Popularity

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MMZ not logged in

#46 Post by MMZ not logged in »

maybe people are talking about it and the games are getting some limelight elsewhere?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#47 Post by mikey »

That's interesting. But you know what they say here, May is the month of love,... Alright, now it's June I know.

It may be true that the games could be discussed elsewhere, and there could be a link to Anipike's DS links. I'll try to google around to find some new places discussing games...

Hmmm, anipike, this reminds me I have to update my links in there (one day ^_^), since the whole manga.sk server has moved and all. I'm hoping to be able to have some stats as well when the migration and setups are completed.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#48 Post by rioka »

Anipike has a forum and there are a lot of members. They also have a gaming section. It could be from there. I'll check it out later.

...And why am I talking in short sentences? <.<

But yes, that's some interesting news. There was a spike in downloads one time in April for the GSK game and I believe that came from mikey's article (coincided with his article release). This new increase must be from some other source and one we don't know about. Either that or word of mouth is really moving along.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#49 Post by Megaman Z »

oh, dear! American Bishoujo just got added! AND IT'S TOP RATED! WATCH OUT PYTOM! (Renai Archives is also top rated as well)
Stats as of post time: "Added: 05-31-2005, Hits: 5, Rating: 10.00, Votes: 1, Reviews: 0"
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#50 Post by PyTom »

Well, it's sent a whopping 5 hits my way, so I think I the server can somehow survive that onslaught. Six hits, if you count the guy who checked out the link before adding it to the anipike.

I added AB to the anipike last night. I threw in a plug for the archives, and added them prominently to the AB home-page, because fairly soon the archives will fall off the anipike page, while AB (because of it's alphabetical placement) will probably stay there for a while.

Now back to trying to find an apartment in the DC area.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#51 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:There was a spike in downloads one time in April for the GSK game and I believe that came from mikey's article (coincided with his article release).
Hmmm, to date there were 690 people who read the article (it's above average considering the time). The Czech manga.cz also lists manga.sk articles, so that might have helped as well.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by mikey »

Right, so it's end of the month and I have some stats, because my new webmaster implemented them in mid-June. So they are for HALF THE MONTH, but still, it's interesting to see them!

In medias res, top downloads:
Transfer Teacher - 94
Marry Me Misato - 68
River Trap - 58
Milk Swim - 51
Black Pencil - 44
Kaori - 34

(this of course does not mean the d/l was completed, or that the person played it)

One interesting statistic - the leading visiting country for atp's site is... Vietnam!

Well, anyway, now I'm finally numbers and all. So until next month I guess.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#53 Post by papillon »

According to my filehost stats, for the month of June (and it only came out halfway through the month) the Summer Schoolgirls demo has somewhere around 1000 downloads. But the stats are hard to make sense of, so that could be completely wrong.

(It says 2373 views, 1183 entries, 1101 exits)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#54 Post by PyTom »

One thing to be careful of, when counting downloads of files, is that many times one'll get people using (thrice-damned) download accellerators, that may open a large number of connections for each file. So to get an accurate count, you can't just look at the number of hits on a particular file, but instead you need to do something more sophisticated.

Two techniques I use are to count the number of unique hosts downloading a file, and to divide the total number of bytes downloaded of a particular file by the size of the file.

For example, Ren'Py 4.8.10 reports 184 hits. However, only 254,912k bytes of data have been sent out over the wire. Dividing by a file size of 3200k, I get 79 downloads. Which is alot less than the 184 hits on the file, although still substantial for a tool like Ren'Py.

That reminds me... I haven't posted MW's stats for the month. I'll do that when I get home. Back to the day job, dealing with conditional constraint rewriting systems. :?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#55 Post by rioka »

Using PyTom's byte method, my monthly download for the past three months came to...

June
GSK: 162
AP: 80

May
GSK: 186
AP: 61

April
GSK: 181
AP: 81

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#56 Post by PyTom »

Okay, update for June, while there's still a little June left. All of these stats are as of the 25th, as I did generate them, but put off writing them up until now.

MW has been downloaded a total of 1393 times. That's 234 times since the last time I posted. This is with the unique-ips method.

Here's the graph, newer is to the left. The weird spike probably has something to do with the changeover to apache2.

(Week 4 goes up to 111 hits, including 2 downloads of the zip from the archive.)

As time goes by, games seem to be getting a larger proportion of their hits from the archives. Including the archives, AP is getting a similar number of downloads to MW per month.

The archives sent out 31 gigs this month, as compared to 19 gigs last month and 16 the month before that.

Bully!

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Megaman Z »

we seem to be getting more and more publicity, don't we... I wonder if PCGAMER would actually do an article on renai games... I have yet to see one in there.
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#58 Post by rioka »

It would be nice if they did an article about it on PCGAMER but what about in the anime specialty mags like Animerica, Anime Insider, and so forth? Ren'ai game coverage should've been in there by now.

Btw, from what I understand, Animerica accepts articles from freelancers. If someone here :cough:mikey:cough: would be willing to write and submit something, that would be awesome! Anyways, maybe I'll make a request to Anime Insider... <.<

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Megaman Z »

well, there's a small chance. I sent an email regarding a reply to a published letter in the July '05 issue of PCGAMER (the letter was about the "Mod Crackdown" article). well, I kinda... mentioned where one of our threads was. we may be getting some publicity in that magazine. it's only a small chance, though.
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:Btw, from what I understand, Animerica accepts articles from freelancers. If someone here :cough:mikey:cough: would be willing to write and submit something, that would be awesome!
What a subtle way of saying... "hey, write your articles for someone else!"
^_^ jk. I don't know about this - currently I'm happy that there is a website where the articles make sense instead of just being there to enlighten people.

Actually, there were a few articles about b-games in czech and slovak printed (general) gaming magazines. In the best selling ones of each country there was Horny bunnies 2 and Gibo, the latter done a bit worse. But you can guess the presentation - labeled Japanese perverted games. Still, there IS some awareness.