Game Career Guide's OEL renai game idea contest

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Game Career Guide's OEL renai game idea contest

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Here's something which may interest Lemma Soft regulars. I found it through a citation in a recent article on the Anime Diet blog... but unfortunately, I only learned about it days after the contest ended. If I'd heard about this earlier, then it would be more relevant...

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/831 ... lenge_.php : Game Career Guide asked, "Is there any way to make a relationship or dating game that's appealing to Westerners?" They wanted to encourage people to write ideas.

EDIT: The results were posted on March 16. These include:

1. A kid-level game with "fuzzball" charas.
2. A multiplayer mobile game which sounds vaguely like Fourscore.
3. A stylus driven game which mentions war strategy. (I was confused...)
4. A game which sounds like reality TV series. NSFW potential is mentioned.
5. Somewhere in between Sakura Taisen and Chrono Trigger combat.
6. A complex-sounding "seducer" game.
7. A game about recovering memories through significant others.
8. The western equivalent of Tokimemo Dancing Summer Vacation.

Fascinating ideas... now can any of them work as independent games, or are they too ambitious?

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

Re: Game Career Guide's OEL renai game idea contest

#2 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Isn't Mass Effect pretty much already a science-fiction VN?
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Lunethex
Regular

#3 Post by Lunethex »

Mass Effect 2 will appeal to anyone who can afford to play it.

If there is a western weeaboo, then there is a dating game for that person.

Ramidel
Regular

#4 Post by Ramidel »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:Isn't Mass Effect pretty much already a science-fiction VN?
No, it's a shooter with blue-skinned alien eye candy. :)

Jokes aside, when the majority of the game is diving for cover action sequences, it's probably not a VN or a dating sim. (Says the guy whose female charrie is still loyal to Liara and whose male can't decide between Miranda or Tali...)

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#5 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Ramidel wrote:
Tsundere Lightning wrote:Isn't Mass Effect pretty much already a science-fiction VN?
No, it's a shooter with blue-skinned alien eye candy. :)

Jokes aside, when the majority of the game is diving for cover action sequences, it's probably not a VN or a dating sim. (Says the guy whose female charrie is still loyal to Liara and whose male can't decide between Miranda or Tali...)
Okay, overstating my case. :D Still, there are people who play it primarily for the dialog and the romantic options - I know that I play it DESPITE it's FPS elements, not for them - and when RPG.net has as a running joke Miranda stammering "I... it's not like I LIKE you or anything, Shepard..." I KNOW that I'm not the only one.

A better example is probably another Bioware game, Dragon Age. You mean to tell me that it's not the same kind of game as Ar Tonelco and Fate/Stay Night? Morrigan disapproves.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Ramidel
Regular

#6 Post by Ramidel »

Morrigan also disapproves if you say it is the same kind of game. Morrigan disapproves, period :) That said, yeah, it's definitely about the relationships between the characters, even if it isn't necessarily about the romance.

'course, that's the thing about RPGs in general. More and more, they're adopting adventure game, VN and ren'ai influences in between the numbercrunchy stats. (Sometimes by accident; I recall a game about mecha and Gnosticism that got its second disc turned into a kinetic novel. ^_^) Which is all to the good. Ironically, now we're seeing more ren'ai in Western RPGs, by and large, than in Eastern RPGs (which are still, by and large, Final Fantasy and kin). Perhaps because pure VNs are a niche market over here?