Currently unamed project - a personal story

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Dexterp91

Currently unamed project - a personal story

#1 Post by Dexterp91 »

So, my name is Dexter, I'm a 25 year old disabled person; I have cerebral palsy.

I occasionally get told I should write about my childhood, it was a mess, it was miserable, it was emotional. I spent a fair amount of time in hospital, I had to learn a lot of hard life lessons at an early age. I was looking at ren'py earlier, and the thought crossed my mind that I should write about/open up about my experiences, and that this might be the best medium to do it in.

I'll list a few points below, look at getting an artist onboard, and see where I can take this from there. I'm guessing it will be a kicstarted project, if it ever gets past a conceptual stage.

Points of interest

This will be deeply personal, and will tread ground that a lot of people might not be comfortable with (18 rated I guess)

All of the events covered in the VN will be of past true experiences. I don't want to dilute anything with any sort of fluff.

Because of the above point, the VN will either use timeskips or be episodic to accommodate for certain scenarios.

There might be a kind of hub place, a place where the story starts, but with many many many branching paths. This could be a very huge project, those those who enjoy replay value and branching paths, enjoy it..

The art will be carefully selected.. I can't draw, but I have many talented friends who are able to.. the hard part will be opening upto them, vividly describing situations or places, feelings etc.

This post is a mess, I know, and I can't promise this project will ever become anything... but, if there's enough interest I'll do what I can. Ask me any questions!

Jain
Regular

Re: Currently unamed project - a personal story

#2 Post by Jain »

I would be interested in this kind of story. You seem to have a unique perspective and that will allow you to give readers/players the kind of story they might not have encountered before.

One thing I would warn about would be getting too close to the story. With a deeply personal story there can't help but be some overlap, but would readers/players be experiencing this through an actual character, or through you? Will you be able to handle criticism of your story and characters, as this is based on the story of your life?

It might help you and your story to transform your experiences into something that hits the same notes, evokes the same feelings and lessons, without it being absolutely identical. That would give you some authorial distance from the narrative, and I believe, help you craft the best story, even if it is a little different than your experiences.