NekoCrow visual novel & manga reader! ^_^

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
BubbleCat
Soundcloud: BubbleCat

NekoCrow visual novel & manga reader! ^_^

#1 Post by BubbleCat »

Link

YouTube 1-minute micro guide

Hey there, folks! So this here is a fully featured (totally free) visual novel and manga reader that I proudly cooked up. It is meant as a streamlined Japanese learning tool, but you can use it with the browser's in-built translation too. The main TL;DR features are:
  • Works right from the browser, nothing to install, nothing to configure, ready to be used in 1 minute!
  • Uses OCR (text recognition), works on every novel / image / video
  • Works with browser extensions (translation / flashcards/ AI etc.)
  • Comes with a full text analyzer engine, kanji info database, full dictionary, 200 000 example sentences, smart automatic verb inflector/definflector, auto kana-to-romaji converter, word audio examples, and many other goodies!
Most importantly, if you have any feature requests, let me know!

How to:
  • Press the 'Auto' button and select the novel window
  • Select the textbox area
  • Translate the page using the browser or any translation extension
    Aaand that's basically it -- the app is configured to automatically scan and re-analyze the selected window every 3 seconds.

The full FAQ is available on the website. Here's the short version of it:

What is this?
This is a fully featured reader for Japanese visual novels (and manga, and other stuff) with built-in OCR text-from-image recognition, full dictionary, kanji data, text analyzer, auto-furigana, verb deinflector, example sentences and more!

Can I get full translation of the text / other functionality
Since this reader is a standard web app, it supports all the usual browser extensions, including the ones that offer translation / flashcards and other goodies!

If your translator works on text selection events, you can enable the auto-select option to automatically select the raw text output.
Likewise, if your translator works on clipboard copy events, you can enable the auto-copy option to insta-copy the raw text output into the clipboard.

Note: most browsers require a user gesture event (like a click on a page) each time before the auto-copy can be performed, therefore this option is best used with the manual mode.
Note: the processed text output does not work well with extensions, so make sure to select the "Show Raw" option to display the raw text.

How to improve character recognition?
  • Only select the textbox area. Selecting too much empty space might lead to inaccuracies.
  • Use the image invert, contrast and saturation options, until you get black text on a pure white background.
  • Use opaque textbox if the novel you're reading has that option.
  • Try using the "Best" recognition mode. It is slower, but (sometimes) better. Usually, the "Fast" option works well enough, though.
Can I use it with fullscreen enabled?
Certainly! Resize the browser window to a small size, put it in a corner, and use any app that enables it to stay always-on-top. Optionally, you may consider using an app that gives transparency to the browser window as well.

Is my data safe?
The part of the app that does image recognition is local -- none of your data / screenshots ever leave your PC, it works just like an offline app.

Oh, and the reader is only a small part of the main website, which is a complete dictionary / kanji reference / sentence database and many other things (also totally free)! nekocrow.com/about

Happy Reading! ^_^

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: NekoCrow visual novel & manga reader! ^_^

#2 Post by Donmai »

Wow! Finally, I can read a VN demo created by Nyaatrap that's been on my disk for years.
Thank you so much,
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

RizVN
Regular
Completed: "Love is War (Remake)", "Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota", "Vampire Hunter", "How to Win Girls and Influence People", "Hayase Yuuka Love is War [Blue Archive Fangame]"
Projects: "DELIIDOL"
itch: rizvn

Re: NekoCrow visual novel & manga reader! ^_^

#3 Post by RizVN »

This is cool.

Thank you for sharing your work with us
Check out these cute games:
Love is War (Remake) (Romance-comedy)
How to Win Girls and Influence People (Romance-comedy)
DELIIDOL (Romance-drama)
Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota (Romance-drama)