Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation

#16 Post by sasquatchii »

Here's my pirate-y/crewless/abandoned ship! I've been wanting to work on improving my ability to create immersive scenes and backgrounds, and figured it'd be fun to attempt a ship + ocean + horizon trio! As far as backgrounds/scenes go, I feel like it's a little weak. I think working on the lighting & detail a bit more would help to make it feel more "real." But I'm not really sure what I'd add. Maybe working on the ocean a bit more could help?

Anyways, AMAZING JOB SO FAR EVERYONE!! I'm blown away by the cool stuff you've all made :D
In continuing on with the tradition of last year's thread, I'd like to go through and comment on each piece that has been submitted so far!

@steamgirl
He's extremely pretty!! I also really like the colors & skin tones you picked out. Skin is one of the trickiest things for me to get right, but you nailed it :)

@Harliqueen
Don't be sorry, you did great!! I really like the "sketchy" quality, and it reminds me of a watercolor painting! I would be curious to see what this effect would look like pushed even further with color or higher contrast.

@renoa-heartilly
YAY, LADY-PIRATES! I was hoping someone would make a lady pirate. I have attempted to draw them a handful of times, but for some reason getting them right is harder than male pirates (I struggle with creating appropriate clothes with just the right amount of pirate-y and awesomeness)

Also, I wouldn't want to come across her in a dark alley xD

@YossarianIII
Your pirate is adorable. I could see him being featured as the villain in a children's book! I'm also digging the lines for the legs & arms.

@GuyFromYonder
Your style is cool too!! I also really like his fancy open tied in the front lace long shirt thingy (Um... what's the correct term for that style of shirt?)

@Didules
WOW, that ONLY took you 45 minutes?!? I'm jealous. He's such a cutie (peg leg and all)! If he were in a weird romance visual novel that also featured pirates I would probably end up chasing him.

@CSV
Yes, another lady pirate! *high fives you through the internet*
I like her. She looks cheeky, and also very interesting, like there's a story behind that scar, and also she's maybe a bit of a tomboy and doesn't care about societal norms for women or being the most beautiful belle in the room?!
...I just kind of described myself :(

@truefaiterman
Oh snap, I actually LOVE that this is unfinished! I think the linework & shading help to give an energy, one that is either mad as hell or derranged, I can't decide which!
He also looks really fancy & well dressed.
ImageImage

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#17 Post by Didules »

GuyFromYonder wrote:I totally agree with you, Didules. I can never think of something to draw, nor do I ever have the motivation. Now I can draw something more unusual for me. It's great practice for drawing and drawing prompts. I hope this thread lasts.
It's up to us to make it last ;) Let's make this thread survive more than one year!
sasquatchii wrote:WOW, that ONLY took you 45 minutes?!? I'm jealous. He's such a cutie (peg leg and all)! If he were in a weird romance visual novel that also featured pirates I would probably end up chasing him.
I didn't make every step, directly going from the rough draft to the "finish version" without checking the anatomym it actually saves a lot of time :lol: "Cutie" wasn't the aim, but it'll do X'D No pirate VN planned for now though, but I'll keep what you said in mind ;)
I love your picture by the way, it looks a bit cartoonish, I almost waited for it to move!! It looks really neat! What software do you use if you don't mind telling? :o

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#18 Post by Harliqueen »

Some amazing art here considering most are just quick sketches! Certainly gets me motivated to keep sketching :D

@sasquatchii - I absolutely love the way you did the shadow on that water!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

GuyFromYonder
Projects: "One Last Tear" and "A Lot of Firsts"

#19 Post by GuyFromYonder »

If I may suggest a theme, could we do 'Wild West' next? I think it would be a fun and interesting one.

Selwyn
Tumblr: charmysketches

#20 Post by Selwyn »

This looks like a fun thread. I think I'll participate. So is the Wild West the next theme? :)
Freelance Graphic Designer & Illustrator TUMBLR
Voice Actress SOUNDCLOUD

GuyFromYonder
Projects: "One Last Tear" and "A Lot of Firsts"

#21 Post by GuyFromYonder »

Selwyn wrote:This looks like a fun thread. I think I'll participate. So is the Wild West the next theme? :)
I'm not sure what the next theme is. I was just suggesting it. But it's great to have more and more people participating!

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#22 Post by CSV »

@sasquatchii That is such a cute illustration! It looks very professional too, like it could be the cover of a children's book or something.
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by sasquatchii »

Didules wrote:"Cutie" wasn't the aim, but it'll do X'D No pirate VN planned for now though, but I'll keep what you said in mind ;)
To be honest, he's more handsome/rugged than cute! Cutie is just an umbrella term I use when describing people that are attractive to me xD Even if they are far from cuddly and adorable.
Didules wrote:I love your picture by the way, it looks a bit cartoonish, I almost waited for it to move!! It looks really neat! What software do you use if you don't mind telling? :o
Thanks for the kind words! I use adobe illustrator, which lets you create vector art instead of pixels like photoshop would. It's especially awesome because if you ever want to resize anything, you never have to worry about it getting pixellated.
GuyFromYonder wrote:If I may suggest a theme, could we do 'Wild West' next? I think it would be a fun and interesting one.
Sure! I've updated the main post to reflect that next week's theme will be Wild West. I think that'll be a fun one.
Selwyn wrote:This looks like a fun thread. I think I'll participate. So is the Wild West the next theme? :)
Wild West is indeed the next theme! So the pirates theme will run from now until the 20th, and the wild west theme will start on the 20th!
ImageImage

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#24 Post by fleet »

The thread title refers to drawing. Is 3D art permitted?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#25 Post by trooper6 »

My vote is yes to 3D art! Or collage art! Or whatever sort of art!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by sasquatchii »

fleet wrote:The thread title refers to drawing. Is 3D art permitted?
Of course! Heck, any medium that you might see as art is fine. You could create a sculpture if you wanted, or draw on a mirror with lipstick, or, as trooper6 mentioned, create a collage :)

A big part of why this thread was created was to help challenge & motivate people by opening them up to doing things they'd never attempted before.

Who are we to say it's not allowed? Have fun, and good luck!
ImageImage

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#27 Post by fleet »

A lady pirate captain.
lady-pirate.jpg
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#28 Post by Anne »

Was meaning to draw prince Hamin for a while so the theme is perfect!

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#29 Post by KuroOneHalf »

Kay, sketched up a pirate girl. :p
Attachments
pirate.jpg

SinnyROM
Regular
Projects: Blue Birth
Organization: Cosmic Static Games

#30 Post by SinnyROM »

Took this opportunity to try a redesign of an old character so he doesn't look like a certain air pirate. Looking forward to the next theme!
Attachments
damon.png