A Monster's Insight [NaNo2021][Horror][Mystery][Sci-Fi]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aracade
Regular
Completed: A Monster's Insight, LUNACY, Gulam
Github: arkicade
itch: arkicade

A Monster's Insight [NaNo2021][Horror][Mystery][Sci-Fi]

#1 Post by Aracade »

- DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE -
https://arkicade.itch.io/a-monsters-insight

- STORY -
You are a monster known as the “silver-tongued”. What many don’t know is that you’re a siphon, a being that needs to feed on the mental energy of others to continue living. Unfortunately, as a weak, low-standing monster, you lack the reputation to convince anyone to lend you their spirit. You have nothing, but your words.

But that doesn't stop your ambition...

Persuading the most mighty beings in the realm to lend you power (of all people), is no easy task. But perhaps they underestimate the power of your words, and... more importantly your power of INSIGHT: the ability to get a glimpse into the minds of others.

- GAMEPLAY-
The game takes place over three conversations with different great terrors of the OUTERWORLD. During these conversations, you have to change your PRESENCE, PERCEPTION and KNOWLEDGE to convince each great terror to let you be their siphon, or let you consume their power...

For each interlocutor (or great terror) there are at least 3 different strategies you can use in order convince them; there's no single right way to get someone on your side. Robust chains of reasoning, emotional manipulation or even blackmail is all on the table!

This game includes stat-raising and different forms of gameplay (apart from reading text). One such example is when you use your power of INSIGHT (to look inside the minds of your interlocutors) which includes puzzle sections and top-down exploration.

- FEATURES-
  • 7 unique endings
  • 2 different forms of gameplay (visual novel/puzzle exploration)
  • Stat raising and stat checks
  • Assist mode and a Challenge mode
  • Parallax animated images that move with the mouse (You can see such an image below)
  • Original Soundtrack
  • 45,000+ words

A little sneak peak of the game and its parallax/animated images.

- CREDITS-

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

Re: A Monster's Insight [NaNo2021][Horror][Mystery][Sci-Fi]

#2 Post by Amiralo »

I'm ready!
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Aracade
Regular

#3 Post by Aracade »

Amiralo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 amI'm ready!
Yes!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.

#4 Post by Amiralo »

Super brief feed back

I love the world that you created, it really is like nothing I have ever seen before

The only problem is that I don't have enough "Perception" (a.k.a I'm not smart enough) and can't seem to win the favor of any Gods lmao.

Will you release a walkthrough sometime?
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project

Aracade
Regular

#5 Post by Aracade »

Amiralo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:07 pm Super brief feed back

I love the world that you created, it really is like nothing I have ever seen before

The only problem is that I don't have enough "Perception" (a.k.a I'm not smart enough) and can't seem to win the favor of any Gods lmao.

Will you release a walkthrough sometime?
Hi! Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Walkthrough is definitely coming but it'll have to be in parts (as there are so many strategies it'll take a while).

But right now I can tell you that perception is really important! Before you talk to Fernweh (first interlocutor) have 1 perception stat.
But don't worry, you'll never need more than 2 perception throughout the entire game.
!! Spoiler !! 1 strategy to defeat Fernweh:
One way is BEFORE you talk to Fernweh, go "scouting for information" (instead of raising stats again) and then go to "the bar downton"/Zilker. At the bar you'll get the keyword "MAP".

Ask about "MAP" and THEN choose the second or third option available ("But did you really make it?" OR "Is there only one copy of the map?")
You'll be asked to do a puzzle section and THEN you'll have to pass some tests afterward.

If you want to see what options give you what stats, then toggle ON "emotion hints" from the preferences menu or select "Assist Mode" at the beginning. Playing in Assist Mode won't block you from seeing any of the "true endings" so I'd highly recommend using it!

Amiralo
Regular

#6 Post by Amiralo »

Ok I finished the game by talking Fernweh to death, Pitting Cor against Meum and becoming D's right hand man.
Ok now for a more in-depth review

The first thing that impressed me was how cohesive the game felt. Everything from the art style to the music matched perfectly and struck the right chord off the bat. Another impressive feat was how you managed the word building. While the story remained focused on the MC and his struggles, the small details revealed made the setting a uniquely horrifying yet quirky world.

The character concepts were also incredibly original: Eldritch Gods + Insecurities? Yes please. Every single greater terror was a blast to learn about and the MC himself oozes conman charm.

10/10 would attempt to gaslight cosmic horrors at the price of my own life again.

My current project

Aracade
Regular

#7 Post by Aracade »

Amiralo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:31 am
Ok I finished the game by talking Fernweh to death, Pitting Cor against Meum and becoming D's right hand man.
Ok now for a more in-depth review

The first thing that impressed me was how cohesive the game felt. Everything from the art style to the music matched perfectly and struck the right chord off the bat. Another impressive feat was how you managed the word building. While the story remained focused on the MC and his struggles, the small details revealed made the setting a uniquely horrifying yet quirky world.

The character concepts were also incredibly original: Eldritch Gods + Insecurities? Yes please. Every single greater terror was a blast to learn about and the MC himself oozes conman charm.

10/10 would attempt to gaslight cosmic horrors at the price of my own life again.
Thank you very for your feedback Amiralo, I'm so glad that you enjoyed "A Monster's Insight"!
I tried to make sure that even in a bizarre world there was a logic or "cohesiveness" to it all :)

The game definitely wouldn't have been the same without LGM's incredible soundtrack (which you can listen to here):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V743tel ... oblinmusic

elixxxirium

#8 Post by elixxxirium »

I tried out this game and I was blown away. Incredible. It's got a lot of style.

First off, the art. Really puts out a nice gruesome look, the cloud effects are cool and work well with the music. The location of the game is unique and stands out. I'm truly in another world. My favorite monster design is Cor Meum.

Really excellent job on the coding and implementing a sort of word puzzle battle scene. The puzzles themselves are a little too simplistic and I think the way you navigate the hand could use more tweaking (I would just focus more on the word puzzle itself) but damn, the battles are cool af.

The game's ideas and concepts are a neat as hell but I don't think it worked well in execution. The idea of getting gaslighted by monsters and gaslighting against monsters sounds interesting but the writing in the game just lost me. I was really confused by all the world building lore/words being thrown at me but I understand that as a player, I should try to enjoy the ride and learn as I go, but man, when I talked to the first monster, Fernweh, jeez, I had a hard time following along even with the game giving me hints. I knew Fernweh was insulting me about something but I had no clue what the heck he/she was talking about at all. My player character has no stakes, no personal issues in this (i think) so emotionally, I felt nothing.

The music is one of the best things out of this game. LGM is a treasure. Felt like I was in a Silent Hill themed coffee house.

It's a game that I'll probably replay and try out other things in just to see if I'm missing out on something. But yeah, great job on this game. If you ever release another horror title, I'd be so down to play it.