Past or present tense

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

Past or present tense

#1 Post by Arithra »

Since I have finished the planning of the game, I will now start writing everything out.

But this is were I encountered a problem.
I am used to writing in past tense, but seeing as the story of the vn is happening just this moment, I wasn't sure which tense I should use.
What do you prefer, if the story is written in the first person?
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Past or present tense

#2 Post by Aleema »

I don't think I prefer to read one more than the other in a VN, but when I'm writing, I definitely prefer past tense. It stifles inner monologue, though. My editor has to point out every "in the moment" phrase I write because it's present tense. ^^; So I wouldn't recommend past tense unless you personally prefer writing in it.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

It is always past tense, unless you're doing present tense intentionally. Personally, I will go mad within half an hour if your game is in present tense without some clever literary meaning behind it.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by musical74 »

I think past tense too...

Unless you plan on doing a *this is my train of thought at this moment*, past tense just seems easier.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Arithra wrote:...I am used to writing in past tense, but seeing as the story of the vn is happening just this moment, I wasn't sure which tense I should use.
Go with your first instinct: Past tense. Fiction in English is always written in the Past tense. The only time Present tense should be used is in a non-fiction / professional document such as a letter, a business report, or an essay.

Other languages use the Present tense, so stories that are poorly translated often show up written that way. (These same stories tend to use em-dashes (--) and ellipses (...) instead of commas and periods.)
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

lastmousestanding
Regular

#6 Post by lastmousestanding »

Past Tense - but you can change tenses if you want to create a certain mood and when the narration style changes - e.g. when the POV changes to another character for a short time...

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

Writing in past and present tense is indeed different. It's quite possible to write an engaging story in the present tense, but it follows different rules from stories in the past tense - I wouldn't say it's required to write in past tense as that disconnects the reader a little more from the story, and the format of the VN -is- usually "Choose Your Own Adventure", where it would look a little odd if you made decisions that affect the past rather than future actions.

To further illustrate the point of differing writing conventions:
"I watched her scurry away to the classroom." is acceptable in past tense first person.
"I watch her scurry away to the classroom." is not acceptable in present tense first person; instead, it becomes "She scurries away to the classroom." In present tense, the rule is to not describe what the narrator is doing, but what they are actively experiencing.

Write in whatever tense you are most comfortable with, and try to stick to it unless you use historical present.

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#8 Post by Chrizine »

Applegate wrote:I wouldn't say it's required to write in past tense as that disconnects the reader a little more from the story, and the format of the VN -is- usually "Choose Your Own Adventure", where it would look a little odd if you made decisions that affect the past rather than future actions.
That's exactly my point... I do think it's odd.
I know we are more used to writing in past tense, but why not make it a challenge for the writer to enable the players to go deeper into the story by using present tense?
I'm still unsure what would be better.
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Dreamtale
Regular

#9 Post by Dreamtale »

You can mix past and present, it's just a good thing to do (dunno about english though, i'm russian lol). E.g. you can't write all text in past - it will be like a manual to the microwave - dry and boring. Present serves to make your story more colourful and dynamic, that reader'll think that it's happening with him right now.