A hearty hello

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
BlindMan

A hearty hello

#1 Post by BlindMan »

Hello to all. I am BlindMan. I am legally blind, sight in one eye. I've been a novelist for a few years and stumbled across this site today.

It looks very good. And I've been searching for a Ren'ai creation program to write novels for my friends.

plug: My fav visual novel is Kana: Imouto (ending 4). I had never weeped before until then.

Anyways, does anyone know of any Ren'Ai creation software that is Screen-Reader compatible? I'm primarily looking for Text-only programs with sound. (since my drawing is HORRID and my totally blind friends wouldn't quite care about my 'lovely' pictures.) ^_^

I have an attachment for the manual of a Visual Novel creator for the GamePark 32 handheld. It has a syntax that is very appealing to me. Check the demo file.

If anyone knows such a program for Win32 (or could port it / make a similar syntax system) please let me know.

PS - If you have Paypal, I wouldn't mind compensating you for your time and effort...

-BlindMan
Attachments
Test.zip
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Uwaah - a novelist. Finally, company ^^

I fancy myself a writer, too, though I haven't published a novel yet, so far. Written - yes. ^_^

I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem, though. Maybe Py'Tom could convert Ren'Py to fit that special purpose?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Hi. I'm the author of the Ren'Py visual novel engine. You can read the syntax that I use for an example game at:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/dl/5.0/example.html

While right now there's no support for accessibility in Ren'Py, I'd be happy to add support. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what the best way to do this would be.

One idea would be to have Ren'Py run in a mode that prints text out into a command prompt window, while somehow indicating what can be clicked on or not. I'm assuming that there's fairly good command prompt support in readers, right?

I don't know much about adding accessibility to applications, so if you could give me some pointers in the right direction, that would help a bit.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

BlindMan

#4 Post by BlindMan »

I've never worked with Python stuff before, and don't know how accessible it would be. I have worked with other engines. *ADRIFT, Quest, QML and they work fine.

Command line apps are a pain for the VI comunity. If I may, I will make a GUI and post a screenshot when I can. Shouldn't be too hard.

I assume the 'game' is read from a file? And Ren'Py interprets it along with graphics and such.

Thanks again,
BlindMan

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Well, Ren'Py is just one python program. My gut feeling is that as it stands now, Ren'Py isn't very accessible... I treat text as images throughout.

If someone could point me to some documentation explaining how to program for accessibility, that would probably help.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom