What motivates you to make a VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
kikcac

#1 Post by kikcac »

I wanna start a new VN or Dating Sim but didn't feel very motivated so I though it'd be a good idea to hear from you guys' experiences.
What motivates you to make a VN and how do you keep going until the end?
I've made games like these before but that doesn't help as a motivation to continue, ha ha.

M.T.D.G.
Regular
Completed: -SacrifiXi (BxB)-Beta-Love (BxB)-Ivan Berk Dress Up Game-Kiss the Cock (BxG)
Projects: -Death on Holiday (BxG)
Tumblr: mtdg
Deviantart: M-T-D-G
itch: mtdg

Re: What motivates you to make a VN?

#2 Post by M.T.D.G. »

It's easy for me :) When I start working on a visual novel is because I want to show something to the people; to tell them a story and to make them feel or think something. I always start with a clear objective or a theme in my mind.
Seeing various people playing your story and enjoying it is such a great pleasure and makes me feel accomplished ^^ like, I helped them having a good time (even if it lasted a brief moment).
Making a visual novel is a give and take :) you give your game/story and then you receive feedbacks/fuzzy feelings(/money, if it's commercial). I don't work just for myself but also for the others.
I want to my story to have a full shape, to move by itself like a movie, to be complete. Just a finished visual novel can be fully enjoyed :) thus, I try to keep working on it even if it's hard; tirying; even if I already have planned an other more important project; even if I think that -as time goes on- my current project has many flaws but it's too late to go back.

Starting is very easy. Keep going is the hardest part.
mtdg.tumblr.com (nsfw)

ImageImageImageImageImage

kaeruranawa
Regular
Completed: Times Up: Turn the Page!
Organization: Noveleap

#3 Post by kaeruranawa »

To put it simply, I want to have more practice/experience in programming while having a project that other people can enjoy.
I also really enjoy working with the people I work with, and I think the stuff we create together is certainly worth it.
The community is super friendly too, and they make me want to contribute more things, whether it be another game or a resource for people working on their own projects.

I keep going because I don't want any efforts (time) to go to waste.

Head programmer of NoveLeap. Founder, Developer and Designer of the VN GUI Project.

Image Image

Tawwny

#4 Post by Tawwny »

What motivates you to make a VN: I find it a great way to combine drawing and writing, my two favorite pastimes. Being someone who daydreams 85% of their day away, I get plenty of ideas for things I think could make a good VN plot. Once I develop one thoroughly enough to the point where I believe it'd actually be pretty good once put down on paper and I won't become bored of it quickly, I start work right away!

How do you keep going until the end?: I love that feeling when you're playing through your semi-finished game-whether that's 10%, 20%, 50%, or 95% complete-and the VN suddenly ends leaving you wanting to continue on because its coming along so awesomely! Then I keep it up for that eventual sense of accomplishment. Seeing all your work (and your team mate's work if you're not creating solo) come together in a complete product you all can be proud of while also knowing all the blood, sweat and tears that went into it- is great! There is also reading other people's feedback/constructive criticisms on the finished product that can help build up more experience on top of the experience gained from finishing a game.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#5 Post by thebackup »

What motivates me?
* I have a story to tell, something that means much to me.
* I get this great concept in my head and feel that it needs to come alive :)
* I need more experience creating VNs!

How to keep going until the end?
Well, of course you're going to encounter problems in the development process, and it can lessen morale. I try to envision the final product, and keep reminding myself that this is going to work out, and finding solutions to problems. I really hate seeing projects go unfinished.

That, and the satisfaction you get when it's complete, and others enjoy it ^.^

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#6 Post by curry nochi rice »

>Storytelling: Rewind four years ago, I used to write a series of short stories in dialogue format... so it was more of a script.... then I found the wonderful world of VNs and thought "I would be nice to make one." so poof.... my next 4 years would be defined by this then naive dream. :oops:
>Learning: The development cycle of a game, or in this case, of a VN is kinda different from developing the usual software systems. If you want to work in the game development industry I think starting with VNs is a good experience.

How do you keep going until the end?
>The comments/suggestions make to further improve my projects.
>Make it a school project so I can be stressed into finishing it.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#7 Post by Sharm »

I make games I want to play so I'm motivated to finish so I can play it. I also like to show it to other people and have them tell me how awesome I am.

How do you keep going until the end?
Stubborness, mostly. I hate saying that I put a lot of work into something only to give up. If I'm having troubles finishing that usually means I haven't done enough planning and don't know what the next step is.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

For me it's mainly the creative urge. And since I grew up with games and movies, and my favorite genres are fantasy and sci-fi, the stories are hard to tell with any other medium (well, visually at least).

kukiko-tan
Regular
Completed: Fear Not
Projects: The Song of the Caged Crow, Revealed Royalty, The Golden Seed
Organization: RONI
Deviantart: kukiko-tan

#9 Post by kukiko-tan »

Playing awesome VNs :).
Whenever I play or finish playing a really awesome game I'm like..."whoah, I want to do something like this too. To be able to make people laugh, cry and really get into your story is something really cool."
I usually get a decent boost of motivation when I go back and look at what motivated me in the first place to make a game. That or putting a motivational music in the background while working on the game :D.

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#10 Post by Chocopyro »

My primary means of motivation is about the same as when I create online role-plays or D&D campaigns. I sit there and think "Boy, I really want to play in a game like this." So I look for it. Then I notice a scarcity in that sort of game, so I get kinda annoyed, and lower the standards of what I'm trying to find. Then I find out that the games I take in are a bit too different from the experience I wanted. So I finally get fed up and start working on it myself.

Just like SunDownKid says: "For me its a creative urge." I just kinda want to bring certain things that I love into existence and hope they catch on so I could play more games like them.

As far as how I make it to the end? Haven't finished any yet. I do have a goal that I am writing, and one of the things that keeps me writing it is I have a team of friends who all trust and want to see the idea(s). So encouragement and the desire to impress do motivate me to an extent I guess. Surely I have a habit of abandoning causes before, but the current stories I'm working on are stories I've wanted to tell for years now and just haven't found a medium they work in. Now I have.

stayinbed
Projects: Lovetruck Foodtruck, Campus Island,
Organization: Alix Taularedona
Tumblr: alixlepinay
itch: alix-redona

#11 Post by stayinbed »

Basically for us, we want to create characters and settings to expand a unique universe with some interactivity. We like video games and comics, we think visual novel is the perfect mix of gaming and reading comic books.
We are an Indie Studio.
We are producing Campus Island a Visual Novel with a mix of fashion and adventure, cute boys and maybe girls to date, who knows....
Website www.campus-island.net
Tumblr : http://campus-island.tumblr.com/
Facebook : www.facebook.com/CampusIsland
Twitter :@campus_island

--------------------
Meet Felix from ou upcoming game :

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#12 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I'm in it for the ladies and the loot.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#13 Post by Obscura »

Boats and bros.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#14 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I haven't even thought about producing a visual novel yet, and I can't say I have any immediate plans to do so, but should it ever come to pass, I want to tell a good story---or even a great one, if I can manage it.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#15 Post by ameliori »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:I'm in it for the ladies and the loot.
I request to be directed to where I can find these. Hahaha kidding!

++

Motivations to make VNs:
I want to improve my art and I'd like to share my stories. I used to consider comic book art as another path.. But I love the interactivity of VN's! The concept of choosing which ending or the story getting affected by your actions is such a great way to immerse yourself more into the world.

Motivation to go on:
I'm bad at finishing things. I procrastinate a lot. I've devised a plan to cure it through VN's. I'll try doing it in small steps so I don't get overwhelmed. Here's to hoping it works!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon