Universal Music Player 1.6 crash to desktop on Mac

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BBN_VN

Universal Music Player 1.6 crash to desktop on Mac

#1 Post by BBN_VN »

Hi all. I could use a little help here. I'm working on a new build that incorporates the Ren'Py Universal Music Player. I've added all my music as manual tracks. Everything works fine on PC, but on Mac there is an immediate crash to desktop after the game finishes loading. It returns this error:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/manualtracks.rpy", line 7, in <module>
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/private/var/folders/t7/7m847lxj347_lb2k4190_5zc0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/4A192B67-5450-42CD-B457-17F66ECAD588/d/BoundbyNight.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/track/covers'
That folder is empty on my development project, but I extracted the Mac zip and looked into the folder structure, and the folder isn't there.

I tried dropping a random cover image into the folder, did a new build, and my Mac tester reports the same CTD.

Anyone else encounter this or have suggestions?

BBN_VN

Re: Universal Music Player 1.6 crash to desktop on Mac

#2 Post by BBN_VN »

After some additional poking around and testing, I have some additional details but still no idea how to solve it.

Line 7 of manualtracks/rpy is "import ost".

The ost.py file has several references to the /track/covers/ folder.

I thought because the error message is that the path wasn't found, maybe Ren'Py was stripping the folders out because there is no content there. So, I dropped an audio file into /track/ and an album cover into /covers/. After building the distributable, two things happen. First, the album cover I put in /covers/ disappeared from my developer project, and second the distributable still does not have a /track/ or /track/covers/ folders.

I do have the project set to archive the .ogg files I use for audio as well as .webp and .png files used for images. I've wondered if that could be the cause but want to check before diving in too deep.

BBN_VN

Re: Universal Music Player 1.6 crash to desktop on Mac

#3 Post by BBN_VN »

Another developer said it sounded like it may be related to how UMP resolves the folder paths for Mac, which appears to be this:

Code: Select all

if renpy.windows:
    gamedir = renpy.config.gamedir.replace("\\", "/")
elif renpy.android:
    try: os.mkdir(os.path.join(os.environ["ANDROID_PUBLIC"], "game"))
    except: pass
    gamedir = os.path.join(os.environ["ANDROID_PUBLIC"], "game")
else:
    gamedir = renpy.config.gamedir
I've tried looking over the documentation, and guidance on how to modify or use the gamedir config is limited or I'm just not understanding it.

At present, it looks like I'm just going to have to rip this out of the game and start over if I want a music player (at least one that is Mac compatible).