Editor/proofreader seeking unpaid work

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Anvil Factory

Editor/proofreader seeking unpaid work

#1 Post by Anvil Factory »

I will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in English soon, and I should probably get something on my resume. Experience is everything, after all.

I'm probably shortchanging myself, but I'm interested in providing commercial game developers the opportunity to have their scripts proofread for grammatical errors and such, for free. Well, aside from an honorable mention so employers don't think I'm a lying liar. (Redundancy for humorous effect, I promise!) I'm also willing to give script writing a shot, but I can't promise anything overwhelmingly great since I'm a self-taught creative writer.

If interested, please contact me via PM.

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Re: Editor/proofreader seeking unpaid work

#2 Post by mysterialize »

Are you willing to edit for non-commercial projects?

Anvil Factory

#3 Post by Anvil Factory »

I'm willing to consider it, but I'll place precedence on commercial projects. You're certainly welcome to send me a script whenever you're short of hands. I can't promise anything, that's all!

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#4 Post by mysterialize »

Heh, alright. I'll wait a bit and see if you get any other responses first then. I've just been having bad luck finding proofreaders who will stick around, but I'm sure I can get something to work.

Thanks though. I may contact you later.

Anvil Factory

#5 Post by Anvil Factory »

I received an offer via PM, actually. I'd love to look over your script; I'm only uncertain about speed, that's all. \o/ Just send it to me when you're done.

robinwriter

#6 Post by robinwriter »

Hi Anvil,

Your offer seems workable (IMO), lets hope it goes good with the game developers. The best thing you could do to promote yourself (authentically), is to provide some examples. Even if you’re a self-taught pro, prospects would like to see “what can you give us?”.

Anvil Factory

#7 Post by Anvil Factory »

Thanks for the advice. I've actually received two offers, so I'm feeling good. Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that represents my current abilities, but I'm willing to provide prospects with samples over PM. I'd hardly call myself a pro, though. I don't have that mentality, or the confidence, yet. :lol:

Jake
Support Hero

#8 Post by Jake »

Anvil Factory wrote: Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that represents my current abilities
To be honest, while it's very good advice for writers and artists putting themselves forwards, it's not immediately obvious how you'd provide examples of proofreading or editing work anyway... to get a really good idea of how good you are at editing, you'd need to provide before-and-after of whole stories, not to mention examples of the kind of feedback you gave - and self-written 'examples' are more or less pointless, since anyone can find errors and weaknesses that they inserted themselves on purpose.

I guess you could provide examples of your writing in the same manner a writer might, but that's really only half the story when you're talking about proofreading and editing, it'll just show that you have decent spelling and grammar...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#9 Post by jack_norton »

I found that most people (not all of course) that worked with me so far in various fields including writing/proofreading lack a simple requisite: being constant. So many people start enthusiast, then basically disappear from a day to another... :?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Anvil Factory

#10 Post by Anvil Factory »

Jake wrote:
Anvil Factory wrote: Unfortunately, I don't really have anything that represents my current abilities
To be honest, while it's very good advice for writers and artists putting themselves forwards, it's not immediately obvious how you'd provide examples of proofreading or editing work anyway... to get a really good idea of how good you are at editing, you'd need to provide before-and-after of whole stories, not to mention examples of the kind of feedback you gave - and self-written 'examples' are more or less pointless, since anyone can find errors and weaknesses that they inserted themselves on purpose.

I guess you could provide examples of your writing in the same manner a writer might, but that's really only half the story when you're talking about proofreading and editing, it'll just show that you have decent spelling and grammar...
I was more or less thinking the same. There's a big difference between editing my own work versus editing someone else's, too. Thanks!

jack_norton wrote:I found that most people (not all of course) that worked with me so far in various fields including writing/proofreading lack a simple requisite: being constant. So many people start enthusiast, then basically disappear from a day to another... :?
:lol: That's pretty unfortunate. Don't worry; I'm still around! I'll probably seem a lot slower compared to how speedy I was for the first batch because I'm trying to be more thorough. I'll be looking at the previous batch, too, so it'll be a while.
Last edited by Anvil Factory on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#11 Post by jack_norton »

Ah that was not actually directed at you or anyone else here :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games