dears, I'm crying like a little kid ^^;... I rarely cry for VNs... I very very very rarely cry for "amateur" VNs... so this one is definitely a pearl.
It really tugged at all the right string for me : death, promises (initially) impossible to fulfill... and that memory thing for the sister, guuh ;o;... But more importantly, it's the characters. All the drama would have been nothing if you didn't create such great and deep characters. You just can't not love them or hate them (Reese at first) with all your guts. That's why when things happened to them, it felt so close and painful.

The backgrounds were pretty nice, except maybe for the town one with a guy in blue... Clearly looked too recent and having someone there when they say there isn't anyone kinda spoiled it :)... But since it's the only problem, it's easily overlooked ^.^.
I really liked the sprites too. They were rather simple but straight to the point... and full of expression. Perfect complements to the story. Good job on making them a bit more alive by moving them around too ^.^.
The music.... wonderful... It felt right at all times.

Oh and yay, MagBou reference XD...
So ya... fabulous little story ^.^... With such a high quality for a NaNo, I can't wait to see what else you have in your bag!