In search for useful renpy tutorials

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
viccya

In search for useful renpy tutorials

#1 Post by viccya »

I'm new to the forum, and to Ren'py itself.

I know a couple of things such as default statements, some stuff about screens, and the basics overall. But I don't actually know any further, and by that I mean python itself.
I've been thinking of watching some specific python tutorials (there's many on youtube) but the point is that by learning specifically python I don't think it would be the way to go, since Ren'Py have a weird way of using pythonic language.

What I'm here for is to ask if any of you would know a youtube channel, a website, or any other kind of tutorial for renpy and it's advanced coding. (I tried the Ren'Py website itself but it's kind of an all around)

I have some plans such as implementing: a rpg like system, buying clothes, a random outcome system, day & night, etc
I've been searching decent tutorials all over youtube but honestly could find few helpful.

If some of you could share how/where you learned to code on Ren'Py I would be very grateful! : :D

Observation: I do know about the cookbook but what I really need is a thoroughly explained tutorial of all the concepts from stores to classes, and so on. I actually want to learn the basis so I can pull out the rest by myself.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: In search for useful renpy tutorials

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I can tell you how I learned Ren'Py.
1) I went to the documentation: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/
and then I just started working through it, making sample projects where I would work through each section. I haven't done all the sections, but that was one of the things I did.
2) I looked through the code of the tutorial game.
3) I took the Python course on codeacademy.com
4) I looked through the cookbook.
5) I started work on a 10 minute game that had things in it I wanted to learn, then I learned through doing.
6) When I had specific questions for the game I'm working on, I'd search the documentation, cookbook, and then the questions forums and see if anyone else asked. If no one has, then I'd post a question.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978