The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Steam and Itchio] [BxB]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alexis_Royce
Regular
Projects: May I Take Your Order, Off the Cuff, Case of the Serialized Killer
itch: alexisroyce

The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Steam and Itchio] [BxB]

#1 Post by Alexis_Royce »

When a popular illustrator is found dead, disgraced demonologist Harold Ludicael is hired to summon her ghost. But he’s hiding a secret:

Ghosts are as fake as all the other lies coming out of Ludicael's mouth.

We hope you enjoy our Edwardian-inspired visual novel with creeping monsters, summoning magic, and a cast with Queer main characters. It has:

-Over 20,000 words

-Point and Click Investigation

-Traditionally painted watercolor characters and locations

-A journal which keeps track of a colorful list of suspects and lore

-A content warning document, so you have control over whether or not you want to read warnings

-Good and Bad Endings

We originally made this for the 3rd Annual Spooktober VN Jam, so if you enjoy it, there are a lot more games that other people submitted, too! There are prizes for people who play the games, too, so if you're interested in streaming this, we encourage you to do so!
Last edited by Alexis_Royce on Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

carrot_
Regular
Completed: OC, StLD, T2A2G, OFW, Easter
Projects: Our Wonderland
Tumblr: just-a-carrot
itch: carrotpatchgames

Re: The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Horror] [BxB]

#2 Post by carrot_ »

Oh, gosh. I love everything about this! The style of the art looks phenomenal and something I've at least never personally seen in another VN before. Really loving the design of the two characters in the title shot, too. Super intrigued and will definitely be downloading this to check it out!

Alexis_Royce
Regular

Re: The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Horror] [BxB]

#3 Post by Alexis_Royce »

carrot_ wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:39 am Oh, gosh. I love everything about this! The style of the art looks phenomenal and something I've at least never personally seen in another VN before. Really loving the design of the two characters in the title shot, too. Super intrigued and will definitely be downloading this to check it out!
Hey thank you! The two main characters have been a pair that I’ve really been wanting to work with for a while. And I really appreciated that the team supported me in the visual design I did for the look of the game; I tried a limited color palette that was really different from my usual bright stuff.

Anyway, if you do play and have any crit, feel free to post it, it would be much appreciated! We want to keep getting better with every game.

Alexis_Royce
Regular

Re: The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Comedy] [Horror] [BxB]

#4 Post by Alexis_Royce »

Thank you to everyone who played the jam version of Serialized Killer! We're pleased to be presenting the 1.0 version of the game, which includes:

-Minor graphical tweaks, including the ability to have Harold shut his stupid mouth!

-Text Edits

-Full journal functionality

-And new endings! Before, we'd just had the true ending and one generic bad ending. But now, each incorrect culprit has a different short ending of their own.

Also, the winners of the Spooktober Jam were announced, and we were deeply honored to learn that we'd made it onto the shortlist! That's an amazing feeling, and it thankfully gives me one less cool game on my to-play list. As you can imagine, I've played through this one quite a lot already.

Alexis_Royce
Regular

Re: The Case of the Serialized Killer [Watercolor] [Mystery] [Comedy] [Horror] [BxB]

#5 Post by Alexis_Royce »

A couple updates! One, I made a prequel to this game, which you can find over here!

But more relevant to this game itself, we uploaded a web demo, so now you can try the game without having to download it.

Also, the whole game has been translated (with our blessing) into Russian! It's not just the text, but all handwritten elements as well, like the journal:

It's really wonderful getting to talk to translators, hearing about what resonates with them and how they bring that through and their own touch to our scripts. <3 The translation can be found on the main itchio page, for PC, Mac and Linux.

Alexis_Royce
Regular

#6 Post by Alexis_Royce »

---
Hello all! In preparation for the Steam Release, I've been making some quality of life adjustments to The Case of the Serialized Killer! Version 1.2 is mostly the same as original, but has a few changes.
---
  • Navigation through the mansion is now done via map! This comes into play when Hawley and Harry are first exploring, and then again during the investigation section in the second half of the game,
  • Script Edits! One of the challenges of any murder mystery is how to introduce suspects without bogging down pacing. The first exploration section has been moved after Myers' introduction, which should hopefully break up that section a bit. A couple other mechanics have been clarified a bit, and there have been a couple bits and bobs added.
  • Sound Effects have been added to the journal, and the page corners now visually highlight when you hover over them,
  • A few more sound effects in general have been added to the game,
  • The alerts when Hawley writes a note are much clearer now; the sound effect is louder, and the journal icon blinks for a moment,
  • Hawley's imp section has had a couple graphical edits,
  • Sprites auto-highlight when characters are talking,
  • Minor menu touch-ups,
  • Additional CGs! We got as much art into the original as we could, but it was somewhat lacking in the CG department. There are now four more CGs, including one in the true end!