Death Note Musical

For the rest of your otaku life.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Death Note Musical

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

No, I did not make this up. This is real. Or will be.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... e/u.s-team
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Head_Phones
Regular
Projects: Clichéd

Re: Death Note Musical

#2 Post by Head_Phones »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(picks self up, dusts knees)

Ahem, well, looks like Zac Efron really will be playing Light after all.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ah, I'm just kidding. As appalling as the thought of Ryuk and Light singing some stupid duet, maybe it'd end up pretty good. S'not like the people who are handling it are talentless/penniless slobs. In fact, I'm quite sure they're the exact opposite of that. So maybe, just maybe, something really great will come out of this.

But I guess we'll see, haha
Last edited by Head_Phones on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
'You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater'
~Austin Powers

Profile pic drawn by the wonderful akemicchi

|| Honest Critique ||

Kensela
Regular

#3 Post by Kensela »

I won't judge this until it comes out. I honestly think all the bad criticism it is receiving is mainly because America is going to be involved. I'm my experience if Japan makes a live action out of a cartoon people think it's amazing even when it's really bad, but if the United States makes a live action that is equally bad then people think it's the worst thing in the world.

From what I can tell in the article it looks like America is only providing the composer not the singers. Also American musicals usually hire strictly professional singers only that have experience in theater like Idina Menzel for example, and Zac Effron definitely does not fit into that category.

Also they have already released 2 Black Butler musicals and I believe a Bleach one as well, but i'm not sure, so I think they can pull off a Death Note musical.

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#4 Post by Chasing Summer »

Sorry, I burst out laughing first, imagining Ryuk and Light singing a duet.

(“The boys are back~ The boys are back ~” LOL)

But seriously. This might turn out to be great.

Or maybe not, we’ll see.
new account: sonnenblumen

jamesfoster

#5 Post by jamesfoster »

Where to get full series of "Death Note", I only watched the first episodes.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

jamesfoster wrote:Where to get full series of "Death Note", I only watched the first episodes.
Buy the complete series on DVD. It's only 30 bucks or so.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#7 Post by DarkSin »

I knew about Warner Bros. acquiring the rights for a while now, but I only heard about this musical some days back.
Kensela wrote:I honestly think all the bad criticism it is receiving is mainly because America is going to be involved. I'm my experience if Japan makes a live action out of a cartoon people think it's amazing even when it's really bad, but if the United States makes a live action that is equally bad then people think it's the worst thing in the world.
Nah, the Japanese live-action industry is pretty pathetic. Especially when adaptations are concerned. And it's common knowledge. They do horror movies a little better, though. Sometimes. I'm actually glad Americans are involved in this. That'll probably make it a little better. Hollywood occasionally sucks at anime adaptations, but their overall standard is a lot higher. Well, it's not like I'm going to watch it either way :p I'll be looking forward to the live-action Hollywood movie adaptation, though. They might just do it right.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#8 Post by Ghost #9 »

DarkSin wrote:I'm actually glad Americans are involved in this. That'll probably make it a little better. Hollywood occasionally sucks at anime adaptations, but their overall standard is a lot higher.
The only movie I can think of off the top of my head that was an America adaptation of an anime is Dragon Ball: Evolution. I'm sure we can all agree on how atrocious that was. What are some of the good ones...?

EDIT: Oh, I actually suddenly recalled Speed Racer as well. It was certainly better than DBE, but it wasn't really worth watching more than once.

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#9 Post by DarkSin »

There are some others, like I recall at least 2 Street Fighter movie adaptations, which weren't that bad. There was also a King of Fighters adaptation, iirc. These are technically games, but they had anime counterparts as well. And anime series/anime games/manga... they're all of the same genre, the way I see it.