Missing Link (working title)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
GViper

Missing Link (working title)

#1 Post by GViper »

So, thought I'd tell you guys about my new project Missing Link (it's a working title, I'm unsure!)
It's a mostly serious, story based VN that I've been setting on for the best part of a year, while I get things all together. Script is in a strange state, more details to follow, and work will be starting too on music composition and some basic coding. I'll be doing this part myself!

Plot synopsis.
Kotone Kurokawa is a divorced single mother, working as a detective in the Tokyo police force. She's been in the position for many years, and takes her job extremely seriously. She gets handed a missing persons case, 21 year old Riko Sakamoto has seemingly disappeared without a trace, and was last heard of in Osaka. She begins investigation into her disappearance, with the aid of trusted friend and colleague Kazuma Nakashima based in his Tokyo office, when she finds herself involved in something all together bigger than a simple disappearance, something that would be a national scandal and remembered for years to come.

That's the simple version, at any rate! As far as the script goes, I'm planning on having the main story, along with a couple of alternative endings decided by a few key choices throughout the VN. The main storyline is finished, but has had no external critique so I'm calling the script 90% finished. Of course, anyone interested in contributing will have access to a full rundown of the plot.

As far as actual creation goes, I'll be creating the Music, using photographs for the background images and doing the coding. I like getting stuck into these things! (May decide on art for BG's, toying with an idea at the moment)

What I'm looking for is a character-based artist and I suppose a kind of beta-tester/advisor just to take a look at the progress and give helpful, constructive advice! Someone who is experienced in making or reading VN's would be appreciated here!

For some examples, I'll finish what I'm working on at the moment, and upload it in an hour or so. I'll get some of the script posted up for you too.

EDIT - Scratch that, It's late and I'm off to bed.

Cheers for taking the time to read this guys!

~~GV

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Missing Link (working title)

#2 Post by monele »

Kudos for making the protagonist a divorced woman who, I suppose, is older than 20 :P. And the fact it's an investigation story isn't bad either ^_^. Now of course, the execution will be what makes or breaks this premise :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Is it possible for you to plug the script already into the game engine? Even without music and art, a skeletal VN will greatly help in smoothing out the pacing and mechanics. The important decisions are the font, the layout, and the size of the textbox -- these will determine whether it will be a breeze to read through something or not.

Tips on composing for music: you really don't need that much... 3 to 5 tracks for a 30min (10k words) to 1 hour (20k words) should suffice, especially if they are loopable.

There seems to be more than enough willing beta-testers in these forums. This project looks very promising and am keeping tabs on it.

GViper

#4 Post by GViper »

Thank you very much for the praise and tips guys!

With regards to inserting the script, it's certainly possibly, but I'll have to finish writing the alternative endings first, but certainly my first priority is to get that done, and inserted in with a good GUI. You're right, it is a good idea so that I can really adjust the pacing.

With regards to the music, yes it'll likely be a longer one, but that's one of the things I'm most confident about carrying off, with music being my speciality more than anything.

Indeed, our protagonist is much older than 20, infact she's at the tail end of the 20's. I'm certainly going for something a bit different than what I've seen before in the genre.

I imagine it'll be a little while longer before I get anymore updated, I'll be sure to keep you guys posted while I make my little visits here :D