Popularity

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

RedSlash wrote:Did you find out if many Japanese people download the game after following through with the link? Just interesting to know.
AFAICT, nobody has downloaded it via that link.

"Did you count them?" "Twice."
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#17 Post by rioka »

That's an interesting graph, PyTom. I would predict it'll level off to a steady number from here on out and occasionally rise the more people get into this medium.

Is it possible for you to do the same to TOL? I'm rather curious to see if it's the case for TOL and it already has a steady amount of downloads now or if it actually rose... :?

Speaking of weird stuff... I was checking my stats on renai games and noticed referrer links from sourceforge.net (specifically: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php ) It showed up on two different web stats with the same info... weird...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#18 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote: Is it possible for you to do the same to TOL? I'm rather curious to see if it's the case for TOL and it already has a steady amount of downloads now or if it actually rose... :?
For every game with enough stats to analyze (Amgine park is still too new), the downloads seem to be fairly steady. Most games are getting about 20 downloads a week, varying by +/- 10. I don't see any discernable trends from week to week.

The exception is ToL1, which seems to steadily be getting twice as many hits as everyone else... I'm not sure why this is, but the numbers don't lie unless they do.

But I'd say that renai.us is giving people a steady number of downloads.
Speaking of weird stuff... I was checking my stats on renai games and noticed referrer links from sourceforge.net (specifically: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php ) It showed up on two different web stats with the same info... weird...
That would be me:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... m_id=77020

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#19 Post by rioka »

TOL1 getting more downloads? That is interesting. Do you suppose it's because it has been around and people know more about it by reputation/word-of-mouth than recent releases?
OK, that explains it then! Btw, I submitted Ren'ai Archives to Anipike. =)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#20 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote:TOL1 getting more downloads? That is interesting. Do you suppose it's because it has been around and people know more about it by reputation/word-of-mouth than recent releases?
I spoke to Lemma about it, and his theory is that it's because ToL1, until recently, has the highest age rating on the site. We'll have to see where TT winds up in a few weeks.
OK, that explains it then! Btw, I submitted Ren'ai Archives to Anipike. =)

That's a good call. So far this month, we've gotten 295 referers from anipike, and the month isn't quite over yet.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#21 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I spoke to Lemma about it, and his theory is that it's because ToL1, until recently, has the highest age rating on the site. We'll have to see where TT winds up in a few weeks.
Oh no, so people are looking for cheap thrills! :(

Okay, I think I'll name my next game "Let's Hentai Hentai", on the page you'll have to click "YES" to "Are you older than 18?" and vote for renai.us, bishoujo.us, atp and others to get to the download. Muhaha! We'll do 1GB in three days!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#22 Post by rioka »

Good plan mikey! I just hope none of them forms a raging angry mob with pitchforks and torches once they find out the conspiracy... ^^;

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#23 Post by rioka »

I don't know whether to announce this under here or under the AP thread but anyways.... AP downloads last month got me over the 1G bandwidth mark at Ren'ai Games. ^_^;;

If this continues for April, I would seriously think it was because AP is a bishounen game... Well, nothing to do but wait and see... :\

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#24 Post by mikey »

Congratulations! IMO... yes, I think it WILL have something to do with it, actually you beat Fragile Hearts for the title :wink: :oops: , so you will have fans from that department downloading for sure. And, considering it's a bishounen game, many people (rightfully) will assume it's not just ye olde pointless hentai game. So there are many factors.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#25 Post by PyTom »

Hm... You can throw in another 1.3 gigs of AP downloads from renai.us, last month.

In the 2.5 days since the start of the month, renai.us has already sent out 2.2 gigs of data.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#26 Post by PyTom »

It's been yet another month since the Moonlight Walks release, and so I thought I'd bring the count back up to date. Three months after its initial release, Moonlight Walks has been downloaded a total of 941 times from bishoujo.us and renai.us. That's 228 times since when I posted last month.

Here's the complete graph of downloads, so people can see how it's been changing:

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that pretty much most of the existing base has downloaded it, and these new downloads are coming from people new to the community, or people just randomly stopping by after a web search.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#27 Post by rioka »

By the looks of your graph, it really picked up after NaNoRenO (i.e. in April). The steady increase looks promising, all in all.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#28 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote:By the looks of your graph, it really picked up after NaNoRenO (i.e. in April). The steady increase looks promising, all in all.
Alas, tis' not true. The x-axis is weeks before present, so the big numbers on the right are from the initial release, while the smaller numbers on the left are the most recent data.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#29 Post by PixelWrangler »

eclipse wrote:By the looks of your graph, it really picked up after NaNoRenO (i.e. in April). The steady increase looks promising, all in all.
Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, the downloads have been gradually decreasing over time, as the title at the bottom of the graph reads "Weeks (Sunday - Sunday) Before Current Week". So the far right of the graph would be 14 weeks ago, and the left side would be this week. NNRO would have been the 3-7 range.

I thought the same thing when I first looked at the graph, myself... it's an easy mistake to make. ^_^

EDIT: PyTom beat me to it... where's the film from that photo finish? :wink:

Of course, the fact that the game is still getting 40+ downloads in a week over 3 months after its release is quite impressive. ^_^

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#30 Post by rioka »

Ah, sou desu. I really should stop glancing through stuff... >.< :P
PixelWrangler wrote:Of course, the fact that the game is still getting 40+ downloads in a week over 3 months after its release is quite impressive. ^_^
Yes, it is. I'm getting less than that for AP according to my site stats. Though I think it's mostly GSK's fault which is getting practically all the downloads... Not like that's bad or anything! :) :P