Unable to select project directory

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NeonNights
Tumblr: thepencilsnameissteve

Unable to select project directory

#1 Post by NeonNights »

So I installed Renpy (8.2.1) on my chromebook (using Linux) and I ran it. I went to preferences hoping to immediately select my projects directory and got a flash of a screen that read something along the lines of "please choose a directory for your projects ... renpy will load projects from here and create new projects here." (it went by so quick I was only able to read it with a very fast screenshot)
Then, it went to an error screen that said: "No directory is selected, but one is required." without ever prompting me to select a directory by opening a file explorer or something. I'm confused. Same thing happens if I try to create a new project.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Unable to select project directory

#2 Post by m_from_space »

NeonNights wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 pm Can anyone help? Thanks!
Inside the Renpy launcher you have the "preferences" -> "General" -> "Projects Directory". You should be able to insert your directory there, for example /home/user/myprojects

NeonNights

#3 Post by NeonNights »

m_from_space wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am Inside the Renpy launcher you have the "preferences" -> "General" -> "Projects Directory". You should be able to insert your directory there, for example /home/user/myprojects
How do I insert the directory though? General -> Projects Directory is where I was when the error happened. I clicked the button to pick a directory and that's what happened. So if there's another way to insert a directory I'm not sure how to do it.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

NeonNights wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:06 am
m_from_space wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am Inside the Renpy launcher you have the "preferences" -> "General" -> "Projects Directory". You should be able to insert your directory there, for example /home/user/myprojects
How do I insert the directory though? General -> Projects Directory is where I was when the error happened. I clicked the button to pick a directory and that's what happened. So if there's another way to insert a directory I'm not sure how to do it.
Is it possible that for some reason your Renpy launcher has no permissions and so it doesn't show any directory selection menu? Just a wild guess though.

NeonNights

#5 Post by NeonNights »

m_from_space wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 pm Is it possible that for some reason your Renpy launcher has no permissions and so it doesn't show any directory selection menu? Just a wild guess though.
I mean, it's certainly possible. I don't know how I'd check that though. I've never had this issue with any other Linux apps on my Chromebook - they can all access files just fine.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Open a command line, and run:

sudo apt install zenity
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

NeonNights

#7 Post by NeonNights »

PyTom wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:02 pm Open a command line, and run:

sudo apt install zenity
Zenity is already installed and the newest version.