Need a little help

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
vanifist

Need a little help

#1 Post by vanifist »

I need someone to help me make a game forum thing, i got everything set up, but i need a money system, and battle system{monsters or other players} please help me, thanks

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Please define "game forum thing" more precisely.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

i think he means like in some of those online forums with an rpg style ranking system where you can buy the privilege to earn avatars and stuff based on your posts.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

vanifist

#4 Post by vanifist »

its a starwars type game, if i cud get the stuff going, id have alot of people coming, the posts dosent matter, i just need a battle system, and a money/bank sysem, and a shop system.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

RPG engines

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

To Vanifist:

The Wikipedia has a list of tools to make RPG-style games here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG_Game_Makers. The article on indie games might help as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game.

So says the Taiyaki Fan. Watch the Air anime and say it loud: Gao Gao Stegosaurus!
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

herenvardo
Veteran

#6 Post by herenvardo »

Depending on complexity, I could probably aid you; but I'd need a bit more of detail.
PyTom wrote:Please define "game forum thing" more precisely.
Thats the point! Or, said in another words, which is supposed to be the relation between the forum and the game? Will players use the forum to post the actions of their characters? Will it be only some kind of additional support for the game? Please, go deeper into this point, because in order to help you we must understand what do you need.

Anyhow, I have an idea of what you're trying to do, because I've done similar things. It would be great to know which technologies do you use on your server. If you've PHP and MySQL available, which are both free technologies and very common, you can do great things. If this is the case, there are a lot of chances that your forum is based on PHPBB. In any case, it will be good if you confirm (or rebate) this.
So, I'm expecting for your reply (about both the kind of game you want to create and the technology upon which you'll build it). Once you tell me these things, I can start giving you some guidelines and even code ;)
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

If the "game forum thing" is a forum that supports money and stores and the like (ala gaia online), then I'd say that it is off-topic for this forum, and discussion should probably taken elsewhere.

Systems like Tokimeki Online or a hypothetical Ren'Py Online would be on-topic for this forum, but I don't believe your system would be.

I'd suggest the phpbb forums, as IIRC they have mods that can do at least some of what you need. But I know little about them.

No longer speaking ex cathedra, I'd say that "If you build it, they will come" is probably the wron approach to take to your venture. I'd start a community devoted to your topic, and add forum features as they are needed by the community, but no sooner.

herenvardo
Veteran

#8 Post by herenvardo »

PyTom wrote:If the "game forum thing" is a forum that supports money and stores and the like (ala gaia online), then I'd say that it is off-topic for this forum, and discussion should probably taken elsewhere.
I've just read this forum's title, description, and the sticky post at the beginning; and I've to disagree with that comment.
Quoting the sticky:
Blue Lemma wrote:Welcome to the newest Lemma Soft forum! Here in the Game Makers' Corner, you can talk about all things game-making.
This "game forum thing" is some game-making, isn't it?
Even so, I've to say that this is not the best source to get help for this kind of project. Anyhow, vanifist has been lucky: there is somebody around here who has good practice doing this kind of stuff, and would be glad to help him (I'm of course refering to myself 8) )
PyTom wrote:[...] or a hypothetical Ren'Py Online [...]
Have something already in mind or it's really hypothetical? :lol:
PyTom wrote:No longer speaking ex cathedra, I'd say that "If you build it, they will come" is probably the wron approach to take to your venture. I'd start a community devoted to your topic, and add forum features as they are needed by the community, but no sooner.
That one is a good point. But anyhow, if people who comes find some features already working, and they like it, they'll attract more people there and new ideas and suggestions can come in. I'd suggest to do something in the middle: working on this features and at the same time anouncing your 'forum game thing' by telling friends, posting in relevant forums and so on...
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

herenvardo wrote:I've just read this forum's title, description, and the sticky post at the beginning; and I've to disagree with that comment.
Quoting the sticky:
Blue Lemma wrote:Welcome to the newest Lemma Soft forum! Here in the Game Makers' Corner, you can talk about all things game-making.
This "game forum thing" is some game-making, isn't it?
Yes, but it's not about Ren'Ai game making. And while we've had mission creep to include all sorts of visual novels, the sort of forum game he describes seems somewhat out of scope for our community.

PyTom wrote:[...] or a hypothetical Ren'Py Online [...]
Have something already in mind or it's really hypothetical? :lol:
I have something in the vague idea department... a combination of Ren'Py and an online service, with the online service downloading script parts to Ren'Py as necessary. The online service would handle persistence... and might also judge some things, like timing.

One idea for a game mechanic (not one that necessarily requires Ren'Py online) would be one that's spread out over time. So if you'd schedule a date for Saturday, the game wouldn't play that date until Saturday. And if you didn't play the game on Saturday, well, the game would take that as you skipping the date, which could be harmful.

Using an online service to provide persistence and timing could prevent cheating, although I'm not sure that's strictly necessary.

Wolfrider

#10 Post by Wolfrider »

PyTom wrote:Please define "game forum thing" more precisely.

Code: Select all

#define game_forum_thing //insert before this comment
I don't know much of this but... RenPy Online? it reminds me of the concept of Tokimemo online. I don't know if Python can handle this type of programming, and in the end, if Renpy is bieng designed with that concept in mind (my bet: it is not)
But the idea of a Mega Multiplayer Online Ren Ai Game (MMORAG) is a concept to take into account.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom »

Hm... While I haven't done anything explicitly to support Ren'Py Online, I haven't done anything to preclude it, either. Tokimeki Memorial aside, I don't think the VN concept is really suited for multiplayer, what with the utter lack of gameplay and all. But having content downloaded from the net to a client seems much more feasible to me.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

Wolfrider wrote:But the idea of a Mega Multiplayer Online Ren Ai Game (MMORAG) is a concept to take into account.
You'd have to watch though, that its core gameplay doesn't lapse into something like a matchmaking/dating forum. Playing a dating game when you know the other person is also real feels like cheating on your real-life partner.

Perhaps a viable concept would be many people dating many virtual girls. :?

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#13 Post by Counter Arts »

Actually making a multi-player VN/renai game is an idea I've been tossing around. It's going to be setup like either Diablo II style or arcade style.

It's going to have to be timed so that everyone stays on the same page. To make it interesting, there are going to have to be seveal events going on at the same time.

And here's a possible setting.

Typical school storyline taking place in a small town. You walk to school, do school, go home or go somewhere else, do something at that place you're at, then go home or sleeping place, go to sleep.

Some events you'll require more than one person. Like, for example a girl who doesn't have enough self-confidence. You can co-ordinate between other players to dote on her and boost her self-esteem.

Or a girl goes missing! You can try to search for her all together.

Or there's a bully!

Or a girl appears to be hanging around the rooftop of the school looking depressed a lot. That's not good.

Then occasionally something just totally distrupts daily life on a random day. Then you use your uber skills that you developed to save the day. You can choose to save one girl or try to save the town.

Interesting no? Although each round would have to be a set time, like one min or something. Faster if everyone finishes faster.

RedSlash
Veteran

#14 Post by RedSlash »

The "game forum thingy" isn't even classified as "game making". It's more like under "software setup", should such a forum exists.

I wouldn't imagine how an online VN would work unless it becoms a Visual Chatroom. The genre doesn't seem suited for online.

On the other hand, you can create a ren'py client which integrates with the renpy archives, such that it would let you search/download/play any games from the archieve on demand. New games submitted would automatically show up in the client, etc.. Just an idea.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

Well, the basic idea for the Ren'Py online concept would be to download parts of a single expanding story, rather than entirely new VNs... but yeah, that's the idea. Perhaps it would also be setup to allow users to add content, but I don't know how that would work.

I don't see a need, or even a use, for a multiplayer aspect to the game. It just doesn't fit well with the visual novel* concept.

Anyway, it's not a serious plan at the time... I have other projects I want to try first... and deadlines to accomplish before them... and I should probably graduate sometime...

* bishoujo game, ren'ai game, AVG, dating sim, storytelling game, graphical interactive fiction, novel game... whatever today's name for it is.