Guestbook

New here? Be sure to read these important posts, and then sign our guestbook.
Vialixia
Regular

Re: Guestbook

#2611 Post by Vialixia »

Hey everyone! I'm Vi, currently working as a Development Tester for Ubisoft. On the side, I make my own games. My current project is called 'Idol-eyes' and is a visual novel game aimed at young girls. I have a 1st Class Hons Degree in Computer Animation and I also study Japanese!

Pleased to meet you all :)

Mephala
Regular

#2612 Post by Mephala »

Hi everyone!

Name: Mephala - Meph, Mephy, Meppy whatever else you want for short, I'm fine with really. This is my oldest pen name, I've had it at various places since I was around 12. I don't like leaving my real name around (who does) but if we ever work together, I'll share my true name since, well, I don't really respond in person to this one. :D

A little bio I suppose.

I have a BCompSc or BCS, majored in Software Development. I am most familiar with C and C++ though it has been some time since I've dabbled in it. I wouldn't say I'm a great coder but I do enjoy it as a past time, without deadlines and the pressure of forking out a few thousand dollars if I screw an assignment and must repeat a subject. It isn't that I can't code on pressure, but I find I like my code more (quality wise) when I do not have said pressure. In high school, I really enjoyed creative writing in my English classes. I will be the first to admit however, I am more comfortable with fantasy or even science fiction stuff (preferably the former) than keeping things realistic. I struggle to find an interest in this area so my writing and ideas suffer because of this. I took art classes, I enjoy painting but nothing too serious. I generally lack inspiration in this area and will happily admit that I am not a painter. I do like scribbling with pencils and find myself scribbling all sorts of stuff for fun at inappropriate times even. Colour pencils, water colours and even charcoals are fun to me.

My hobbies include video games and reading. I again prefer fantasy genres but I'm not averse to trying new things or old things on new recommendations. In terms of what I look for in games and novels, it is either a captivating story or stunning characters that simply captivate me. Dialogue plays a huge role in both. I like a bit of humour, I like a bit of action, tragedy and surprises. I can only read English and feel that I'm missing out on a lot of Japanese and Chinese great reads/games. Translations are often inferior/poorly done. At some point in my life I have discovered that a good video game or book is my means of an escape from the realities of my own life. Kind of like a small momentary holiday. Ok, bad analogy, perhaps more accurate would be it is my way of relaxing and it allows me to de-stress myself and momentarily forget about the things that trouble me. People achieve the same things with a variety of methods, TV, meditation, smoking, drinking, karaoke, yoga, sports etc. For me, it is reading or a captivating game.

Ren'py and VNs. I've considered a career of game design but my life simply didn't head out that way. Like many others, I grew with many "this would be a great idea for a game" thoughts. I can't remember my first VN, nor when I played it but the idea seems so simple yet so beautiful. In my life there hasn't been many things that I have done where I knew I wanted to. Familiarising myself with ren'py and learning to make a VN is one of them. Currently working through tutorials and practicing. I'll likely plague the appropriate support/questions forum soon when I hit some kinks, but so far my familiarity with programming and their concepts have done me well. If any single VN brought me here, it would be Katawa Shoujo. A stunning piece of work in so many ways, but its development itself is to something I can appreciate.

I'm pretty friendly and am in general looking for friends new friends. Don't hesitate to talk to me, even if it is just to say hi in a PM. If I ever talk to much, don't hesitate to tell me either! :lol:

Poly
Projects: Have You Seen the Light?

#2613 Post by Poly »

Hey! It's great to see a fellow Katawa Shoujo fan (do you hang out on their forums at all? I have a feeling I've seen your screen-name around somewhere before, but can't quite place it ...)

Mephala
Regular

#2614 Post by Mephala »

Poly, your name seems very familiar as well. Then again, it also seems a little more common. :D

I do not hang around the KS forums. I actually haven't been there at all. I've used this for some time, but in a few places it was already taken also. The place I am most commonly found now is probably on the neoGAF. Actually, in the KS gaf thread I made some posts fairly recently with a handful of avatars. Their avatars are 100x120, so smaller than the ones here though, which is a shame.

Edit: [url="..."] doesn't work?

Link for the interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=6022

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#2615 Post by zankizuna »

Vialixia wrote:Hey everyone! I'm Vi, currently working as a Development Tester for Ubisoft. On the side, I make my own games. My current project is called 'Idol-eyes' and is a visual novel game aimed at young girls. I have a 1st Class Hons Degree in Computer Animation and I also study Japanese!

Pleased to meet you all :)
You Work for Ubisoft? Really?
Cool! and, Nice profile, you must be very suited for making VNs then!

Vialixia
Regular

#2616 Post by Vialixia »

Hey Zankizuna, yes indeed, I'll have been with Ubisoft a year in May. :)

I dabbled in Ren'py a few years back, but have returned to make a full game with other artists from Ubisoft.

Mephala
Regular

#2617 Post by Mephala »

Vialixia wrote:Hey Zankizuna, yes indeed, I'll have been with Ubisoft a year in May. :)

I dabbled in Ren'py a few years back, but have returned to make a full game with other artists from Ubisoft.
That is pretty amazing. It would be so nice to have work colleagues who will work on a side project with you. That sounds awesome.

Now, if you can just convince your higher ups to get onto Prince of Persia 08 sequel I'll buy five copies of your VN when it releases. :D

Poly
Projects: Have You Seen the Light?

#2618 Post by Poly »

Vialixia wrote: I dabbled in Ren'py a few years back, but have returned to make a full game with other artists from Ubisoft.
Wow, I can't wait to see what you guys do!

Mephala: Haha! There are a few Polys around, indeed. And nice avatars, I love the transparent ones. ^^

WaldorfWW

#2619 Post by WaldorfWW »

Hello guys! I have no qualifications but I'm still working on my first visual novel. Hopefully you guys will be able to tell me whether i should be ashamed or not before making it (more) widely availiable.

Mephala
Regular

#2620 Post by Mephala »

Poly wrote: Mephala: Haha! There are a few Polys around, indeed. And nice avatars, I love the transparent ones. ^^
If you'd like I can re-make them for you in Lemma size! :D

Solunar
Regular

#2621 Post by Solunar »

Hello everyone!

Been lurking around this forum for a while and reading up. Finally decided to sign up because I want to try my hand at making a VN! This forum is really informative and everyone is really friendly, so I'm sure I'll have an enjoyable time here.

I've played a few VNs, like Katawa Shoujo, Enzai, Lamento, Silver Chaos, and Absolute Obedience. Last four are Boy's Love titles, so don't look them up if you're not prepared for the heat. 8) I'm still not sure if my first VN should have a female or male as the main. Still trying to decide as I lurk some more. :lol:

Saruwatari Mayu

#2622 Post by Saruwatari Mayu »

Hello hello ~
I am a french person who, like a lot of you I'm sure, love writing and creating stories ! I got interested with VN when I started playing japanese Otoge. I searched around for a while before discovering the Renpy engine and this community. I played quite a few indie games too, my favorite being don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story and Summer found me, and one day I said "Why not ?" and decided to try my chance too.
I found myself lucky that one of my friend accepted to draw the art for me, so this VN will be a collaboration ! ~

This forum helped me a lot so I thought I'd register ~
It's nice meeting you all /bows

Nisa-chan666
Regular

#2623 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

Hi, I'm Nisa-chan666.
I've lurked around this forum for a little while now, but now that I am writing a VN script of my own, I decided that it might be an idea to sign up here and contribute more to the community.
I'm mainly a writer, although I have yet to get anything published; this is largely due to the fact that I am currently in full-time education and as a result I'm a little short on the free time area. I do draw a little bit, but my art skills are limited at best, confined mainly to pencil and some digital colouring.
My hobbies are mainly reading and writing: I currently run a book review blog as a result of that. I also enjoy watching films, playing RPGs (both digital and tabletop) & VNs and cooking.
Regarding VNs, my interest in them was initially sparked by "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and sessions of Dungeons & Dragons. After some browsing on the internet, I was introduced to VNs and it just clicked. One of my favourites thus far is Katawa Shoujo, because it showed just how good storytelling can get in VNs.

Thanks for your time and I hope to get to know you guys more over time.

Alisyndrome

#2624 Post by Alisyndrome »

Hello everyone~
I've occasionally roamed this forum before and have been stalking it for tips and tricks to create my own visual novel n__n I always have trouble to sticking to one story since I always have so many ideas! Although since NaNoRenO is going to be starting soon I thought Id take a chance and try giving it a shot! I hope that I'll make new friends here as well! I can never find any buddies that even know what a visual novel is :c
So nice to meet you all!

Mephala
Regular

#2625 Post by Mephala »

Hello Alisyndrome, Nisa-chan, saruwatari, solunar!
Nice to see some new people. I'm very new here myself and am quite open to making new friends. Feel free to PM me for some chats, maybe we can click and work/collaborate or just chat or whatever. :D