The Sight of Autumn v2

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
M12
Veteran

The Sight of Autumn v2

#1 Post by M12 »

Thank you again to everyone who read The Sight of Autumn (TSOA). You are all very encouraging, and I appreciate it.

Recently, I've been placing all my focus on developing my drawing/colouring skills. Here are the results:
http://www.mangarevolution.com/M12

Now, looking back at the graphics in TSOA, I feel I can do a lot better. This is why I'm thinking of building TSOA - version 2. The script will remain the same. The ferris wheel animation will not change. The music will not change. The only thing different will be the graphics. I hope to redo them all. Would anyone be interested in this? To be honest, I'm hoping to find some encouragement here. After all, there are quite a few drawings to redo >_<.

Thanks everyone =D.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Sight of Autumn v2

#2 Post by DaFool »

I thought the original graphics were great and did the job well.

I'd rather you spend your time and skills wisely and apply your evolved talent to a new endeavor.

There happen to be many skeletal games here that were stalled due to lack of graphics -- that goes to show that art is hard to come by. Thus I tend to look at games with redone art as "Why? Oh why?"

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

MR seems to be a friendly community, judging from all those welcome posts. :P

My suggestion would also be to channel the efforts towards a new (small) project. The graphics in TSOA were really very atmospheric and who knows what "better" really is. It hasn't been that long since its release - and I'm thinking that after 10 years when you'll be looking at both versions, you'll probably like the first one better. So you know... better isn't always better... :? something like that...

Unless of course, there is a specific valid reason why you feel TSOA should have new graphics, though as a player I can't think of any - but then again, as a creator you will know much more about what the essence of TSOA was. So I'd say do what you feel is best for that essence.

M12
Veteran

#4 Post by M12 »

Thanks for the honest replies. I am quite surprised. I thought a makeover would be of interest to people. But anyway, I do see your point.
A Missing Memoir (my current project) is on halt right now, because I'm still waiting for the voice actors to reply. Every other part of the game is already done quite a while ago. To be honest, I thought of TSOA v2, because I could use some extra material for my portfolio. I'm graduating uni this year, you see. I do not have time to write a new story (only a few months left), so I thought I could touch up TSOA.

M12
Veteran

#5 Post by M12 »

It's quite silly. I got the idea from watching Initial D 1st stage, then Initial D Battle Stage. They touched up the racing scenes from season 1, so I thought I could do the same. Yeah, pretty unrelated :oops:.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

I do remember nice graphics for that game so I don't think it really needs any makeover ^^

M12
Veteran

#7 Post by M12 »

Thanks all for praising the original graphics. It's just that now, I can make them much, much nicer =O...
Anyway, thanks for the honest thoughts. An unexpected response, but I appreciate it.
I'm studying Digital Media at uni, and I'm graduating this year. An exhibition is coming up. Right now, I'm drawing a poster for TSOA. A3 sized. I plan to put a link to TSOA's website. I really want to introduce visual novels to the world. Well, at least, in Australia ^__^;. Hopefully some people will visit the website after seeing the poster. Better yet, hopefully they will dl the novel. If that's the case, I would like the artworks to be as good as I can make them. That's why I planned to redo the graphics.
There are two more reasons:
1) Many people said after reading TSOA, they were in the "almost cried" group. I think with better visuals (aesthetics), I can get rid of the "amost". That would be really touching. The story is important, but I have to admit, so is the presentation.
2) To be honest, I think The Missing Memoir (my next novel) is only average. I know, it's a dumb thing to say, since I'm about to release it. But I have to be truthful to you guys. Why? Because I think the story is very commercial, if that makes sense. TSOA is more abstract. And, well, it turns out that I think it better. That's why I'd love to have another chance at touching it up.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Well...... going back on what I said : if there is a huge improvement, maybe it'd be interesting. And your reason, showing VNs to the world, is a valid reason enough for me ^^

M12
Veteran

#9 Post by M12 »

Okay, so I spent today creating a poster for TSOA. Here it is. Please check it out :). Hope you guys like it.
Attachments
autumn.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

The coloring is stunning o_o... When you say there's been improvement, you're not joking ^^;... As for the drawing itself, I'd suggest focusing on the right hand some, and for the face, not shade the whole nose up to the eyebrows, it looks kinda strange.

M12
Veteran

#11 Post by M12 »

Thanks for your suggestions monele. I'm interested in printing this out, so I could use all the advice I can get. Here is a new version. Nose shading fixed. I've removed the lips. I think it's more moe that way ^_^;. Also, I've removed the highlights from the eyes. I think it makes her look more blind. Thanks everyone.
Attachments
autumn.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

Good ideas for the lips and eyeshine ^_^

M12
Veteran

#13 Post by M12 »

Just wish to share with you some new features in version 2.
- Improved dialogue and narrative.
- Today I had to wait in the hospital for countless hours. During this time, I wrote six pages worth of production notes. Concept, inspiration, etc. I hope to share them along with the release.
Thanks. If you have anything else in mind, please share. I appreciate it.

M12
Veteran

#14 Post by M12 »

Just want to share with you guys a sample graphic. I've been spending a long time revising the script, so hopefully you will notice the difference when you read it. Thanks everyone.
Attachments
train.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by monele »

Ohh, the hand is really good on that one ^_^... and I like the texturing :). Is this scene still moving ?