Is this style acceptable?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: Is this style acceptable?

#31 Post by noeinan »

Deshtat wrote: Well it may be the case in some countries, but nowadays most big companies like Ubisoft wont hire any graphic designer that doesn't have at least 3 years of working experience, and that doesn't come from a specialized school...
It wasn't like that ten years ago, but now that there are videogame schools, the recruiters are asking for higher skills. They are way more relaxed than other recruiters, but they still are very serious about these things.

I would understand the difficulty to get employed if it was for an actual job application, but I'm just asking for an internship xD

Well, at least there is that small mobile games company that would be interested in me, which is nice... Not really what I wished for, but I guess it will do if I can't find anything better by then x)
Oh, I didn't mean it was easier because it was freelance oriented. I definitely think folks are still looking for experience. What I mean is, unlike some other job fields, experience doesn't seem to guarantee a job in the field of video game development. Like, companies are still willing to turn people away who have a specialized degree and 3 years of experience.

More often, I see those types of jobs (say, video game artist or programmer) being hired on a contract basis rather than a steady position. Might be just me, though?

Regarding internships, I feel like a lot of companies are getting nervous around them recently... Some areas were giving unpaid internships, for example, and there's been a huge movement against that because it's exploitative. So maybe folks are nervous about it? Though, if they post an internship position themselves then maybe that's not the case. /shrug

Deshtat
Regular
Completed: Propel Man ; Galaxy Run
Projects: Reboot
Organization: None yet :/

#32 Post by Deshtat »

Oh, sorry, I may have misunderstood ^^

Well I don't really know. It depends on the studio itself. A lot of companies in France are only hiring interns because they are cheaper than employees. There are also bigger studios like Ubisoft, that have some permanent employees (managers, team leaders and such), and some fixed-term contracts employees (artists, designers...).

But yeah, it's hard to get a steady job in video game companies. Even if you do, there is always a chance for the studio to close without warning x)
Also, you are right : many developers choose to freelance. Artists and sound designers, mostly. The problem is that unless you're very good at what you're doing, it's hard to get some serious contracts.

Well, I guess that I could always try to make a living by freelancing here xD

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#33 Post by noeinan »

Haha, that's my plan. Holding down a "day job" currently and starting to do art for people's visual novels here. :)

I think it's easier to start on smaller games and casual groups first to get a portfolio going. I also figure I'll improve while working on these projects because I'm drawing different requests from different people.