Endless Legend - Making Fun of an Old Script of Mine

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Endless Legend - Making Fun of an Old Script of Mine

#1 Post by mysterialize »

I wanted to call this thread "Endless Legend - An RPG Script Written by 14 Year Old Me, and Illustrated/Annotated by 20 Year Old Me" but, obviously, it wouldn't fit.

So yes, five to six years ago, I wrote a summary and script for an RPG idea I had in mind, Endless Legend. I spent a year on it, and it eventually hit over one hundred pages. It was pretty much my main, if not only non-school use of time I had, and I was incredibly dedicated to it.

Then, at the end of the year, I realized it kind of sucked.

I lost interest in the project, and eventually lost the files along with it. For five years, it was lost to the ruins of cyberspace, never to be seen again.

At least until one of my friends I once emailed it to remembered that he still had access to the email I attached it to. Absolutely overjoyed, I asked him to send it back to me. A portion of it was missing, but I didn't care, because, for the first time in years I would have the chance to read the script I spent so much time on in my freshman year.

Upon rereading it, I realized it kind of sucks.

Yet, part of me wants to not let all that work go to waste. Give it some sort of adaptation, no matter how small, to please the small part of 14 year old me still sticking around inside my head. After all, 100 pages is a lot to put to waste, and hey, who knows, maybe someone will actually like it. It's like charity, except to myself! Genius.

So, I was thinking that maybe I would make a board for it, where I would post a portion of the script once a *Insert set period of time here*, complete with entirely redrawn characters, and face sets for each line. Almost like a VN, except lazier and kinda-sorta episodic. Also, most importantly, I'll add my own current comments in, sometimes within lines, to basically parody the thing.

Would anyone take any sort of interest in this, if I did it? While it would partly be done to tie off an end for myself, I also mostly intend for it to entertain people. Otherwise, there's not much of a point.

Also, feel free to make suggestions for how to present it. I'm very much open to ideas.

(If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I wasn't quite sure if this was more suited for WIP or Skill Development, since it's kind of something inbetween.)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

Re: Endless Legend - Making Fun of an Old Script of Mine

#2 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

well I thought if you really like it and you sure this would entertain people then... why not?
Of course someone would be interested to see your story, well I'll be interested myself
and you wrote 100 hundred pages long?
If you already fix it here and there where you see it bad, then it'll turn out better than before
:D
If you want to make it, Ill look forward to it

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#3 Post by mysterialize »

Well, alright. Hopefully it will manage to entertain.

The problem with trying to edit it into something better is that the issue wasn't really in the writing. Actually, after rereading it, I realized that the writing, while certainly not without it's flaws, is somewhat decent. It's childish, yes, but in a way that makes it pretty fun. The reason it sucks is that the storyline is just cheesy and full of enough plot holes to cause a car accident. Thus, a parody seemed to be in order, rather than an edit. I'll probably wind up keeping the writing as it was when it was first made, because of this.

Thank you for the support! I think I'm going to start working on the new drawing of the main character.

MaskedIdentity
Regular

#4 Post by MaskedIdentity »

I completely agree with YuukiCrossPudding, I'm also looking forward to it.
Also all I can say is WOW! 100 pages? that is pretty long considering it was only as a personal hobby.
be sure to check out my WIP otome game, The Chronicle: Elements of Time :wink:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =37&t=8618
Also check out my deviant account if you want.
http://maskedldentity.deviantart.com/

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I had to admire 100 pages of work. I can't actually sit down and do heaps of work.

I'm looking forward to it~ I have been a fan of RPG game stories, so it will be a good one for sure... :D

IceD
Veteran

#6 Post by IceD »

Wow... I highly admire you for writing such a thing at such an young age. I wrote my first true story at the age of sixteen, but it was only like 2-3 pages long. If I'm right, this may give you roughly a 40k-60k words long visual novel, which would be great.

As they say, nothing you do ever goes to waste. Care to shed more light upon your concept? :)