Trouble with inheritance

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mtermik
Regular

Trouble with inheritance

#1 Post by mtermik »

I am having a bit of an issue when it comes to one class inheriting another. As a simple example I have a class called Person, which contains generic information about a person object. This class is contained in it's own file called person.rpy. I have another class called Male, which contains specific information about a male character. This class is contained in it's own file called male.rpy. Both files are located in the same sub-folder (Objects) with in the project structure. I've included an empty __init__.py file within the Objects folder as well.

The code I currently have is this:

Code: Select all

$ from person import Person

init python:
    class Male(Person):
        def __init__(self, name, *args, **kwargs):
            super().__init__(*args, **kwargs)
However, I receive the following error when launching the project:

"NameError: name 'Person' is not defined".
I realize that I can solve the problem by nesting the Person class within the same file as the Male class. But that is sub-optimal as I have a Female class which also inherits from Person, and having multiple classes contained within the same file is an abhorrent coding practice.

So my question is this, am I improperly referencing the import, missing a step, or some otherwise messing it up myself, or is it a limitation of renpy that it cannot inherit from a class in a different file?

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Trouble with inheritance

#2 Post by m_from_space »

It's important to know that Renpy tries to initialize Python "init" blocks according to their priority. Maybe that's your problem. You should also put your imports behind an init block, maybe that's the actual problem. Just throwing things here. :D

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/pyth ... -statement

init python:
    from person import Person
    class Male(Person):

mtermik
Regular

#3 Post by mtermik »

m_from_space wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:14 pm It's important to know that Renpy tries to initialize Python "init" blocks according to their priority. Maybe that's your problem. You should also put your imports behind an init block, maybe that's the actual problem. Just throwing things here. :D

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/pyth ... -statement

init python:
    from person import Person
    class Male(Person):
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I had already tried that. Putting the import inside of the init block has the engine attempting to load person as a module not an individual class. Which results in the following error:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'person'

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#4 Post by Ocelot »

You do not have to use import when referring to a class defined in another rpy file.

Because functionally all rpy files work as a single file, no need for import. Just make sure that init order is correct (you want Person be initialized before Male, for example).
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

mtermik
Regular

#5 Post by mtermik »

Ocelot wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:30 pm You do not have to use import when referring to a class defined in another rpy file.

Because functionally all rpy files work as a single file, no need for import. Just make sure that init order is correct (you want Person be initialized before Male, for example).
I was wondering if order of initialization was a problem. How do I define the init order within the project?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#6 Post by Ocelot »

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/python.h ... -statement

TL;DR: add a init priority number between init and python: init -123 python:
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

mtermik
Regular

#7 Post by mtermik »

Ok so I think I have it all figured out now, as my project compiles and runs without any errors being thrown. However, I hate when someone figures something out, leaves the thread and never informs others about the solution. So for anyone else who runs into this issue, I had to adjust my files accordingly.

init 1 python:
    class Person:
        def __init__(self):

init 2 python:
    class Male(Person):

init 2 python:
    class Female(Person):
No need for the importing of the class into the sub-classes.

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by m_from_space »

mtermik wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:35 pm I was wondering if order of initialization was a problem. How do I define the init order within the project?
It's what I mentioned first and I also provided the link for it, make sure to properly read replies. :)