Guestbook

New here? Be sure to read these important posts, and then sign our guestbook.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Guestbook

#391 Post by Jake »

N0UGHTS wrote:And if you know some Python already forget it, it's probably not going to be useful. (Learned that the hard way)
To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily agree. It's not going to be incredibly useful for writing Ren'Py script, but you can embed Python lines or blocks inside Ren'Py script or even have whole python files as part of your project if you want. I'd say an understanding of Python ranges from "not inconvenient" to "pretty useful" so long as you bear in mind that Python and Ren'Py script are different.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

nothayama

#392 Post by nothayama »

Hi all,

I'm nothayama, writing from Canada. I'm de-lurking after about a month looking at this forum, and about two months learning renpy, planning out and doing first-draft stuff on an action/romance otome game. I figured it was about time to say hi, and to thank everybody who's got a game posted to the "completed games" forum. I've been sick all weekend with a miserable summer cold, and I've spent most of the time downloading and playing a bunch of your games on my laptop. It's been a lot of fun, and it's given me some good ideas about how to use the visual novel format to tell a good story.

So anyway -- I'm just wondering if there's any interest around here for a female-main-character-male-love-interests kind of story. Shoujo's always been my thing more than boys love, so that's the kind of game I want to make -- I've seen that there are a few people working on BL games, but not much written for women with a female lead (Transformation Sequence, kinda?) There aren't nearly enough good otome games out there, and almost none in English.

Nice to meet you all. I will probably be harassing everyone shortly as I try and fail to code things that are too complicated for my current skill level :)

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#393 Post by N0UGHTS »

The whole reason I decided that perhaps I should start working on a BL game is because I thought there were enough otome games being worked on here. You see, I had both an otome game and a BL game in mind... I just didn't know what to work on. (Though I guess I could've just flipped a coin instead.)

I'm sorry, I don't exactly remember what the otome games I read about were...

There's definitely an audience for otome games here. And if you're wondering, I'm part of that group. :D
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

senshi912

#394 Post by senshi912 »

.... call me senshi, or sen.... doesn't matter... it's just one of my many names. and i come from hawaii, USA! so aloha to you all! :D now let's see.... website.... i have two main websites-- my devART: [senshi912 @ devART.com] and my RP-site: [http://z6.invisionfree.com/demonicaura/]

and what to say about lemma soft.... :-D awesome games~! they're fun to play and stuff. ._. ok.... now what to say? that i can be serious or totally spastic... >3>
I WANT PUDDING! :-DDDDD
*runs away*

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#395 Post by Blue Lemma »

Welcome, all! :D
It looks like there might be a flood of otome/BL games coming :shock: (Run for cover, PyTom! :wink: )
Seriously, though, good luck to everyone!

senshi912: I eat pudding every day - seriously! :mrgreen:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#396 Post by Blue123 »

Greetings to everybody new here. I hope we all have a great time.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#397 Post by N0UGHTS »

Blue Lemma wrote:It looks like there might be a flood of otome/BL games coming :shock: (Run for cover, PyTom! :wink: )
Hey, who knows. Maybe one of these games will have more than B/B and G/B pairings. You know newbie game developers... Big ideas, big ideas... If any of them are half as tremendous and absurd as mine, it'll be a good sixth months before even the script is done! :laughs:

And at least with all these new BL and otome game developers, there'll probably be also a flood of girls jumping into the forray, both in developing and gaming...

...Is that a good thing?
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#398 Post by DaFool »

N0UGHTS wrote: And at least with all these new BL and otome game developers, there'll probably be also a flood of girls jumping into the forray, both in developing and gaming...
...Is that a good thing?
Several of the otome games and I think one of the BL games (the currently most popular one, I might add) have been developed by men.

I'd say the influx of girls has more to do with the deviant-art round-robins / cross-linking than anything else.

Just sayin'.

I can't wait to see what the second wave of developers started by Hinano will bring to the table.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#399 Post by azureXtwilight »

Blue Lemma wrote:Welcome, all! :D
It looks like there might be a flood of otome/BL games coming :shock: (Run for cover, PyTom! :wink: )
One of 'em ish me!
Okay! Back to work!

NotABot55

#400 Post by NotABot55 »

Planetary cycles passed (est): 33.64
% of games submitted here played (as of 08/10/2008): 100%
% of games submitted here finished (as of 08/10/2008): 96%
Gaming weakness: SPRT (except SPRT-GLF, SPRT-FSH), FPS, RTS
Gaming strength: RPG-A, RPG-J, TBS, ADV-P&C, ADV-TXT, ADV-VN/DS, SMUP
Planetary cycles passed playing ADV-VN/DS entries: 15.64

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#401 Post by N0UGHTS »

You're not a Monitor, are you?

Well, anyway, nice to meet you. It's always good to have an AI in the community. As long as they don't turn rampant, I mean.
World Community Grid

Ashen-tan
Regular

#402 Post by Ashen-tan »

So, uh, hey everyone. I'm here fresh from Otakon, where I actually attended the panel for Ren'Py (and subsequently talked with PyTom for about an hour and a half after the panel was over xD). You can all just call me "Ashen," and please do as the signature says. Appearances can be strikingly deceiving. <.<;;

As said, I'm here from the Ren'Py panel at Otakon. PyTom recommended that I join, so here I am. I'm a pretty competent HTML coder and I know some PHP. I actually took Advanced Placement Computer Science in high school (which was based in Java), and did decently in the class, but completely flunked the exam. Needless to say, I remember little-to-nothing of my Java. I also do some game-making using Enterbrain's RPG Maker series. I've actually got a game going right now, bordering on five years of production. ... sadly, if I'm not careful, it might turn into Duke Nukem Forever because I keep on re-envisioning it and changing it and all that fun stuff that delays games. I'm actually hoping that, with Ren'Py, I can turn that habit of constantly changing things during production around.

As for VNs... I've actually had a few ideas stuck in my head. The main one I have is in the style of Narcissu (if you haven't played it, play it), with just backgrounds and text. I was also thinking of taking one of my Pokémon fanfics (which is actually good, btw, and doesn't involve any of the anime characters) and doing a VN version of it. I'm mostly a writer, but I'm also a decent programmer, and I'm actually going to school in the fall for music composition, so my skills with that will, I hope, exponentially grow.

I mostly do VNs in a modern genre. I haven't really thought of any romance things, so... That might be something to try out someday. But, I strive to emulate my favorite VNs, like Narcissu and the Key games.

Also, I hate mushrooms, for the record (yay for reading the first few pages). Though I adore cheese, eating large-bodied fungi isn't exactly on the top of my "to-do before I die" list.
Feminine pronouns, plz.
healberry.net

Dusty
Regular

#403 Post by Dusty »

Ashen-tan wrote:I'm a pretty competent HTML coder and I know some PHP. I actually took Advanced Placement Computer Science in high school (which was based in Java), and did decently in the class, but completely flunked the exam. Needless to say, I remember little-to-nothing of my Java.
1) Java makes python harder to learn. I got so used to Java in my APCS class (got a 5, whee) that when I came over to Python I started freaking out because there as no structure and that made me all nervous and stuffs.

So the moral of the story is that Java sucks for Python and it doesn't matter if you remember it at all. >_>

2) another Narcissu? excuse me while I go cry in my room

...Okay I'm back.

3) I hate mushrooms too. But I also hate cheese and yogurt and cheese because of all the bacterias in them.

Ashen-tan
Regular

#404 Post by Ashen-tan »

Good to know.

Haha. Don't worry about the Narcissu thing. I just meant in terms of style, not in terms of "zomg crazy depressing plotline." You know, with the thin background and the text stuff.

Well, the bacteria in yogurt's actually good for you. It helps regulate your digestive tract (just like those commercials say). Not all bacteria is bad and makes you sick. Your body actually uses bacteria quite a bit for its own uses.
Feminine pronouns, plz.
healberry.net

Dusty
Regular

#405 Post by Dusty »

Ashen-tan wrote:<regarding Narcissu> I just meant in terms of style
Oh, good.
Ashen-tan wrote:Well, the bacteria in yogurt's actually good for you. It helps regulate your digestive tract (just like those commercials say). Not all bacteria is bad and makes you sick. Your body actually uses bacteria quite a bit for its own uses.
I know, but it doesn't stop it from being weird. Eh, just me being irrational.