Another Game-Maker :)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Nio
Regular
Projects: ??????

Another Game-Maker :)

#1 Post by Nio »

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. The great Blue Lemma knows who I am. We were going to work on a project together, but time was against me (darn you time!) and I shelved the project.

However since then the idea of making Date-Sims has stuck with me and I continued to think about it. Being an artist first and foremost I always admired the great art and stories from the professional games. So I took my web development and PHP programming skills and taught myself a programming language to make my own Date-Sim engine, which has been collecting some dust over the last few months.

Anyway I'm planning on sitting down and working out a really short story to actually finish a mini-game so I can have something to get some feedback and hopefully build some interest.

I'll keep you guys posted and continue to lurk around the forums like I have been. :P

Take care.

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

Ah yes, time...the UNIVERSAL ENEMY!! Ugh, I'm being dragged down by it as well... u.u; Well, glad to hear about another game maker planning to do renai games! I'm just curious, but which programming language did you teach yourself with web programming knowledge only? I've been trying to learn a software language for so long, but I haven't been able to find any good resources to at least stick my foot into the door. u.u; I did just do one semester of Java programming, but I have not found any uses for my knowledge...I basically just learned how to use objects and classes. Also, did you learn by reading books, or did you learn by online resources? I probably asked too many questions! P=

Nio
Regular

#3 Post by Nio »

Well I've been a professional web developer for over 10 years (HTML and Design). On the side I had a large gallery site that was a pain to update. So my boss told me I should learn PHP. I picked up a book and learned the basics (it was a small book). From there I learned new code from fellow developers and online. Now I can't make a site without PHP.

PHP gave me a solid understanding of programming basics. You just need to get past the basic coding concepts, like:

-Variables and Arrays
-Conditional Statements (if, switches etc)
-Loops (while, for)
-Functions / Classes
-Plus built in language functions
-Learning about databases is a plus for thinking about good ways to save data.

Blue Lemma laughs at the language I used. It's a variation of Basic called DarkBasic. It took me about a month to code the engine. I'm a slow coder, but I was learning the language as I went. It's not perfect but so far seems to do the trick for my needs.

The reason I picked up a Basic language is it's about the most my brain can handle. Since it already has built in functions to deal with graphics and sound etc. I can avoid learning about hardcore memory management etc. Though it will always be more bloated then a C game it's at least a step above a drag and drop system like Director, Flash or some other "game maker" app. It is compiled and uses DirectX. It's actually a 3d engine, but it does pseudo 2d.

The harder parts were coding to save/load game data and encrypt the artwork and files etc. I think making a Visual Novel system like this is a good way to learn how to code more complex games down the road.

Hope this helps somehow.

BTW: I actually have a story idea now. Though it's a little dark I think, but it should be a nice short story. Don't want to give it away. :P

Tage
Regular

#4 Post by Tage »

Cool, if you claim that your brain can't handle anything more than that....mmaayyybbee I'll try it, lol. I think my main problem about learning software coding is that I'm too eager to learn how to program Window applications... u.u; I've been programming in JavaScript for at least 6 years... soo... n.n; hopefully it won't be too hard, lol. JavaScript actually can get pretty complex... I could make a visual novel engine with it, but I couldn't control music and sound too well, not to mention the save feature would be complicated and if the user simply clears their cookies, their saved games would go with it, lol. I think I'll just stick with Ren'Py since it's got mostly everything I want to use in my game.

I'm almost done with the story for my game...I can't make pieces fit though. x.x; The game revolves around a mystery...about who you are. =) I hope it's interesting. I'm contemplating on whether I should release a teaser or not, hehe.

Nio
Regular

#5 Post by Nio »

I only just learned about RenPy (after I had already built my own engine). It's a neat idea and I'm glad someone was able to do it to help out those that have ideas but limited time.

I would think a teaser would be too much of a sidetrack from getting the main game done. But it might be a good way to get feedback before you get too deep into it. I'll be sure to keep my eye out for your game.

Tage
Regular

#6 Post by Tage »

I'll be watching for you game too! The teaser would basically just be the first scene in the game. However, now that I think about it...people who play the teaser, probably wouldn't want to play through it again just to get to where they left off... ¬.¬; Maybe I'll just release it for feedback as you said and not as a teaser. Since it is my first game ever. :? I need all the helpful suggestions I can get.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

I wish Game Maker had a less stupid name, and one that wasn't already used by a dumber product years before it was invented. :) There is plenty of good old-fashioned code involved in what I do! Honest! (I come from a C++ background)

#8 Post by Guest »

Well I don't know about every "game maker" program out there. The only one I ever used was Click & Play. That's sorta what I was referring to. I'm sure there are others out there that are very good.

Nio
Regular

#9 Post by Nio »

Opps, forgot to login. :)