Point-based Systems

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Point-based Systems

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I don't know once again (admins please forgive me) if I posted on the right corner, but then, I'll take the risk and ask.

I don't know how to do those point-based systems. Like for example, when you choose the right action, it will add points on an invisible stat somewhere in the script. And on some point in the game, if the stat got enough points, it will lead to a label.

From surfing around and digging a little, I knew how to add points to stats on script. But my problem is what will happen if there are five stats going on the same time and if two stats got a tie on the points, I don't initially know what will happen.

Like if Stat 1 got at least 45 points, it will lead to it's label. Same to the other stats.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit confusing. I really need help. Thank you~

IceD
Veteran

Re: Point-based Systems

#2 Post by IceD »

Not really...

It's all about variables. You can have as much of them as you want and each of them can control a specified statistic. Furthermore, you can have, like few stats working together to achieve ceratain goal and most of simulation games work like that. If you played RE:Alistair++ for example, you can see how it is put to work and depending on what stat values you will get at the end of the game, you will achieve one or another ending and each of guys needs you to raise them differently. The game then checks if the required stats meet the minimum (like if the "strength" is >= 40 and "intelligence" is >= 50 for example, while the char/ending will need at least 35 strength and 45 intelligence) and trigger matching ending/character get/whatever. The rest depends on what type of a point-based game would you like to create.

I'd reccomend checking out Ren'Py documentation for more details no those. You might also check out the dating sim framework out there, if it's what you're looking for.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: Point-based Systems

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

IceD wrote:Not really...

It's all about variables. You can have as much of them as you want and each of them can control a specified statistic. Furthermore, you can have, like few stats working together to achieve ceratain goal and most of simulation games work like that. If you played RE:Alistair++ for example, you can see how it is put to work and depending on what stat values you will get at the end of the game, you will achieve one or another ending and each of guys needs you to raise them differently. The game then checks if the required stats meet the minimum (like if the "strength" is >= 40 and "intelligence" is >= 50 for example, while the char/ending will need at least 35 strength and 45 intelligence) and trigger matching ending/character get/whatever. The rest depends on what type of a point-based game would you like to create.

I'd reccomend checking out Ren'Py documentation for more details no those. You might also check out the dating sim framework out there, if it's what you're looking for.
Herm, I was thinking more of attraction points ...
But then thank you~! C: