Search found 218 matches

by Kinjo
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 am
Forum: Ren'Py Questions and Announcements
Topic: [SOLVED] How to save and load a list of objects?
Replies: 1
Views: 192

[SOLVED] How to save and load a list of objects?

I created a navigation system for a certain game using a custom Python class. The Navigation class is initialized at the beginning of the game by an "init python" block. It contains a member variable "previousRooms" which is a list of strings containing the names of the rooms the player has visited....
by Kinjo
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 am
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Looking for Feedback on a First Chapter Draft
Replies: 9
Views: 838

Re: Looking for Feedback on a First Chapter Draft

Posted some feedback on the doc. I'd agree with everything the others have said, too. Hope it helps.
by Kinjo
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm
Forum: Creator Discussion
Topic: How do you deal with de-motivation?
Replies: 9
Views: 943

Re: How do you deal with de-motivation?

Yes, I've had similar thoughts before. Realize that your project can only ever be finished if you put forth the effort to make it happen. And every minute you're not working on it is a minute that could be spent getting closer to your project's release. In other words, the only person who can truly ...
by Kinjo
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Fictional Real-World Locations
Replies: 9
Views: 1104

Re: Fictional Real-World Locations

Ultimately it's up to you, but here's my opinion. Setting a story in a particular location should be for the benefit of the people reading it. So for instance, Steins;Gate is set in Akihabara and draws a lot upon their culture for certain parts of the story. You could probably pretend to write a sto...
by Kinjo
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Writing Courtroom Trials
Replies: 5
Views: 636

Re: Writing Courtroom Trials

Interesting essay Katy, I'd second giving that a read. I'd like to add that there are some useful rules Ace Attorney tends to follow: - each clue is used at least once (so the player can use process of elimination: which one hasn't been presented yet?) - some deductions can be solved by presenting m...
by Kinjo
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Forum: Creator Discussion
Topic: Commercial Otome Game and Gameplay Change : including 2D mini games ?
Replies: 9
Views: 916

Re: Commercial Otome Game and Gameplay Change : including 2D mini games ?

Rose Guns Days makes its fighting scenes more exciting by including minigames where you click on different parts of the screen to indicate firing and dodging bullet shots. With the intense music in the background, I think it's pretty effective. One thing you might want to consider is that if you in...
by Kinjo
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:36 pm
Forum: I am a Programmer, Director, or Other
Topic: Code Your Game in 7 Days or Less - Unity/RenPy/Web Developer [OPEN]
Replies: 2
Views: 1776

Re: Super Fast Unity/RenPy/Web Developer [OPEN]

Re-opening this thread for commissions. As suggested, I've also listed some base prices. Enjoy!
by Kinjo
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 am
Forum: Creator Discussion
Topic: War Simulation - RNG/Percentage Win/Loss - Good or Bad?
Replies: 3
Views: 390

Re: War Simulation - RNG/Percentage Win/Loss - Good or Bad?

Whoever has the highest chance of winning obviously wins the fight, but if the units are close to tying/balance, it would rely on an RNG. This is a little confusing to me. So let's say I have a 73% chance of winning, and my opponent thus has a 27% chance of winning. You're saying I would automatica...
by Kinjo
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 am
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Some thoughts on repetitive/dragging prose
Replies: 6
Views: 690

Re: Some thoughts on repetitive/dragging prose

I think these are two distinct issues, so it might be easier to break them down and address them separately. I noticed a similar writing style in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, another mystery VN. Whenever something interesting happens, every character in the room always feels the need to speak up and say...
by Kinjo
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 pm
Forum: Creator Discussion
Topic: [Dating sim questions] Would you date a partner who doesn't put you as their first?
Replies: 16
Views: 1473

Re: [Dating sim questions] Would you date a partner who doesn't put you as their first?

Like others have said, the context really matters for this one. As do the personalities of the people involved. Cancelling a date to take care of a sick mother seems justifiable and understandable. The date can be rescheduled, and someone who values their own family (sees family as something to be p...
by Kinjo
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 pm
Forum: Ideas
Topic: Would You Play This? [Murder/Mystery]
Replies: 4
Views: 676

Re: Would You Play This? [Murder/Mystery]

Sounds like a solid setup for a murder mystery. Go for it!
by Kinjo
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 am
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Question regarding offering preferred pronouns option for main player character
Replies: 27
Views: 2041

Re: Question regarding offering preferred pronouns option for main player character

I don't disagree with the concerns raised, I just don't think *I* succeeded in getting to the core of my question, and may possibly have misrepresented aspects of it. To clarify, I'm not feeling hamstrung in trying to hit an inoffensive, all-appealing baseline: They/Them is used naturally in speech...
by Kinjo
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 am
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: Question regarding offering preferred pronouns option for main player character
Replies: 27
Views: 2041

Re: Question regarding offering preferred pronouns option for main player character

Agreed with Ezmar, it really has no place in the story unless it's going to be a central point of conflict. Especially in a small rural town, there is no way the protagonist's pronoun choices would be humored -- even in 2012 they rarely were, and today it is still a point of debate. Also, since it w...
by Kinjo
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 am
Forum: Creator Discussion
Topic: Climaxes and Player Knowledge
Replies: 15
Views: 1206

Re: Climaxes and Player Knowledge

For example, say your story is about an assassin beginning to feel guilt. The climax will be the choice to kill someone and accept that she is a killer, or let the target go and realize she's more than just a dog of the military. If a player wants to go on the "Changed Woman" route, the choices the...
by Kinjo
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:43 am
Forum: Asset Creation: Writing
Topic: How to Create Compelling Antagonists/Villians in Otome Sims
Replies: 17
Views: 1461

Re: How to Create Compelling Antagonists/Villians in Otome Sims

I've heard arguments made that Shonen villains like those in DBZ and Jojo can be complicated as much as dramatic shows but I think the difference between them results in nuanced complexities. As you mentioned Breaking Bad involves the dramatic actions in a morally grey direction and I think the bes...