How to make a visual novel??

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular
Projects: Best friends and something more(GxB)

How to make a visual novel??

#1 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

I don't really know how to make a visual novel, but I really want to!Help!I don't know how to start. With what do I paint the characters, how to get music, script, and most important HOW TO PUBLISH??I know this is boring topic, but please, help!Arigatou.
Note:Don't explain in too complicated form

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: How to make a visual novel??

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Well.

http://www.renpy.org/

Reading helps. If you download RenPy, there's a tutorial game that explains the bare basics of how to use the programming.

And for free resources like music and art.

http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Main_Page

Try to actually search for topics on the forum that may already have answered your questions as well :)

As for digital art... Hahaha, we could go on for pages about what digital art program you can use, from Photoshop to Paint Tool Sai, but in this case: http://www.gimp.org/

Gimp's free to download and from what I know, isn't bad to use for digital art uses.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular

#3 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

I downloaded ren'py, but something is wrong with the script and I don't know how to make a character there?I know I'm a real niusance, but I will look forward to your answers. Arigatou

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

Look, if you're going to get anywhere doing ANYTHING remotely related to VN making, you really have to either:

a) Be specific with your problem. What editor are you using? Java? Scite? What exactly do you mean "wrong with the script?" That does not tell anyone anything and there's no way anyone can help just from that.

b) Figure out what you're doing wrong yourself and if you honestly can't figure it out, then come back and ask.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular

#5 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

MaiMai wrote:Look, if you're going to get anywhere doing ANYTHING remotely related to VN making, you really have to either:

a) Be specific with your problem. What editor are you using? Java? Scite? What exactly do you mean "wrong with the script?" That does not tell anyone anything and there's no way anyone can help just from that.

b) Figure out what you're doing wrong yourself and if you honestly can't figure it out, then come back and ask.
I'm using Java, and the exact error with the script is that that when i do as tutorial say and i redo the script there is again something wrong. I want to make a VN but when i used the programs about doll making they didn't worked. I tried to open but when i clicked and waited nothing happened :(

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

If you could copy and paste the screen that tells you something is wrong, we'd be able to see what went wrong.

Also, if you're trying to make actual character images, you have to use an image editing program like GIMP, Paint Tool SAI, or Photoshop.

Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular

#7 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

sake-bento wrote:If you could copy and paste the screen that tells you something is wrong, we'd be able to see what went wrong.

Also, if you're trying to make actual character images, you have to use an image editing program like GIMP, Paint Tool SAI, or Photoshop.
label start
scene bg Charming-Girls-Bedrooms-With-Hearts-Theme-Batticuo = "Charming-Girls-Bedrooms-With-Hearts-Theme-Batticuo.jpg
"This is my room."
e "It's not very big for my taste, anyhow. And it's too ... white"
"Annice" "Good morning, my dear ojou-sama." this is what i edited by now and tnx for letting me now about photoshop i love your games btw.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#8 Post by netravelr »

Found what's wrong.

Code: Select all

scene bg Charming-Girls-Bedrooms-With-Hearts-Theme-Batticuo = "Charming-Girls-Bedrooms-With-Hearts-Theme-Batticuo.jpg
should end with a " as well. Also I don't know if it's okay to do - between words or not in python..... also you should declare the background variable before the game if I were you I could either do:

Code: Select all

//Declare variables upfront... oh yeah, this is a comment. Helps keep you organized and lets you remember what you're doing
image bg girlsBattico = "Charming-Girls-Bedrooms-With-Hearts-Theme-Batticuo.jpg"
define e = Character('Eileen', color="#c8ffc8")

//Start up the game
label start:
    //Set a background to show before starting your dialog
    scene bg girlsBattico
    "This is my room."
    e "It's not very big for my taste, anyhow. And it's too ... white"
    "Annice" "Good morning, my dear ojou-sama." this is what i edited by now and tnx for letting me now about photoshop i love your games btw.

Does this help at all?
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular

#9 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

thank you very much, this is really big help.

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#10 Post by Sakura02 »

I highly recommend playing the "Renpy Tutorial game" That is on the Renpy menu when you launch it. That explains ALOT, provides examples and much more. I used it a lot when starting out. ^_^ for anything more complex do a search for the specific problems you have on the forums or look at the FAQs there are a lot of resources out there.

Not that we don't want to help it's just that a lot of us are really busy with our own projects, many of the answers are out there, we'd just be repeating ourselves, and we can't walk you through every single little step. A lot of it is research, trial and error and patience. please be specific with any problems you have in the future and

1. Provide a Screencap
2. Provide the Code that's giving you the error or the code you are having problems with.

with those we'll be happy to help. :)

Cute.Sakura.Princess
Regular

#11 Post by Cute.Sakura.Princess »

i know and i'm sorry to bother you and the rest. guys thank you for all your suggestions i'll make sure for them to be useful