Lemma Soft Forums Reception Desk

New here? Be sure to read these important posts, and then sign our guestbook.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Lemma Soft Forums Reception Desk

#1 Post by PyTom »

Welcome to the Lemma Soft Forums. After reading the forum descriptions, stickys, and posts in this welcome section, you still might not be sure about things like:

- In which forum to post your topic or question.
- Which forums might have certain kinds of information.
- How to start participating in the community.

This is a thread where you can ask about those things, and members of our community will answer and point you in the right direction.

ps. If you have a question about Ren'Py, just post it in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Lemma Soft Forums Reception Desk

#2 Post by PyTom »

Credit where credit is due - thanks to Lesleigh63 for coming up with the idea and a draft of the initial post.

OneManArmy77

#3 Post by OneManArmy77 »

Well this seems like as good a place as any to start. I only realize now that I have been going about this slightly wrong in that Ive been looking to take and not to give. Part of that is I am by nature a lurker since I often see someone else beats me to whatever it was I was planning on saying. So yeah, Im interested in trying to take a big step forward and actually run a large project, but Im taking the time to try and flesh out all of the characters first as well as finer plot points so that Im not just asking people to blindly put faith in me. Any ideas on what to do to actually put together a convincing pitch for a big project?

I feel like part of my problem is that Ive been an editor for 1.5 years and the novel I was writing got sidelined when someone jacked my computer, so I have little to show others in the way of impressive writing. Id also like to try and give back here a little, but Im unsure of what discussions I can actually add to in a meaningful way. I dont like talking for the sake of talking. Ideas?

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#4 Post by Laiska »

OneManArmy77 wrote:Well this seems like as good a place as any to start. I only realize now that I have been going about this slightly wrong in that Ive been looking to take and not to give. Part of that is I am by nature a lurker since I often see someone else beats me to whatever it was I was planning on saying. So yeah, Im interested in trying to take a big step forward and actually run a large project, but Im taking the time to try and flesh out all of the characters first as well as finer plot points so that Im not just asking people to blindly put faith in me. Any ideas on what to do to actually put together a convincing pitch for a big project?

I feel like part of my problem is that Ive been an editor for 1.5 years and the novel I was writing got sidelined when someone jacked my computer, so I have little to show others in the way of impressive writing. Id also like to try and give back here a little, but Im unsure of what discussions I can actually add to in a meaningful way. I dont like talking for the sake of talking. Ideas?
Honestly, the single most important thing you can do to build confidence in a large project is to show people that you can complete a small project. You may have a grand vision to bake a 10-tiered wedding cake, but who will trust you to do that when you don't even have a cupcake for them to taste? All of us creators have very large dreams, but you learn a lot from tackling something scaled down first—that is, completing a project, any project, will teach you a lot more about the projects to come.

If you want to really start getting a foot in the community while you're building your own work/pitch, I think the easiest way, beyond vapid discussion, is to participate in the projects of others. You are a writer/editor, so seek out other projects where those skills could be of use. As a writer myself, I know that can occasionally seem unlikely, but in a field like VNs it's actually a fairly in-demand skill. If you don't have time for that, just looking through other people's threads or playing their demos and giving them thorough feedback (where desired) can be a massive help to some, as well.

tl;dr- Be active in the projects, help others out, start small and build up something to show for yourself while your opus gestates in the background.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#5 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Laiska wrote: Honestly, the single most important thing you can do to build confidence in a large project is to show people that you can complete a small project.
I have to agree with Laiska. Making a small project will help you understand what's involved in trying to run a larger project.
Write you're script for a small project and go from there (even if you use creative commons artwork) and get something finished and out there.

OneManArmy77

#6 Post by OneManArmy77 »

Thank you both for the input. Ill hold out just a tad longer to see if one of my slightly more experienced and accredited acquaintances is interested in pitching in for the big project, but I might just go with the short story otherwise. Thankfully I have a decent idea for a lighthearted adventure.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#7 Post by somestrangecircus »

I need someone to help me redo my blog's design. This obviously isn't related to an ongoing visual novel, so I don't think I can post it in the recruitment forums. Where should I post a request for it?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

You can look in http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=66 to see if anyone is offering to do the job. There really isn't a good place for this - web design is mostly off-topic for the forum. (As a rule, we delete non-VN-related recruitment posts.)

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#9 Post by somestrangecircus »

I'll take a look. I wasn't sure; I just thought I'd try asking here because I don't really have a better place to ask.

Nolonyo

A begginner who needs guidance

#10 Post by Nolonyo »

Hello everyone, I'm going to post this here, because I don't know where I must.

I would like to start making my own visual novel project for android and I've found ren'py and this forum.

I have in mind an higly interactive visual novel, that in the future (far far away future :D) will make use of the camera, accelerometer, and microphone in different ways but the most important "thing" is the clock (or system time).

I have a computer science degree and I know very well, C, C++ and I feel very confortable using Python (I know web programming too) that is because I have though in using ren'py to develop my project.

Although I have no idea of Android or Java coding at all (yeah, I want to make a game for android without knowing it :roll: ).

To begin with, I would like to make a simple "hello world" example, but the second step would be to show a message to the user at certain hour, making use of android notification service. It would be that possible with ren'py using the android API?.

Then to be more specific, my points are:
1. Hello, nice to meet you :D .
2. I want to make an interactive novel for android or portable devices that make use of the system clock and maybe other more advanced devices in the future too.
3. Is Ren'py suitable for point 2?.
4. If Ren'py is not suitable for point 2, then what do you suggest me?.
5. If Ren'py is suitable for point 2, please tell me where to start.
6. Tell me any thoughs you have after you have read this.
7. Thanks :D .

Sorry about my grammar, english is not my first language

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#11 Post by Tempus »

@Nolonyo: Hey, welcome to the forums!

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you post it as its own thread in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements subforum that'll get it in front of more programmers who might know. There's also the #renpy IRC channel on Freenode.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Nolonyo

#12 Post by Nolonyo »

@Tempus
Thanks for the reply, I have copied the post to the suggested thread.

Amecha
Regular

#13 Post by Amecha »

Whats the policy on thread necromancy?

I ask because I tend to frequent more active forums and because of the slowness of this, some of the threads on the first page of a subforum can be as old as a month or more. Is everything on the first page free game as a standard? Also I noticed in a thread someone had commented about a year after the comment before and no one mentioned anything. Which of course doesn't always mean its not against the rules or in bad taste.

I understand since the forum is on the slower side this may not be as big of a problem but I still assume there is a sort of cut-off time where its no longer reasonable to revive a thread because of just how long its been dead. But I'm also curious if its just in better taste to revive a thread instead of making an entirely new one in certain circumstances? (Like a thread that say I made for a project, instead of making a new one I could just revive my old one provided I have new information to add, but that really only applies to threads you've made and not other user's threads. And I'm sure there may be an example that could possibly justify revival over creating when it comes to another person's thread, but I simply can't think of one right now.)

Sorry if this was already covered somewhere else.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#14 Post by PyTom »

Generally, we frown upon multiple threads for the same project in the same forum. So posting in an old thread there is usually the right thing.

We don't really have a formal policy, and trust our posters to do the right thing. When it comes to questions, it might make sense to post in an existing thread if you need a clarification, especially if the post references existing code. But at the same time, posting something brand new in a thread marked [solved], it might not get noticed.

Mariaachi
Regular

#15 Post by Mariaachi »

Hello! Newbie Question but when Posting images on the forum how do we post it as regular images and not the whole attachment box thing. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such a question!