Looking for help with first project

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Endless

Looking for help with first project

#1 Post by Endless »

Hi there!

I'm new here at the community, and I'm looking for someone to work with. I'm not the best writer in the world, I can't even draw stickfigures correctly, and my programming skills shouldn't even be mentioned, but if you don't mind, I'd love to work with you.

The basic plotline is that of a young man living in a tiny village at the edge of the great wilderness. When the game starts, he's just turned 16 and the village elder has ordered him to undertake the Test of Adulthood. He is told to bring back a jewel from the ruins of an old temple, located somewhere in the wilderness. As he sets of to find the temple, he is attacked by small, humanoid monsters (commonly known as Goblins) but easily "fights" them off. The journey to the temple takes 3 days, and when he finally locates it, he has to explore the temple, while avoiding the two giant spiders that live there, solve a puzzle to enter a hidden chamber and steal the jewel from the newly hatched acid dragon that guards it.

The game is supposed to be more like a novel than a rpg, since I don't have the knowledge to program the high-grade material needed to make a real rpg. "Simple Example" As Leonas settles down to rest after a long days walk across the plains, he hears a sudden and unfamilliar noise. As he looks around to locate the source of the sound, he spots a pack of small, green and ugly humans trying to sneak up on him. What does he do? "End Example" And here, the player gets to decide if Leonas stays and fights, if he runs for cover or if he does something else (what isn't really decided yet), and depending on what the player picks, the dialogue will be slightly different (describing the fight or how he sneaks past them, for example) before returning to the main storyline again.

As for the puzzle, ideally it would be best if the player had to think alittle on his/her own, preferably by having to solve the puzzle on their own, but I don't know if this is possible (I've read alittle on the imagemap thing but I can't figure out the how-to about it).

The rules here state that I need some kind of material to back-up my call for help, more than just "Hey, I got this great idea and I'm looking for people to help me". Material which I don't have yet. But I'll post here anyway, and if I do something wrong, I'll just take the blow for it (please be gentle).

Incase you find this interesting, what I'm looking for is basically an artist who can draw whatever art might be needed, a programmer who can code the game and a writer who can transform my own dull texts into a more attractive, interesting piece of litterature (the last part I can try on my own, but since I'm not too confident, help would be appreciated).

Thank you for reading this far, and if you feel the need to post C&C please do so here or in the Game-Makers Corner (where I posted the original thread)
G- Jonny

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Looking for help with first project

#2 Post by Aleema »

Yiiikes. I suggest you choose at least one of those and do it yourself for your first game. Really ... you can't really say its your game ... not to sound rude or anything. If you want to play Producer/Director, you'll have to offer your staff something like money, fame, or some sort of compensation to keep them motivated. Outside of the moral issue, leaving your entire game in the hands of other people (people who don't really care, mind you) is going to frustrate you something fierce when you find you have to replace your artist every two week from them dropping out.

Again, my suggestion is that you attempt to contribute something directly to your game. Because no one's going to want to be at your every whim for free. Most can write their stories, but need help drawing or coding. Right now, you've got nothing to offer. Sorry to break it to ya ... =\

dstarsboy
Veteran

#3 Post by dstarsboy »

I agree... read a lot of writing tutorials and start working on scripts and plots. It's not bad to ask for an editor or a proof reader, especially if English is your second language, but you'll want to do probably 80% of the writing on your own to have a real stake in your VN.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Endless

#4 Post by Endless »

I was expecting something along these lines. And as it turns out, I am actually working on writing the script myself. I am just not all that good at transforming my own, rather flavorless texts into something people would enjoy reading. But I am still giving it a try : ) Hopefully, I will have a -very- simple demo out in the near future.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

I think you need to ask yourself: WHY do you want to make a game?

Good luck on the writing. The only way to get better in that field is to just do it.
The rule of good writing is that the first thousand pages you ever write will be complete crap, so get the thousand pages out of the way. :P