Ren'Py 4.6.1 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 4.6.1 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

Well, I'm somewhat humbled by having to announce the release of Ren'Py 4.6.1, which fixes some major memory leaks that found their way into 4.5 and 4.6. It also fixes a bug with predictive loading.

As always, Ren'Py 4.6.1 can be downloaded from:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/

If people could give this a tryout and verify that the bugs are fixed, I'd appreciate it, as I'm about to go into RenAiMoMode, and switching from game creator mode to programmer mode takes a bit of effort.

I'm not going to post a changelog, as there aren't any user-visible changes in this release. (Apart from a lack of running out of memory, hopefully.) Instead, I'll just ask that you read the announcements for 4.5 and 4.6.
Last edited by PyTom on Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piroshiki
Regular

#2 Post by Piroshiki »

Wow, that... sure was quick o.o

Just did some quick testing, and everything runs perfectly fine and smoothly~
I'm not a meat bun ~nya

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

That's good to hear. Since it was a memory issue, can I ask how much memory you have on your computer?

Oh, and did you take a look at the button_menu extra? IIRC, you asked me for this a while ago. (But maybe it was someone else... my memory isn't what it used to be. What were we talking about again?)

Dre
Regular

#4 Post by Dre »

Haha! Just ran my game on it and it ran as smooth as butter. :D Very fine release, I think I'll take use of the mpeg support. 8)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Well, I just realized that there's still at least one more bug lurking in the new Render code... Imagemaps were failing to redraw properly, in some obscure cases. It's fixed in my codebase, but unless someone lets me know that they want to use imagemaps, I'm not going to make a new release until some more things accumulate.

This render code was one of the hardest things I've ever written, and quite tricky to get right.

Piroshiki
Regular

#6 Post by Piroshiki »

Err... 224 Mb. Yes, it's kind of old and has never been upgraded v.v;;

As for the buttons menu, I did ask for something like that, but the code you provided back then is more suited to what I was trying to do, so I'm still using it ^^;; I tried it though, and it works well.
I'm not a meat bun ~nya