What makes a VN Kinetic?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

What makes a VN Kinetic?

#1 Post by wyverngem »

I'm working on a script for a new visual novel project and I'm curious about what a makes a story a kinetic novel compared to other forms of visual novels. I read somewhere that in Kinetic there were no choices for the users, just reading and enjoying the visual effects. Yet, would you consider a visual novel kinetic if the reader is given choices, but they have no effect on the story?

For example in my script there is a point where my main character's sisters are abducted and she is given options to learn more about what happened. The user can choose who the main character talks with, to gather evidence to gain a better perceptive, or just to continue on with the story.
I ❤ Code!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: What makes a VN Kinetic?

#2 Post by Googaboga »

In your case I personally wouldn't consider that to be a Kinetic Novel. But I'm pretty stuck on the idea of a Kinetic Novel being a game with no choices at all. For a game with choices to be considered Kinetic (in my mind) the choices would need to be few and far between and they'd only change a sentence or two of dialog. If a choice can change who you talk to, where your character goes, etc. that seems interactive enough to be considered a regular VN. But again that's just my opinion.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#3 Post by Haze »

I believe a VN with choices that don't affect the story is called a "linear visual novel".
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#4 Post by Alte »

I think that a kinetic novel can have choices but considered linear. A VN kinetic all leads to of having one ending.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

You know, there is a lot of debate about terminology, and people get really defensive and strange, or aggressive and strange.

I would recommend not worrying about it. Just make the VN you want to make and let others argue about terminology.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

trooper6 wrote:You know, there is a lot of debate about terminology, and people get really defensive and strange, or aggressive and strange.
Sad, but true.
wyverngem, take a look here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=26502
and here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=26535
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#7 Post by Vin Howard »

Personally, I would consider a VN kinetic if it had only one ending and any choices did not effect the story in any significant way. And I would consider a VN "semi-kinetic" if it has few different endings, and there aren't a lot of dynamic choices.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Applegate »

Haze wrote:I believe a VN with choices that don't affect the story is called a "linear visual novel".
This. It's only not considered a visual novel if you don't involve choices.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by wyverngem »

Thanks, I think I have a better understanding of the KN.
I ❤ Code!